• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need some help on fine-ish dining in Austin

tan319

Hi, everyone.

My missus might be going to school in Austin and I'm scoping out the fine-ish type dining scene in Austin for possible work.

I'm a pastry chef in Abq., NM at the moment.

Is there a Coyote Cafe there?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2317/5000

Coyote Cafe came and went (laughed outta' town) in 1994-1995. The above article is from that time.

There's an enormous amount of talent in Austin, many recently laid-off due to high-end restaurant closings; and there is a large chef's school with a gazzilion students looking for externships - good luck getting a job at any kind of decent pay. The best way to go about it though, is to network with others in your job description who currently HAVE jobs.

One company that is always looking for pastry people is Whole Foods. Start there.

1.My son works in the Bakehouse at Whole Foods. He wanted a pastry position, but WF does very few pastries: they farm out all the complicated stuff. So he's mixing...breads, muffins, etc. He's not real happy.

2.Four Seasons isn't hiring pastry chefs. I know that because ( see #1). Son talked to Elmar Prambs about a position. They only have 6 pastry chefs, and there's no turnover at the moment.

3. Central Market is a good place to apply to. North Lamar or South Lamar store: either one. But there's not much room for creativity. There is, however, quite a lot of turnover.

I second the suggestion to get in touch with the folks at the new Hilton downtown. There was a big article in our local newspaper about how large and wonderful the restaurant is supposed to be.

Statesman article about the new Hilton

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.