• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onion Confit

woodburner

Hmm, woke up this morning and it's still pretty liquid. I put it on last night about 11:00, left it overnight on low with the lid on. It' s now 7:30 a.m. I've turned it to high, but I left the lid on.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I had to take my lid off or I would have never gotten there. But then, I had a failing stock pot.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I may have to do that too. This particular crockpot is fairly old. It's got little flowers and stuff around the bottom :biggrin: ) How long should it take in a crockpot? 10 hours? 24 hours? I have to go to the gym in an hour. I'll put it back to low and leave the lid on while I'm gone (cats you know). Then I'll take the lid off when I get home if I need to.

Marlene

Marlene,

I went out and bought a crockpot for just this reason.

I left it on overnight with the lid on and there was liquid, but not that much. Did your onions brown? I put my crockpot on low, but it didn't seem "that low."

I just drained the liquid and the onions were fantastic.

Msk

Yes they are getting brown. I think there's more liquid than there should be, so I'm going to let it cook a bit longer and see what happens.

Smells wonderful though!

Marlene

Just to keep ya'll updated :biggrin: . Went to the gym for two hours. Left the confit in the the crockpot on high with the lid on. No real change. I've now taken the lid off and left it on high. Argghhh!

Marlene

oh rats. ok, I'll turn it down to low. :blink:

edited to add: never mind, I'll leave it on high with the lid off. It's barely bubbling at that.

somebody help!

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

I've now put the back on and kept it on high. There was nary a bubble coming from it since I took the lid off. This stuff has now been simmering for 15 hours. Surely it should have reached marmalade consistency by now? At some point, I shall give up and just use this stuff for a french onion soup.

I think (sob) that I may be a confit failure :sad:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Maybe I've got fifi's problem with the crockpot. It is an old one after all. I can drag out my new one and see if it's any better :blink:

Marlene

I don't think you've done anything wrong, if that's what you're afraid of.

If the pot's not bubbling at all even on high, the thermostat on your crockpot has probably gone bye-bye. They're not worth fixing, so you're due for a new one.

But even on high with the lid off, onions often shed liquid faster than it can evaporate, and this is exacerbated by adding flavoring (salt, plus liquids like wine, vinegar, demiglace, etc.) at the beginning. It just takes a while, and that's why it's too wet. Your faulty pot is extending the process.

You've got three choices: 1) strain the onions and discard the liquid; 2) strain the onions and reduce the liquid, then add it back to the onions; 3) dump the whole mess into a pot and reduce the liquid with the onions still in it. Which one you should do depends on the texture of the onions. If they're done, choose (1) or (2), depending on whether you want the liquid as part of the finsished product. If they're not, go for (3).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thank you Dave for hearing my plea :biggrin: Yes indeed that's what I was afraid of. I was afraid that somehow, I'd ticked off the Confit Gods. :biggrin:

When the lid was on and the crockpot was on high, it did bubble, but not excessively so. Take the lid off and nothing. This after 15 hours.

So, I took the stuff and dumped it into a pot. Reduced it till it resembled an extremely thick stew, then strained it. It looks like I've got confit anyway. I shall take pics and post them later. In the meantime, I do have a much newer crockpot, one of those smart ones that shut off after 10 hours max. Although as my husband pointed out this morning, it's not like I sleep for 10 hours so I could always reset the thing when I got up if necessary.

I shall try this again, in my newer crockpot. This one can go in the garbage. :rolleyes:

Marlene

I had the same surprise's that you encountered. My confit was slowly simmered in my Lodge cast iron skillet, (200ºF oven)uncovered for many hours, and I too, saw little evidence of any moisture evaportation. Not to be rattled I moved it onto the stove and let it simmer overnight, only to find the same scenerio, very little evaporation.

Before storage and after cooking, I saw no need to remove any of the goodness, and moved liquid and all to the ice box.

Now I just remove what I need with a fork from the mother container, and slowly reheat it.

If something went wrong, it happened to both of us, but good god, what a great mistake. :laugh:

woodburner

Let's see... I started mine about four in the afternoon and it was done about noon the next day, lid off. I didn't want to throw away any liquid but wanted to concentrate it. I wasn't going anywhere so I just left it on a d forgot about it.

Oh dear... I hope you didn't buy the same crock pot I did. See my tale of whoa here.

If I would have read the reviews in the Target web site, I wouldn't have gotten that one. I am taking it back and getting the simple one... low, high, warm.

edit to add: That thread has some funny stuff in it. Check out mudpuppie's version of geese attacking okra on page 2. :laugh::laugh::laugh: (OK... maybe you had to be there.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Maybe I just didn't cook it long enough. Who knows, I'm a novice here :biggrin: . Fifi, I have a Smart Pot but I don't think it's the same as yours, at least I don't have the same kind of trouble with it. I use it all the time. I'll use it for the confit next time and just keep resetting it if I need to.

Anyway, no pics yet, (hubby has to download for me), but it does taste good. And yes, I did throw in some bacon :biggrin:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Marlene, my sympathies, I had parallel problems with my crockpot confit last night. Chucked in about eight large onions with butter + oil, no extra liquid, no sugar, started it up about 9pm, left overnight on low, checked this morning at 8am and onions sort of pale tan rather than treacly brown, and totally awash in juice. I'm in again tonight and will be boiling them down in a normal pan. They tasted good, very sweet, but I wonder if to be entirely successful I should have either had them on high overnight, or started them off frying in the normal way and then transferred them to the crockpot when they'd got a bit of colour (and driven off a bit of liquid)? Any thoughts?

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I'm wondering if I should reduce the amount of butter and oil and leave it on high?

Not that I am happy about your problems curly, but I am delighted to discover it isn't just me :biggrin:

Marlene

Too much oil/butter would certainly explain why it didn't concentrate any further.

Msk

I agree, but I used Fifi's recipe exactly, except I added a couple of slices of bacon.

Marlene