• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The New Time Warner Center

Fat Guy

In addition to the usual sushi bar & cold bar items, they have hot-bar stations labeled "Latin Bar," "Asian Bar," "Indian Bar," with the appropriate ethnic foods ready for scooping into plastic takeout containers. Really interesting concept, I'd love to see it replicated elsewhere.

It has been. in just about every suburban grocery store in NJ! NY isn't the first for EVERYTHING you know! :laugh:

Well, the restuarants are already becoming a hit with celebs. According to today's Times, Sarah Jessica Parker held a dinner in Narciso Rodriguez's (the fashion designer) honor at Per Se the other night.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Took a quick wander by the AOL/TW center over the weekend. The strongest impression I had was of technical glitches and overcrowding - at least four of the escalators were broken during the course of my hour long meander through the mall, including the up-escalator at Whole Foods, leading to a huge crowd at the elevator to leave.

The outsides of Per Se and the rest of the restaurants all look nice.

Ina Garten was in Williams-Sonoma, signing her book, which led to a huge crowd - nevertheless, I was able to make my purchase there about 30 seconds after getting on the line. The store looked very well laid out - didn't check out the the second floor, but the selection and pricing seemed about on a par with the midtown east branch.

Whole Foods was overwhelmed with people, but except for the dining concourse, I didn't get the feeling of being crushed with people that Fairway gives. The wider aisles made it easier to maneuver. I got served some ice cream by Jerry of Ben & Jerry's as he was doing a promo - part of the store's chocolate week. Free samples were everywhere - I haven't really shopped at any of the other whole foods, so I don't know whether the free-sampling was typical or not, but I was given 4 or 5 different kinds of chocolate, salmon mousse, organic teriyaki chicken, and the aforementioned Ben & Jerry's in the course of about 10 minutes of wandering.

All in all, once the glitches are worked out, this could be a very nice local shopping destination, IMHO.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

In addition to the usual sushi bar & cold bar items, they have hot-bar stations labeled "Latin Bar,"  "Asian Bar," "Indian Bar," with the appropriate ethnic foods ready for scooping into plastic takeout containers. Really interesting concept, I'd love to see it replicated elsewhere.

It has been. in just about every suburban grocery store in NJ! NY isn't the first for EVERYTHING you know! :laugh:

blasphemer. :raz:

they had a sale on Scharffenberger cocoa (5.99) so I bought two. Plus, they carry the Liberte brand of yogurt. And they carry Dancing Deer baked goods, which just received kosher certification, so I bought some shortbread

cookies.

Blo's observation reminds me -- I went to Williams Sonoma first & then downstairs to Whole Foods. I noticed quite a few items in WF that WS carried upstairs, for less money. For example, high-end chocolate, olive oils, fancy mustards, etc.

That said, Whole Foods still ain't cheap.

they had a sale on Scharffenberger cocoa (5.99) so I bought two.  Plus, they carry the Liberte brand of yogurt.  And they carry  Dancing Deer baked goods, which just received kosher certification, so I bought some shortbread

cookies.

Blo's observation reminds me -- I went to Williams Sonoma first & then downstairs to Whole Foods. I noticed quite a few items in WF that WS carried upstairs, for less money. For example, high-end chocolate, olive oils, fancy mustards, etc.

That said, Whole Foods still ain't cheap.

The price that blew me away was that Scharffenberger 10 oz bars of chocolate were over $11 (you read that right, not a typo) at W-S. They were not quite $7 at WF which is comparable to Fairway.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The great food halls of London's department stores served as a model for the Time-Warner operation, but Whole Foods has a clean, brisk, all-American atmosphere that is miles distant from the heavy sumptuousness of Harrods. In tone and philosophy, it resembles its counterpart down in Chelsea. The wide open spaces of Columbus Circle, however, have allowed for fancy add-ons, like the wine shop, and a more theatrical, eye-popping approach to display.

A Venusberg Of Gustatory Temptations (William Grimes) (from today's DIGEST update. You may have to scroll down for the relevant link.)

Anyone want a serving of "moralistic hedonism"? :blink:

Soba