• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuck with a Shank; ham that is

howard88

I am the proud owner of a ten pound shank cut of fresh ham on the bone, complete with skin and fat. Do I ronco it, crock pot it, slow oven cook it or what. I need suggestions for making it with a mirapoix and then a gravy or saurkraut. I am brining the shank right now. Any and all ideas are welcome. Suggestions for leftovers also needed.

FWIW i would score and roast the sucker to lose some amount of fat. High heat to start and then turn down-although it may take you 5-6 hours+. Spit roast would work very well. Unless you trim down it'll be too fatty for a braise, crockpot venture. If you want to pair with kraut, maybe smoke and cook, a couple of sausages, riesling-chacroute?. Or shred with slaw for pulled pork sammies.

hth, danny

I am the proud owner of a ten pound shank cut of fresh ham on the bone,  complete with skin and fat....  I am brining the shank right now.  Any and all ideas are welcome.  Suggestions for leftovers also needed.

Once you've disposed of the "main" part, the bone makes a dynamite substitute for smoked hocks in a white bean soup. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you a recipe for something pretty close to Senate bean soup that they used to serve in the the dining room at the Richmond Fed. I've never tasted the Senate version, but those who have had both say the Richmond version is better. YMMV.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I do these all the time. One approach is to score the fat and slow roast a la Nigella.

Check out this thread.

Another thing I do is a braise with an Asian touch. A lot of fresh ginger is sliced and put in the bottom of the pot. Sit the ham on it. Tuck a bunch of green onion around the sides. Mix up soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, sugar to your taste. Maybe throw in some star anise. Cook at 225 to 250 F for several hours. The broth is not all that fatty since the slow braising leaves you with luscious fat to just eat. At any rate, you can just defat the broth and make killer soba noodle soup.

edit to add: I actually prefer the shank. There is more connective tissue to turn to gelatine in the slow cooking processes that I use and the bone isn't so obnoxious.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thank you fifi, hwilson41 , dano1 and tissue for your time and suggestions. I am cooking this big hunk on Sunday and at this writing not sure which way I will go. I am leaning toward crock pot, if the thing fits since I want a tender, off the bone result. I prepare lots of different kinds of soup and one of the main reasons for getting this pork was thee bone. Nothing gets thrown away in this household. Once again thanks.

You are quite welcome. However, expert advice at this level is not free. We will expect a report, with pictures if possible. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

On Sunday, I removed the shank from the brine and one look at the shank and one look at the crockpot was enough for me to turn on the oven.

I scored the skin down to the fat on this ten pounder and placed on a rack with a mirepoix of celery, carrots, onions and garlic on the bottom of the pan.

I cooked a 225 for about nine hours to an internal temp of 170 degrees.

After a 30 minute rest, I removed the skin and fat with two cuts of the knife and placed back in the oven at 350 degrees until crispy.

The crisped skin and fat was outstanding and addicting.

I was going to make a gravy but after cutting and tasting slices of this pork decided against the gravy route. The pork was moist, tender and full of flavor. I am still eating it and am looking forward to the weekend where I have a daytime date with the bone. Served it with red cabbage and lima beans.