• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

$$7.5 million us sales, 65 seats

davidkemp

the french,italians,greek,asians,americans started there own distinctive styles of cuisine. during the early 1900 united states got the majority of immigrants from europe bringing their cuisine with them.restaurants started opening featuring their cuisine.they all did well because of bigger population.and i will tell you that if it wasnt for the italians , greeks ,and other european nationals coming here to immigrate,montreal wouldn t have the restaurant scene it has.new york.chicago started it all.great food towns.majority of top chefs are in the united states these are the masterminds of culinary trends.

the french,italians,greek,asians,americans started there own distinctive styles of cuisine. during the early 1900 united states got the majority of immigrants from europe bringing their cuisine with them.restaurants started opening featuring their cuisine.they all did well because of bigger population.and i will tell you that if it wasnt for the italians , greeks ,and other european nationals coming here to immigrate,montreal wouldn t have the restaurant scene it has.new york.chicago started it all.great food towns.majority of top chefs are in the united states these are the masterminds of culinary trends.

How could you possibly think that Canada's food history is based on the USA.

I couldn't give you the exact percentage of immigration from the USA but

I'll bet it's inconsequential compared to other countries.

I'm sure you are aquanted with Samuel de Champlain.Champlain’s genius to suggest that good food and friendly camaraderie would go a long way towards curing the medical problems of his small and struggling colony. So he instituted the Order of Good Cheer. Under the rules of the Order, special meals became the personal responsibility of individual colonists. They inevitably endeavoured to upstage one-another by providing the finest fish, and fowl and game for their communal table. And it worked. Entertaining tended to raise everyone’s spirits. Good food brought better health.

One of his recipes was to cook mussels on a pine board with dried pine needles

as the heat source,I did see a similar recipe a few years ago.

Quebec, long considered to be a province where eating and drinking are a part of good living, offers many delicacies, Brome Lake duck, apples from Rougemont, Matane shrimps, cider vinegar, genuine maple syrup, honey, salmon and cheeses are just a few of the gamut of specialties of Quebec. And has an enviable cheese industry consisting of small family operations. Oka is well noted for the cheese by the same name, but there are many others that produce excellent cream type cheeses such as Brie, Camembert, Triple cream just to name a few. Cheddar (nine year old), Cheddar ( eight year old), Cabriole, Mamirolle, Le Metis, Bluebry, Ermite, Le Pied de vent, Le Bleu de la Montonniere. Lactantia, a creamery located near Montreal, is well noted for its high quality butter. Belgium endive, is now being cultivated near Montreal by a Frenchman who found conditions very suitable for growing this delectable and versatile salad green. Needless to say Quebec’s foie gras d’oie and shallots are staple ingredients of high-end restaurant kitchens not only in Canada but the U S A as well.

I think you need a serious history lesson particularly from an international viewpoint. But to start with, to better comprehend the American perspective begin with an understanding of the role of James Beard and Julia Childs. There is plenty of written material available and even a couple of fun reads such as Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential and a Cook's Tour will help you out of your bubble. Jacques Pepin’s, The Apprentice, provides an interesting angle on a combination of French and American influence on food.

I'm afraid you are currently out to lunch and a bad lunch at that.

Edited by gruyere (log)

And if you want to come back to something slightly more modern (but still in the dark ages of Quebec social scene), I suggest you read La Cuisine Raisonnee and maybe even try a couple of recipees. There are a few pictures too, if you like pictures.

since you are so much into the quebec culture , i would like to know when was the last time you ate pate au saumon or pate chinois or maybe tourtiere and was it frozen or freshmade.

There is a lot more to Quebec culture than poutine and Celine Dion!

WOW! Far out!

It's amazing what good pharmaceuticals can do for you! the only thing is, they make that damn shiftkey so hard to reach. but who needs it anyway. and who needs those puntuations andspacesanywaywhycantwejustwritelikewethinkinonecontiossstreamthatleadsfromfrenchlaundryandbythewaydidyouknwothefirstfrenchlaundryinsanfarnciscowaschineseandspeakingofthatdudewhenyouvespent30000onlastanzapatechinoismanidliketosprinklesomehappypowederonthatsuckerandseeallthoseolfolkskickoutthejamsyouknowmontrealdidnotinventbuffetsinthefirstplacethatwasswedishimmigrantsthatstartedsmorgasboardsinminnestotaeverythingstartsintheus