• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

flat white/doubledouble/skinny latte?

Hi--In light of the recent Starbucks adopting Italian coffee phrases I was trying to remember the coffee phrase in Australia for a black coffee..I remember flat white (coffee and cream?), but there was one for a a large black coffee...not americano or expresso--any takers?? freddychef

I thought a long black was what I've seen called an Americano in London (not that I trust London when it comes to coffee :wacko:): an espresso shot with water added, rather than a large cup of espresso (ie, multiple shots).

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

I thought a long black was what I've seen called an Americano in London (not that I trust London when it comes to coffee :wacko:): an espresso shot with water added, rather than a large cup of espresso (ie, multiple shots).

In Adelaide a long black is usually a LARGE expresso but I've found that everything is so much different everywhere that even I get confused. Try getting a short white in NYC like I did last year - all my wife did was laugh like hell at me. Damn native NY'ers :biggrin:

I want food and I want it now

On a different note , what about culinary terms like meat cut terminology? While in tasmania I asked a butcher what exactly was a `scotch fillet` and a few other choice terms that are unknown here in Canada? I cannot remember any ow though...freddychef