• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cooking in tagine

helenas

Helena, have you cooked using it yet?  What do you think?

No :sad: : it looks like my tagine is not for stovetop use. So i'm thinking about Le Creuset.

Speaking of Le Creuset, thanks for pointing to Karahi: looks great! And also their Tawa :wub:

I also have recieved the Karahi and Tawa. The Karahi set looks great.. the shape is not really a Karahi shape. The tawa is not shaped like a tawa either.. wonder what they were thinking? :blink:

But they are yet to be used by me... so I shall let you know what I think.

I love the Lodge Wok. It has great weight to work as a good Indian karahi. You can keep stirring without having to worry about shifting the wok too much.

Well, at the very least it is a 'Authentic Westernized' version of a tagine. I think that it should work fine, my only quibble is that it is rather small. You wouldn't be able to do many lamb shanks for instance.

Adam, I have had the same problem with the Tagine. It is far too small. When I make a tagine, I invite a bunch of friends, and the tagine is mantled as the main dish. Cannot do that with this Le Creuset one. It does look very pretty though.

I hadn't really thought about the size issue. I would certainly only do a tagine for a group of at least four. It seems to be so festive, what is the point of a tagine for one or two? Thanks for that before I blindly go get the Le Creuset. Back to the drawing boards.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose