• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scrambling/Scrambled Eggs

Fat Guy

When I was growing up we always ate our scrambled eggs with jelly, and the Welch's grape stuff turned the eggs green. I still eat them that way occasionally, but I've moved up to red raspberry preserves.

Well, that triggered a blast from the past.

When I was a kid my dad made "jelly omlets." In the center was browned sausage and jelly. Boy, were they good. It was the favorite of all of us kids.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hurngh? "Jelly"? What mean you by "jelly", Jaymes?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

As children, we always had ketchup with our scrambled eggs - what's with jelly? As I recall, however, scrambled eggs were not my mom's best thing. I seem to remember them being brown....yuck. Probably why we needed ketchup. I cook mine very simply: Melt 1T. butter in a non-stick pan. Fork-whisk together 2 eggs with a little water (use the egg shell), salt and pepper, and stir gently over med heat for just a couple of minutes. Remove from heat when still shiny and wet. Delish!!! :biggrin:

Stop Family Violence

Hurngh? "Jelly"? What mean you by "jelly", Jaymes?

Just regular old store-bought-nothing-special jelly or jam or preserves.

I agree, it sounds awful now, but as far as us three kids sitting around the table went, it tasted really swell. :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

seasoned cast iron skillet, get it medium hot and melt buter in it to coat well, but not burn, then break in as many eggs as you like, preferably fresh eggs from neighbor's hens, and cook very slowly, stirring here and there to "scramble"

i like eggs with biscuits or good buttered toast & coarse-ground grits, but sometimes with tortillas and tasty hot sauce.

i always put ketchup on as a kid, never jelly.

Well, I guess you aren't a "fire" patrol chef for nothing. :wink: At my favorite breakfast place they usually have an assortment of hot sauces to choose from and I love dousing my open faced omelettes liberally. In a pinch plain old Tabasco will do, but my preferred brand is Cholula. They also have a kick-ass spicy and smoky Mexican brand that is delicious but way too overpowering.

First started using hot sauce on eggs after seeing the scene in "An Umarried Woman" where the daughter tells her Mom's boyfriend he must be special if Mom made eggs with hot sauce for him. I figured, "Hey, I'm special, too. Might as well try it!"

Well, I guess you aren't a "fire" patrol chef for nothing.  :wink:  At my favorite breakfast place they usually have an assortment of hot sauces to choose from and I love dousing my open faced omelettes liberally. In a pinch plain old Tabasco will do, but my preferred brand is Cholula. They also have a kick-ass spicy and smoky Mexican brand that is delicious but way too overpowering.

First started using hot sauce on eggs after seeing the scene in "An Umarried Woman" where the daughter tells her Mom's boyfriend he must be special if Mom made eggs with hot sauce for him. I figured, "Hey, I'm special, too. Might as well try it!"

Which brings us back, of course, to Huevos Rancheros.

Perhaps eggs not scrambled, but you cannot beat the flavor of eggs and chile peppers.

And Breakfast Tacos, eggs that ARE scrambled, with chile peppers (salsa) added afterwards.

I tell you, those Latins know how to prepare tasty eggs!!

I like to beat the eggs with milk, butter, and then add a little water (I feel water actually makes it less watery). Add to pan and like previous poster said as egg solidifies work it into the center and transfer liquid to outside.

I love to add the beaten eggs to diced sausage, potatoes, peppers, and a decent amount of hot sauce. Once the egg is almost fully cooked transfer pan to oven topped with Cheddar and Jack Cheese. Melt cheese then fill tortilla. That's one of my simple favorites.

TheMan,TheMyth

TapItorScrapIt.com

Jaymes -- yum, yum. Love Huevos Rancheros and all sorts of eggs wrapped in tortillas.

I make something I call Mexican Eggs which is basically a fluffy omelette that you put in a gratin dish with avocado quarters then douse liberally with salsa, sprinkle with shredded Jack or Cheddar and zap under the broiler. I eat it with heated flour tortillas that I tear up as I go along and use to scoop some of the eggs.

Another egg sandwich I love is scrambled eggs with feta , or a feta omelette, in pita bread with tahini sauce. I had cravings for this while I was pregnant and used to make garlicky tahini spiked with cayenne pepper to go with the feta eggs.

Whats weird with eggs an ketchup?

If I dont have ketchup readily available I use red pepper flakes or mix in some chili powder

I take my eggs, especially egg sandwiches, with globs of mustard. Always. Forever. My experience is that people are far more repulsed by mustard than with ketchup.

When I was in culinary school, they taught us to make scrambled eggs with a 1 oz ladle of clarified butter stirred into every two eggs. Let me tell you, this was divine.

Then, a friend who was once a chef, made the scrambs for me with reduced heavy cream, and chopped chives, following similar proportions. Magnificant.

When I make these, I use a ton of butter in the pan (not clarified). I whisk 1 Tbsp water into every two eggs, and cook them gently, folding over for large curds, and take the shebang off of the heat when they are still runny, because they cook in their own heat for a minute or so. Flavorings such as chives can be added in anywhere in the process.

My mom did the "fork-in-the-pan" routine, with previously cooked (and limp) bacon, and I loved it.

I take my eggs, especially egg sandwiches, with globs of mustard......

Then, a friend who was once a chef, made the scrambs for me with reduced heavy cream, and chopped chives, following similar proportions.  Magnificant.

I love eggs with mustard, especially when there's salami involved. Salami and eggs with spicy brown mustard, on fresh rye bread. Hear that, tommy? When there's eggs involved with your salami switch from Wonder to rye :rolleyes:

One night I got the urge for eggs with cream and chives just as you describe. But I folded smoked salmon pieces into the eggs and saved the chives for sprinkling on top. Mmmm, Mmmm good.

Bushey~

I also love my (coddled) eggs to death with chili powder. Just gives em a nice ZING that black pepper doesnt.

Pitter~

*quote from Bugs Bunny cartoon....After all, they laughed at the man when he discovered Penicillin!*

The first time I told someone I put a mustard/mayo mix on coddled eggs over toast they looked at me like I was nuts.

Can someone say DEVILED EGGS? or EGG SALAD?

You do it cold so why the hell not HOT?

And aren't egg-white omelettes just HORRIBLE?

In general yes. But I've done some with shredded scallop, brunoise of red pepper and shallot, with a light Dijon sauce that I think turned out rather well.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

One of my favorite brunch dishes: saute green onions or shallots in little butter. Add eggs prepared however you like for scrambling. After little initial stirring, add can of smoked oysters and finish.

This is really good and it seems like of grand and lavish and festive for brunch entertaining.

I usually offer three kinds of scrambled eggs at brunches. This one is the most unusual and probably the most popular as well.

And, with those oysters in it, it's great with hot sauce, too!

Jaymes, I've had jelly omelets...when you think about it, they're not far off from crepes, are they!

I wanna eat at YOUR house!!!

And some day, Darlin', I'll bet you do :biggrin: