• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onion Confit

woodburner

OK, a question for all you pros who are ahead of me on this. I'm going to make my first onion confit this weekend using essentially Fifi's recipe (the beef demi glace version). I have no demi glace and don't want to buy store bought, but I have quite a bit of good, homemade beef stock. As a substitute for the 1/2 C demi glace, I'm thinking of starting with 2 C of beef stock and reducing it down to approximately 1/2 C before adding it to the confit. Should I add any other seasonings? For the rest, I'm following Fifi's recipe, using Amontillado for the Sherry. Any other pointers? Thanks.

THW

Reducing the stock prior to adding is the right way to go. You are actually making the demi glace. Having just done it with both beef and ckicken, I am more convinced that the main thing that either adds is texture.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Reducing the stock prior to adding is the right way to go. You are actually making the demi glace. Having just done it with both beef and ckicken, I am more convinced that the main thing that either adds is texture.

Thanks, Fifi. I'm a little unsure since this is the first time out, but what I did was boil the 2 C of beef stock down to 1/2 C first. I'm using a 7 qt (I think) LC, and at first, the six onions filled it up pretty well. After doing the 10 minute and then the 30 minute cooking, with stuff stirred in per your recipe, the mass had reduced down to where I could have used the 4.5 qt instead. Anyway, I popped them covered into a 200 degree oven about 9:30 last night. This morning at 8:00 am, they were considerably darker, but still a lot of liquid. And the taste was sort of sickly sweet. If I didn't know better, I'd call this a screw up - of which I've had many :raz: - but based on others' results, I'm assuming the taste will improve as the onions caramelize more thoroughly. Will report back when the deed is finally done with a few pics also. Thanks again.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Seems like a waste of good demi-glace, in that case, don't you think? (Or maybe I'm only saying that because my own supply is running low and therefore being hoarded. I should really get my act together and make up another big batch while the weather is still cool....)

Seems like a waste of good demi-glace, in that case, don't you think? (Or maybe I'm only saying that because my own supply is running low and therefore being hoarded. I should really get my act together and make up another big batch while the weather is still cool....)

Ah me dear... I disagree. What more noble use of a good demi glace than to add that silky texture to a good onion confit? Hoard not!

While I do enjoy making stock on a nasty winter day, I really don't mind doing it any time of the year. I try to pick a day when I have to be hanging out at home anyway. If I do have to be out and about, I resort to the "shove it in the oven" routine and let it perk.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Onion confit finally done. Here's a brief rundown. Started with Fifi's recipe, except used 2 C homemade beef stock reduced down to 1/2 C (instead of demi glace), plus added 3 Tbsp Amontillado Sherry (and finally 3 Tbsp Ruby Port - see below). Did the 10 minute, then the 30 minute sautes, popped into a preheated 200F oven about 9:30 Friday night. Here are a few pics and comments.

i4109.jpg

Onions after 10 minutes. This is approximately a 6 qt LC; probably should have used a smaller pot.

i4110.jpg

Onions after 15 hours. Still a lot of liquid, caramelizing not nearly complete, and taste so-so.

i4111.jpg

Onions after 18 hours, including a 45 minute stove top simmer to finally reduce liquid. Added 3 Tbsp Ruby Port before the 45 minute simmering.

i4112.jpg

The finished product on a boiled and buttered potato (skin on). The plating leaves much to be desired (mine usually does :raz:), but very tasty. Lemon and dill salmon on the side.

After the fact, my suspicion is that the Amontillado Sherry is too dry for the confit. At 15 hours, still a lot of liquid, and taste sort of sickly sweet, although improving every hour. At 18 hours, I I decided to blow off the 200F oven and simmer uncovered on stove top. Also added 3 Tbsp good Ruby Port. Simmered for about 45 minutes, until most liquid evaporated. Taste very much improved, by the Port I assume. The confit was delicious on the potato.

This confit takes quite a bit of time, but very little active attention. Next try, I'll skip the Sherry and use Ruby Port from the beginning. Thanks to Woodburner, Fifi, and all the others for all the great work on this. My taste buds send their best regards to all of you :laugh:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Ah me dear... I disagree. What more noble use of a good demi glace than to add that silky texture to a good onion confit?

Easily answered. Why, one which also takes advantage of its flavor, of course. I do see your point, but somehow it just seems to me a bit cavalier to use demi-glace as a glorified thickener if you really aren't going to be able to taste the difference. What exactly was the point of all that carefully monitored simmering and reducing (and all that subsequent scrubbing!), if not to capture the essence, the concentrated taste of all those lovely bones and bits of things?

Of course, flavor and texture are both so subjective, it may well be that one woman's texture turns out to be another woman's flavor enhancement as well; I'd want to make it both ways simply to see how I perceive the difference between the two. But IAC I shall have to start without demi-glace, because I ain't got enough of it on hand to do otherwise, and I don't want to put off the confit experiment for a minute more than necessary (the only reason I've delayed this long being a mislaying of borrowed, or rather un-borrowed, crockpot, and the knowledge that my new one can be expected to arrive Any Day Now.)

You are raising a good point. Actually, I can't taste a whole lot of the demi glace in the confit as I think that the onion overpowers everything. That comes from comparing the chicken and beef demi glace. But I do see a difference in texture. I think that is one of the things that the bacon screwed up. So now the question is... could you just add some sheets of gelatin to the mix and get the same effect?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

But I do see a difference in texture. I think that is one of the things that the bacon screwed up. So now the question is... could you just add some sheets of gelatin to the mix and get the same effect?

Oh, I just had the weirdest thought. You know, when I posted earlier about using demi-glace as a thickener I was of course talking through my hat; because you hadn't actually described the nature of the difference in texture - except, that is, for those seductive mentions of its silkiness. OTOH you didn't take issue with my saying so, which leads me to think that what we're talking about is at least in part a thickening effect. And now you speculate about gelatine, which is after all logical, since it's a by-product of a parallel process to the making of demi-glace (as who should know better than I, after all those gallons of calf's-foot jelly!). Notwithstanding all which it suddenly occurs to me to wonder: gelatine? or... or... or... pectin?

Be it clearly understood I'm talking through my hat yet again, because as I realize all too well I am just about the only person on all of eGullet who hasn't yet made onion confit. (But of course that makes me really unbiased, right? :rolleyes: ) And I know I must not fall into the trap of extending confit into confiture merely because of semantics. But remembering what various posts have said about the marmalade-like consistency, and the evolving sweetness, and the surplus liquid - well, you see where my wayward mind is heading; I can't help wondering just what-all is really going on with those sugars and juices and acids. Maybe it really is confiture after all - or would be if you gave it that extra kick in the pants to make it jell. Onions and apples work well together - very well, as anyone knows who has made or eaten a Cheshire pork pie. So maybe natural pectin is the thing; maybe there's a future in apple-&-onion confit - with or without the -ure.

Call me crazy. Won't be the first time; won't be the last. But I'm kinda thinking that I might have to try this - on my second batch, that is.

Oh, I just had the weirdest thought. You know, when I posted earlier about using demi-glace as a thickener I was of course talking through my hat; because you hadn't actually described the nature of the difference in texture - except, that is, for those seductive mentions of its silkiness. OTOH you didn't take issue with my saying so, which leads me to think that what we're talking about is at least in part a thickening effect. And now you speculate about gelatine, which is after all logical, since it's a by-product of a parallel process to the making of demi-glace (as who should know better than I, after all those gallons of calf's-foot jelly!). Notwithstanding all which it suddenly occurs to me to wonder: gelatine? or... or... or... pectin?

Be it clearly understood I'm talking through my hat yet again, because as I realize all too well I am just about the only person on all of eGullet who hasn't yet made onion confit. (But of course that makes me really unbiased, right? :rolleyes: ) And I know I must not fall into the trap of extending confit into confiture merely because of semantics. But remembering what various posts have said about the marmalade-like consistency, and the evolving sweetness, and the surplus liquid - well, you see where my wayward mind is heading; I can't help wondering just what-all is really going on with those sugars and juices and acids. Maybe it really is confiture after all - or would be if you gave it that extra kick in the pants to make it jell. Onions and apples work well together - very well, as anyone knows who has made or eaten a Cheshire pork pie. So maybe natural pectin is the thing; maybe there's a future in apple-&-onion confit - with or without the -ure.

Call me crazy. Won't be the first time; won't be the last. But I'm kinda thinking that I might have to try this - on my second batch, that is.

lg, m'dear, you're not "talking out your hat"! :smile:

There's been much discussion of the term "confit" here. To me it means more than just "preserved". After all, my sainted ancestors, who had to survive without the benefit of refrigeration, employed salting, drying, canning as means to an end. We modern foodies pursue a different end: the ancient arts of food preservation are re-tasked to our own purposes.

Onion "confit" for me comprises a savory/sweet delectable substance. I've been playing with the (relatively) instant-gratification method espoused by Schneich.

Feel free to experiment with pectin, agar, gelatin, or whatever else suits your fancy. I've been using rather rich, gelatinous stocks to enrich my onion confit. I don't have access to the gorgeous small onions that Schneich showed in his wonderful illustrations, but the plain ol' storage onions I can buy in my local supermarket do well enough when cooked down in a large skillet. Schneich is right about at least one thing: The onions must be browned to the edge of "burnt" to get that complex, intriguing caramelized character.

Oh, and to everyone else pursuing the crock-pot methods, I applaud your efforts - I just haven't gotten around to trying them yet. :smile:

I've had my confit in the crock pot on high since about 10 this morning (lid cocked so some of the steam escaped.) It's pretty brown, but not as deep mahogany as the photo in this thread, so I removed it from the pot (the edges were looking black) and will cook it some more tomorrow on the low setting. I'm afraid if I left it on all night, the whole thing would be black. I added the demi-glace, but no port. It's pretty awsome right now. Will report back.

Stop Family Violence

... I can't taste a whole lot of the demi glace in the confit as I think that the onion overpowers everything.

See this I just don't get. My confit, which is all gone now, alas, came out tasting and smelling decidedly beefy. This is no bad thing, as I've mentioned above. I served the last of the confit to a couple friends we had over on Saturday, and one of them was heard to exclaim that "This stuff is great, it's like French onion soup, without the soup.... it's, it's French Onion GOOP!"

But I used five or six ice cubes of my eGCI beef stock. I would think, with demi glace, especially a half cup (!) of that stuff, you'd get more beef flavor, not less. And before you ask, fifi, my onions were plain old yellow onions from a supermarket 3 pound bag. Not sweet onions.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I am now part of the Onion Confit club! Here's what I did- sliced the six onions and dumped them in the slow cooker, added 1/4 cup of port, 2 Tbs. butter, 1 Tbs. EVOL, two bay leaves and a couple of teaspoons of dried thyme- oh, and some condensed vegetable bouillon- maybe 2 Tsps. I set the cooker on high for about two hours and then low overnight. This morning I have the most beautiful confit! I'm making some bread to serve it with- I may run out and get some goat cheese to smear on. Good stuff and so easy! Btw: my crock pot is oblong and larger then most crock pots and heats up pretty well- It's a Rival Crock Pot slow cooker. I didn't have any of the problems that other people did re: too much liquid- probably because I took it easy on the port, butter and EVOO and because the bouillon was condensed.

Melissa

I set the cooker on high for about two hours and then low overnight.  This morning I have the most beautiful confit!  I'm making some bread to serve it with- I may run out and get some goat cheese to smear on.  Good stuff and so easy!

Toasted;

You will not be disappointed with the goat cheese. I tried some of mine on a plain roll (storebought, alas) with Montrachet and it is outstanding. I think it would have been even better with a stronger flavored chevre. And if I'd had some real sourdough instead, would doubtless have been even better yet.

THW

So what did everybody do with their confit? I used mine on bread with goat cheese, over perogie's (very good) on some rustic style pizza with roasted peppers and a sprinkling of gorganzola and lastly, over some smashed red potatoes with butter. Now I'm out so I'm making some right now- same recipe I used before because it was so, so, good. :smile:

Melissa

I have used it as a side with some lovely grilled porkchops. (Not grilled by me but by a friendly grillmeister. :biggrin: ) With brie and crackers was pretty good. One of the best was in a big fluffy baked potato. The next adventure will be with a really cheesy omelette.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Never! The demi glace is the perfect touch as fifi says for that nice silky texture :smile: And unlike fifi, I did get a decidedly beefy taste with mine. Perfect for the French Onion Soup I used it for!

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm really liking the idea of using Port. Tomorrow is a good day to start a new batch of confit I'm thinking :biggrin:

Marlene

I like the idea of the port with a good beefy demi glace. I am thinking that you just had a better beefy demi glace than I did and that was why you found it decidedly beefy. I am out of beef demi glace and will have to go on the hunt for some beef stock makings shortly... right after I rob that bank.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

After some sort of misunderstanding about shipping (ain't it always the way with the things you want in a hurry), crock pot arrived AT LAST - yesterday. Yesterday, that is, when I had to blow most of the day on going into town for a master class. And today was a total culinary loss for reasons too dull to discuss, but tomorrow I shall at last throw myself into my first batch of onion confit - after which I look forward to throwing it into me. Going to do first batch without demi-glace - as discussed up-thread, for practical rather than ideological reasons: I only have a tiny bit left, and making a fresh batch of stock and/or demi-glace is an awful lot more mess-intensive and time-consuming than making an experimental batch of veggie onion confit! Fully intend to try the beefier version, however, once I've remedied the stock supply.

The crock pot itself is rather a beauty, especially at the price: a Rival Chefmaster, bigger than its former owner claimed (haven't actually measured yet, but I think it's the 5-quart - though actually it looks a little bigger than that), removable inner pot of course, and the kind of simple settings (high, low, off) that I generally prefer to fancier bells & whistles. I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship....

I like the idea of the port with a good beefy demi glace. I am thinking that you just had a better beefy demi glace than I did and that was why you found it decidedly beefy. I am out of beef demi glace and will have to go on the hunt for some beef stock makings shortly... right after I rob that bank.

That's possible, fifi, especially as my demi-glace is store bought, not homemade. I have not quite progressed to the homemade stock/demi-glace making yet :biggrin:

I'm going to throw on a batch today using port and some demi glace and see what happens! :smile:

Marlene

So what did everybody do with their confit?

Baked onto freshly-made foccacia, mixed with freshly-made pasta, and occasionally eaten by the spoonful. I'm a big fan of keeping it simple.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite