• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opened and Closed

kaukaulesa

And, as Mochihead and I discussed in my eGullet Foodblog (A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs) last week, 99 Ranch Market will also be closing by the end of February. It's a franchise, and I guess wasn't making enough profit.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

• 2 years later...
And, as Mochihead and I discussed in my eGullet Foodblog (A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs) last week, 99 Ranch Market will also be closing by the end of February. It's a franchise, and I guess wasn't making enough profit.

Whatever happened to the Evergreen? My parents used to take me there back in the 50's. I think that it was on Kapiolani, but am not sure.

• 7 months later...

The Chuckwagon was my favorite restaurant in my teen years. Could go through 3 or 4 big plateloads without trying. The mac salad was quite good, not sweet like they make it these days. In the late 50s the tab was about $5 (36.00 in 2008 dollars).

Top's was another fav. For years my signature lunch was a grilled burger and a chocolate shake.

• 4 years later...