• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opened and Closed

kaukaulesa

Worth checking out is the new Cuisine Okonomi Kai. (Reviewed in last week's Weekly.) V. cool space and good food.

Also went to Inamas Tei next to Puck's Alley for the first time. Amazing! If you can't afford Sasabune, the sushi there is a good lower-priced alternative. Classic edomaezushi in perfect bite-size pods as it should be. But as I left, i stuck my head into the place next door. So Japanese, stuff like "baked onigiri" (!) and "liver and leek" on the menu. I guess it's izakaya. the chef is from Tokyo, the owner from Kanagawa. It's called Kohnotori.

Whatever the name of the place was that followed in the space long held by King's Bakery on S. King Street in McCully? Well, it's something else now. Can't say I miss it, though... never went there. (I'm glad Jimbo's is still going strong.)

And Eastern Garden at the base of Waialae has been gone a while. I just noticed today that it's been replaced by a very new-agey, all-black Japanese eatery called "Momono" (or something similar).

Anyone know anything about either?

user posted image HawaiiThreads.com - Let's talk story!

You mean the place that's now Makino Chaya? I forget too; it must not have been that memorable. Wasn't it something that kept the "King's" name, like "King's Garden" or something like that? Or was that the iteration before that even?

Don't know much about Momomo I thought I came across the Eastern Garden website fairly recently, though. . . spooky.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 2 months later...

Opened - (actually 3 months ago, but I didn't find out until recently). Hawaii's first (it's about time) full-fledged Indian Market, called . . . India Market. It's on 2570 S. Beretania St. #105, Ph: 946-2020, in the same building as the Well Bento takeout, just off University Ave., across Beretania from Kinko's. Spices, naturally, dals, ghee, packaged chaat, tamarind, refrigerated burfi, all the things you would expect. Bollywood DVDs renting for $2.00 a night. Owners have been here for over 15 years - asked them why they decided to open - just frustrated that there wasn't already a place like this in Honolulu! Hope it will do well - have positioned themselves in a good location to attract a wide range of customers - right near health food stores.

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

I'm not sure this qualifies as "opened" since it has been around a while, also it is only open on Saturday, but I find one of the best places to scarf breakfast on that day is at KCC. Tomorrow looks especially promising. Here's the short writeup I put on my blog, to save you the trouble of going over there:

------

Friday, August 13, 2004

Breakfast bliss alert -- I can't wait for Saturday

I hope the folks at the Saturday Market will be putting out extra tables this weekend. They're going to need them to accommodate the crowds lining up for breakfast.

The KCC Saturday Farmers' Market tip sheet has my mouth watering already. And it's unfair, too -- I'll have to choose one dish, but I want to try all three! From the tip sheet, describing breakfast to be prepared by Chef Jim Gillespie of Sunset Grill at Restaurant Row:

* Portuguese Sweetbread Monte Cristo (ham and cheese sandwich dipped in an island fresh egg batter and fried)

* Wild Salmon Hash on Dean's Greens with Tarragon Vinaigrette and Hauula Tomato Relish

* Roasted Eggplant, Island Vegetables and Goat Cheese in a Wrap

What to do?? Maybe try one and take another home for lunch.

I wonder if anyone has tried and has an opinion on Super Pho, 3538 Waialae Ave, Honolulu. We were taken there by a friend orginally from Vietnam, and she thought it was really good, maybe "the best". Nanette and I enjoyed Bắc Nam, but we can't really compare the two. It's pretty new, although not "just opened".

• 5 months later...

I miss Suehiro's... This was my favorite restaurant. Ive found some good replacements with Kunio's in Waikele, and Ideta on Dillingham, but noone has the Tofu-butterfish dish that I always ordered at Suehiros. :sad:

Does anyone know the story behind why Suehiro's closed and whether the owners/chefs are in any new places?

Or where I can find a dish resembling the nitsuke butterfish-over tofu dish Suehiros used to serve?

Seemed like the Yamada restaurant group that had been owners for the past few decades just lost interest, and the Gyotaku people were looking for a new property for expansion after they had cut ties with the ill-fated Kyotaru Restaurant Group. Seems to me Gyotaku has really picked up much of the same clientele that Suehiro used to have, though the menu is less "local Japanese" than Suehiro.

I remember going there and eating tonkatsu when I was six or seven years old. . .

Butterfish nitsuke over tofu - there's got to be other places that serve it, even after the Wisteria closed down. Or it may be a long shot - you can ask someplace that serves butterfish nitsuke if they would prepare it tofu style for you. . . can't be that much of a stretch. . .

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Speaking of places that closed, we were in Kaimuki the other day and after a lot of wandering around decided to head over to Sis Kitchen. Only to find it closed - on a Friday night. Asked the lady over at the Kahuku Papaya place next to it and she said they had gone out of business. Checked their website and it's no longer occupied.

How can? They had great reviews and were just named on the Advertiser's Hawai`i's Best Restaurants list. Sorry to say we didn't go that often ourselves but it seemed they were doing decent business.

Anyone with any insight? So sad. . .

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Speaking of places that closed, we were in Kaimuki the other day and after a lot of wandering around decided to head over to Sis Kitchen.  Only to find it closed - on a Friday night.  Asked the lady over at the Kahuku Papaya place next to it and she said they had gone out of business.

So sad. . .

That is a shocker, SK. I was in there not even a month or so ago and there was no hint something was up. Business seemed good so maybe it was a personal family thing. I'm going to miss that place - it was one of my two favs in Kaimuki.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Wow, I always heard this was a good place (Sis Kitchen) and often thought of going, that would

of course mean 2 things. I'd have to leave my house and also drive all the way to town........

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

• 5 months later...
Thanks wesza. . . . the Ala Moana Flamingo Chuckwagon and the Pearl City Tavern were both landmark places whose niche hasn't been filled (at least not by any locally-owned restaurants). 

BTW, we were finally able to check out Mary Jane's Kitchen (aka Gohyangjip), based on kaukaulesa's fine review in last week's Honolulu Weekly.  It was just as good as you mentioned - really unique among Korean restaurants here in its honest appreciation of regional specialties.  Unlike other places, that generally focus on standardized Seoul-centered menu, Mary Jane's carries a lot of dishes from the Southwestern (Jeolla-do) region of Korea, that you can't get elsewhere.

i4018.jpg

Here's a sample of what we ate.  Thanks, again kaukaulesa, for the great tip.

Well, SK, this restaurant was included in the right column. I had lunch there yesterday (panchan came out just like your picture) and heard about the planned sale of the business. Those of you who want to eat interesting Korean food need to get down there before Mom Shin moves on.

I had heard that as well. It seems that she is going to go back to Korea to travel around and study the regional cuisines before moving on and deciding what she will do next. The restaurant will definitely be missed, in part because it covered two areas of Korean cuisine - Southwestern and health food that are pretty unique here. And also because she was a great cook. Here's hoping that once she's done with her travels she comes back here again!

Sun-Ki Chai

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Wow, I'm really sad to hear that!

Do you guys remember last year the Willows trying to change its image with a tasting-plates spot in its Rainbow Room? Well, chef Jay Matsukawa, after a stint at the Plaza Club, is back with a new rerstaurant in the Rainbor Room. Now it will be called J at the Willows. He'll be doing a French-Japanese fusion (shades of Hiroshi Fukui?). Opening July 29.

Just noticed a Philly cheesesteak place on Bishop Street. It's been there for three months. Ono Cheese Steak. A 7-inch philly classic is $4. They do a Hawaiian style version with kalua pork.

Also, Spices on King Street is worth trying for the Laotian curry and Burmese khao soi. Andchef Pony's housemade ice cream is really different for this town. Lemongrass-and-chili ice cream rocks. Spicy cold stuff!

I just got an e-mail from Jay Matsukawa. Here's the initial menu of J:

Dinner Menu

Tuesday thru Saturday

5:30pm-9pm

Appetizers

Fresh Japan Hamachi Carpaccio

Thinly sliced Island Hamachi in a citrus and Hawaiian chili pepper sauce.  Garnished with fresh garlic slices, Black sesame seeds, and roasted garlic and Shiso oil

Oxtail “Pot Au Feu”

Slow cooked oxtail served with a flavorful coriander infused broth.  Accompanied by Waimanalo micro greens

Blue Crab and Lobster Cake

A blue crab and Lobster cake sautéed and served with a Tarragon vinaigrette and Waimanalo micro greens

Chilled Portobella Mushroom and Roasted peppers

Thinly sliced Portobella mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and mozzarella cheese marinated with  an Anchovy and Citrus herb vinaigrette

Potato and Cheese Croquette with Warm Spicy Scallops

Deep fried potato cheese croquettes topped with a scallop and tobiko caviar mixture.  Served warm with an Asian style plum sauce

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another Northern Chinese restaurant bites the dust!

King Tsin, on its comeback try, could not succeed where Yuen's Garden and Golden Crown had failed before. The Beretenia location will now house a Mexican restaurant.

However, a branch of the popular Hong Kong noodle house, Mini Garden, has opened close by and has received very good reviews.

The Moiliili area remains a very competitive market, with Golden Dynasty, Kirin, Maple Garden, Mini Garden, Golden Eagle, On On, McCully Chop Suey, and perhaps Fook Yuen vying for supremacy in what is characterized as "Japanese" neighborhood.

I am sad about King Tsin :sad:

We have followed the Wang's from the Beretania location, to McCully and Young and then were

so glad he reopened further down Young St. I really enjoyed his food and some of my happiest

memories from when we first moved to HI 20 years ago took place at King Tsin on Beretania.

Much aloha to them and maybe they can reopen somewhere else!! a hui hou........ :sad:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Speaking of places that closed, we were in Kaimuki the other day and after a lot of wandering around decided to head over to Sis Kitchen.  Only to find it closed - on a Friday night.  Asked the lady over at the Kahuku Papaya place next to it and she said they had gone out of business.  Checked their website and it's no longer occupied.

How can?  They had great reviews and were just named on the Advertiser's Hawai`i's Best Restaurants list.  Sorry to say we didn't go that often ourselves but it seemed they were doing decent business. 

Anyone with any insight?  So sad. . .

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. I miss Sis Kitchen. This was a really great restaurant. Does anyone know if any of the cooks (sisters) here have resurfaced at other restaurants?

Columbia Inn still has its Kaimuki location operating, though under new ownership (not the Kaneshiro family).

My ears are burning. If any readers have stories about the old Columbia Inn (Kapiolani), I'd love to hear them. I'm Tosh Kaneshiro's granddaughter, but a katonk who was still pretty young when the place turned over to Kyotaru.

Of course my family tells me some stories, but I am always on the lookout for more!

No stories here but I really liked the oxtail ramen at Columbia Inn.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...