• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baton Rouge Restaurants: Reviews & Recs

liamdc

I'm headed to Baton Rouge at the end of the month on business. Any good restaurants I should check out in the downtown area? Also, I will be visiting the week of Mardi Gras in New Orelans--but won't be able to make it to the Big Easy. Any Mardi Gras activities in the state capital I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by liamdc (log)

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Before we can help you out we need a detail or two.

Will you have a car?

Are you going to be in BR for the whole week of Mardi Gras, as you might find it very hard to find someone to do business with as State Offices, and all schools are closed for the holiday?

There are some great places to eat in BR.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Note the bottom parade Spanishtown parade...I've been many times, it's great fun

but as any Mardi Gras..people in South La. have a lot of fun and it's one big party,

so be prepared.

Sorry I can't help you with dinning downtown, although it's really not a large city and easy to get around by cab or car...I recommend for a really nice dinner, Jubans, they offer duck, fish, beef, lamb,veal,venison. Go to www.jubans.com

to see the menu. They also offer a decent wine list.

As for as nice seafood and where most of the locals go, Mike Anderson's. You can also find web www.mikeandersons.com to see menu.

Although I tend to go back to my favorite ones...there are many more new great suggestions with many new places, I'm sure. Onething is for sure the ones that I've mentioned have been around for a long time and still going strong.

Mike Anderson's Seafood Restaurant opened in 1975 as Collegetown Seafood near the gates of Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The invention of Mike Anderson, a former All-American football player at L.S.U. who had never worked in a restaurant before, Collegetown Seafood started out as a po-boy shop and seafood market. Slowly, the business grew and seafood gumbo and fried seafood were added to the menu. The original location was packed with customers and, in 1982, the business moved to 1031 West Lee Drive in Baton Rouge, opening as Mike Anderson's Seafood Restaurant

A really fun venue is The Chimes, it's located next to the univ...they have really nice gumbo's, chicken wings, boiled shrimp and much more...great food, great beer, nothing fancy. This places has many professors, college students and a mix of locals not all young, young at heart 40ish. Next door to the chimes great bands at the Varsity can be heard, it's always a fun time. Depending on who would be playing of course the crowds are not all students, many locals go as well, age varies to who is playing and sometimes not.

Enjoy Mardi Gras and if should have any cakes....watch out for the baby, or you will buy the next one!

Cheers!

Renee

These are the schedules for Baton Rouge Mardi Gras 2004.

This is the schedule for the Baton Rouge Mardi Gras 2004 parades schedules and routes. Mardi Gras 2004 in Baton Rouge continues through Mardi Gras day on Tuesday February 24, 2004. Visit Louisiana in 2004!

This is located at www.cajunradio.org/batonrougemardigras.html You might also like Clarence's New Orleans Mardi Gras schedule 2004.

Listen to Clarence's Baton Rouge Cajun and Zydeco Radio program KBRH AM 1260 every Sunday from 12 Noon - 2pm.

The Baton Rouge Mardi Gras parades are the Krewe of Artemis, Krewe Mystique de la Capitale, Krewe of Orion, Mystic Krewe of Mutts, Krewe Of Jupiter, Krewe of Southdowns and the Spanish Town Mardi Gras Parade.

Saturday Jan 31, 2004 The Baton Rouge Spanish Town Mardi Gras Ball is open to the public.

It will be held on Saturday January 31, 2004 at 7pm at the Centroplex in downtown Baton Rouge. Tickets are $25 - $30 per person. A reserved table is available with the purchase of 10 tickets. For reservations, go to www.spanishtownmardigras.com

Fri Feb 13, 2004 at 7pm - The Baton Rouge Krewe of Artemis parade

www.kreweofartemis.com

Sat Feb. 14, 2004 at 2pm The Baton Rouge Krewe Mystique de la Capitale parade

www.krewemystique.com

Sat Feb. 14, 2004 at 7pm The Baton Rouge Krewe of Orion parade

www.kreweoforion.com

Sun Feb. 15, 2004 at 1pm The Baton Rouge Mystic Krewe of Mutts parade

www.mystic-krewe-of-mutts.org

Sun Feb. 15, 2004 at 6pm The Baton Rouge Krewe Of Jupiter parade

www.kreweofjupiter.com

Fri Feb. 20, 2004 at 7pm The Baton Rouge Krewe of Southdowns parade

www.southdowns.org

Sat Feb. 21, 2004 at noon The Baton Rouge Spanish Town Parade

www.spanishtownmardigras.com

I have a list of the top 40 Mardi Gras songs and music at www.cajunradio.org/top40mardigras.html

ADDITIONAL MARDI GRAS PARADE INFO BELOW 2004 MARDI GRAS MAMBO

2004 Downtown Mardi Gras Parades

MYSTIC KREWE OF MUTTS KREWE OF JUPITER KREWE OF ARTEMIS KREWE OF ORION KREWE MYSTIQUE de la CAPITALE SPANISH TOWN NEXTEL MARDI GRAS MAMBO 10K

KREWE OF ARTEMIS Friday, February 13th 7 p.m.

KREWE OF ARTEMIS PARADE ROUTE

This is Baton Rouge's First All-Female Mardi Gras parading Krewe. The krewe features a full length New Orleans style night parade in downtown Baton Rouge. The krewe has been planning a great parade for over a year that will reflect the flavor of Mardi Gras in Baton Rouge. The parade will include 15+ floats, local marching bands, dance groups and much, much, more... Parade begins at gravel parking lot on River Road. Artemis 2nd Annual After Parade Party will be on February 13th, immediately after the parade. The event will be held at the Sheraton's Atrium. Contact: Kathy Farber @ 387-0388, JoAnne Harvey @ 293-1266 or visit: kreweofartemis.com.

KREWE MYSTIQUE de la CAPITALE Saturday, February 14th 2 p.m. KREWE MYSTIQUE PARADE ROUTE

Krewe Mystique will be celebrating it’s 28th year of parading here in Baton Rouge. We invite you to join us. There will be plenty of floats, throws, bands and marching units to enjoy on Saturday, February 14th at 2 p.m. Contact Person: Jim Champagne @ 925-6991 or visit: www.krewemystique.com

KREWE of JUPITER Sunday, February 15th 6 p.m.

Krewe of Jupiter Parade Route

The Krewe of Jupiter, Baton Rouge's fastest growing CO-ED Mardi Gras Krewe, is proud to announce it's inaugural parade scheduled for Sunday, February 15th at 6 p.m. The Krewe of Jupiter will roll 16-18 floats through downtown Baton Rouge with each telling the rich history of Baton Rouge. This year's Krewe of Jupiter's parade theme "Rolling Through Redstick" will take people through the historical roots of Baton Rouge and it's formation. Floats include replicas of Baton Rouge landmarks, famous people and historical events. Float riders will wear costumes that represent the dress attire of the era in history. The men and women of Jupiter's Krewe will light up the sky with specially designed medallion beads for each float. Come out and catch the entire set of these historical themed throws that also tell a little Baton Rouge History. The Krewe of Jupiter will also throw themed cups, koozies, doubloons, stuffed eagles and peacocks, parade theme medallions, lighted alloy medallions, cloisonne's and last, but not least the special Captain's Cloisonné Coins. And if that's not enough, come see the 6 uniquely designed Royalty Floats that are guaranteed to take your breath away. The Krewe of Jupiter has built 6 specialty floats to showcase it's Captain's, Senators, Lady's, Duke's, Queen and King. These floats are like nothing ever seen in Baton Rouge Mardi Gras. The Krewe Of Jupiter promises to deliver a fun filled night for all spectators. So mark your calendar and join in the fun, known as the greatest free show on earth, MARDI GRAS. For more information regarding the Krewe of Jupiter please contact: Ronald Mire @ (225) 977-9681 or 978-9350 or visit www.kreweofjupiter.com.

KREWE of ORION Saturday February 14th 7 p.m.

KREWE of ORION PARADE ROUTE

Come out and see downtown Baton Rouge's premier night time parade. Orion's floats are professionally designed two tier floats that are illuminated to light up the night. This year's theme is "From the Writer's Guild." The members of Orion will showcase writer's both past and present. Numerous local and out of town bands will be featured in this year's parade. The generous men of Orion will be ready to satisfy the large number of revelers. Members will be throwing many Logo items including cups, molded medallion beads, the always popular BLINKY BEADS, and Hand strung Themed beads. New throws for the year include: Plush Orion alligator, Krewe of Orion Medallion Bracelet, and a Special Twist Bead with an Orion Mask. King Orion V, Frank J. Coates and his Queen Julia Dickinson will be throwing specially designed Hand Strung Beads. These Beads will only be thrown from the King and Queen Floats. Contact person: Darren Coates @ 675-5899 or visit www.kreweoforion.com. So come on out and LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!

MYSTIC KREWE OF MUTTS MARDI PAWS PARADE Sunday, February 15th

2004 NEXTEL MARDI GRAS MAMBO 10K Saturday, February 21st 10 Kilometer/6.2 Miles @ 8 a.m. 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk @ 8:10 a.m. Contact: Vincent Trinidad @ (225) 382-3596 or visit www.brasf.com www.nextelmardigrasmambo10k.net

24th Annual SPANISH TOWN PARADE February 21st 12 noon

SPANISH TOWN PARADE ROUTE

This year's parade theme is "Flamingos Gone Wild." Dancing to the marching bands, hands poised for catching goodies, eclectic attire is the order of the day. Come early and bring your lawn chairs. Visit our web page at www.spanishtownmardigras.com. Contact Person: Bruce Childers @ 343-8378.

Liam,

I believe that you owe Froufrou a beer. What a detailed post. WOW :blink:

As I was a kitchen manager (among other things) at MA's and my wife was a manager at the Chimes I can second both of these recs.

At Mike Anderson's have a trout Guitreau. The guy that came up with it is really nice and a great cook. You can send me an email and thank me for coming up with. :wink:

If you have a car I have a ton more recs. Let us know.

Thanks very much for the suggestions - I don't know my exact itinerary yet. I'm probably coming in on Mardi Gras itself (Tues, 2/24) and either leaving late the next day or Thursday morning (hopefully). I probably won't have a car -- but may have access to one through a fomer colleague down there -- and will likely stay somewhere downtown near the Capitol.

Edited by liamdc (log)

Liam

Eat it, eat it

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the recommendations. I was at the mercy of my host & her husband, so I didn't get everywhere I had planned last week, but look forward to hitting Juban's and the Chimes, in particular, during my next visit--hopefully in April.

Phil's Oyster Bar -- A very nice, laid back, no-nonsense seafood spot. Last Tuesday night here I shared a dozen of the most succulent large oysters I've ever tasted. Delicious. And I had a wonderful crawfish etouffe for an entree. It was stocked with crawfish, nicely balanced ith Cajun spices, and of good proportion. With it I enjoyed a yummy Purple Haze Raspberry Wheat Beer. A good local microbrew from what I understand.

Louisiana Lagniappe-- This was a nice upscale restaurant that was packed when we arrived last Wednesday evening, and we had to wait 20 minutes for a table. But I suppose that's a good thing, right? My appetizer was the best dish I had during my time in Baton Rouge: baked stuffed oysters with crabmeat. Wonderful. For an entree I had the Fish Lagniappe, a moist piece of white fish (I forget which kind of fish) layered with crabmeat, a bit on the dry side, and served with half of a cheese-topped baked potato, which was also a bit on the dry side. The key lime pie for dessert was rich and satisfying. This was a place I thought might have a better wine list, but the best I could do was a glass of Blackstone zinfandel--a very average peppery, slightly harsh California zin--and a rather forgettable house chardonnay. It's not worth remembering which one. I couldn't find a decent sauvignon blanc on the wines by the glass list that I wanted to try. And there wasn't a riesling at all, I don't believe.

Main Street Market -- I had lunch with some colleagues last Wednesday afternoon at the Main Street Market near the State Capitol. I had a very good stuffed catfish from a stand in the Market. I do not remember the name of the place, but I believe it was the 2nd one of the left as you enter from the Capitol/north side.

If all y'all ever visit Washington, DC, please let me know. We'll fix you up right.

Edited by liamdc (log)

Liam

Eat it, eat it

With it I enjoyed a yummy Purple Haze Raspberry Wheat Beer. A good local microbrew from what I understand.

Thanks for the report and, even though you didn't know you were doing it, thanks for the compliment about the beer. It was one of my projects many moons ago (before the evil corporate world stepped in a messed up a really good gig :angry: )

I highly reccomend the Chimes next time you go back. Juban's is really good and has been going for a very long time. Mike ANderson's is also good and very dependable. They have awsome boiled crawfish (which will be in season next time you go back).

• 2 years later...

I browsed back through this board's archives and wrestled with the Search function, but I've been unable to find a lot of discussion about great places to eat in Baton Rouge. I guess being an hour or so from New Orleans it's easy to get overshadowed!

Anyway, I'm planning a trip down there to visit a friend the second week in April, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of great places to eat. I believe she lives near the LSU campus, and we will have a car.

I'd love a wide range of suggestions -- it'll be her birthday when I'm down so we could do a bit of a splurge, but she's also a poor grad student and I'm a recent grad, so I'd love to discover great (relatively) inexpensive local places too.

I'm hoping for places with healthy options, and while I'm not a strict vegetarian I do prefer to avoid meat, so great veggie options are really appreciated! I know a lot of the quintessentially Louisianan (er, if that's the right term?) food my friend has talked about is fried or otherwise made with lots of fat -- I'd like to stay away from a lot of that as much as possible.

Thank you so much for any thoughts on this!

I browsed back through this board's archives and wrestled with the Search function, but I've been unable to find a lot of discussion about great places to eat in Baton Rouge.  I guess being an hour or so from New Orleans it's easy to get overshadowed!

Anyway, I'm planning a trip down there to visit a friend the second week in April, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of great places to eat.  I believe she lives near the LSU campus, and we will have a car.

I'd love a wide range of suggestions -- it'll be her birthday when I'm down so we could do a bit of a splurge, but she's also a poor grad student and I'm a recent grad, so I'd love to discover great (relatively) inexpensive local places too.

I'm hoping for places with healthy options, and while I'm not a strict vegetarian I do prefer to avoid meat, so great veggie options are really appreciated!  I know a lot of the quintessentially Louisianan (er, if that's the right term?) food my friend has talked about is fried or otherwise made with lots of fat -- I'd like to stay away from a lot of that as much as possible.

Thank you so much for any thoughts on this!

If you don't like meat or fat you may be coming to the wrong state... Pork fat rules?

If you don't like meat or fat you may be coming to the wrong state... Pork fat rules?

Well, I'm coming to visit my friend -- I was just hoping to add some fantastic food in the bargain.

I find it hard to imagine that vegetarians and people who struggle with their weight are entirely unwelcome in Baton Rouge, but I guess you never know... :)

Umm, yeah, vegetarians & weight-watchers DO struggle in ALL of south Louisiana. She'll probably have discovered the near-campus spots by now, but just in case, try Saigon on Highland just north of campus--vietnamese food that probably has some vegetarian options. On the higher end, Juban's, Mansur's, and White Oak Plantation are all worth a visit.

How about seafood? Lots of lovely seafood in Baton Rouge.

Here's a link to a thread I found useful when I first visited BR last year.

Baton Rouge dining

I am heading there again next week and really looking forward to it. (I'll post to the dining friends topic too.)

I've been meaning to post these pictures for a while, from last year:

Mike Anderson's "The Guitreau", grilled fish in a white wine sauce with mushrooms and lumps of crab.

gallery_14452_1899_395166.jpg

Also on the menu at Mike Anderson's is the "Joliet Rouge", grilled fish in a red wine sauce with crawfish tails. Decisions, decisions! Fortunately my very agreeable dining companion suggested we order one of each and split them. :wink:

gallery_14452_1899_125021.jpg

If you are looking for lighter meals, why not just order from the appetizer menu? Sometimes one or two appetizer portions or a salad and appetizer is the perfect dinner for me.

I also visited Juban's and had these lovely crab cakes as an appetizer at the bar.

gallery_14452_1899_110547.jpg

Have a great trip!

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

Pamela -

Thanks so much! I'll be looking for your report after your trip next week. I did look through the old thread and have passed the names along to the girl I'm going to visit. I always worry about going on recommendations that are a few years old, though, since so much can change. It sounds like Mike Anderson's and Juban's in particular are perennial favorites, though.

And thank you for the seafood idea! I had gone crying back to my friend and told her that everyone said if I wouldn't eat meat or fried things I was going to come down there and starve ;) and she was like Um, silly, we're right by the coast? Seafood? Which I'm comfortable with for a meal or two, so we should be able to eat out anywhere.

HungryC -- I was really excited about the Vietnamese rec because I've *loved* the few times I've had Vietnamese. Unfortunately my friend said Saigon's has closed down just this winter because they're building something new there. If you know of any other good Vietnamese places in Baton Rouge please share!

• 5 months later...

I realize this thread is a little old, but I'm heading down to Baton Rouge for business next week (Monday-Thursday, Aug 28-31, staying near airport, will have car, hoping "Tropical Depression Five" doesn't get too fiesty). Sounds like the consensus is Juban's, Chimes and Mike Anderson's. I'll try to check these out and chime in with the results.

P.S. The Abita Purple Haze (which I'm assuming is what you are referring to) is available from finer grocers here in Cleveland, and is a good raspberry wheat. It's really amazing the distribution on what were a few years ago difficult to find microbrews.

Any other recommendations?

Tom

Day One: Mike Anderson's

After a 6:30 a.m. departing flight from Cleveland, a connection in Houston, a "delayed" bag and a long day's work fueled only by a 6" Subway sandwich, I was ready to eat. I settled on Mike Anderson's after reading the comments in this post. The exterior of the restaurant give the unassuming air of a hunting lodge, and the interior follows suit closely. The decor is a pleasant mix of hunting and fishing paraphenalia (taxidermy, fishing lures) and sports memorabilia (MAs is located a stone's throw away from LSU) The booths around the bar feature their own individual 15" Sharp Aquos LCD televisions, to allow each patron to choose their own channel (or, for the truly savvy, the power button is easily accessible)

Traveling alone as I often do, I sat at the bar. I began my adventure with an Abita Purple Haze. This has also been mentioned earlier in this post... I have had it bottled back home in Cleveland, but never on draft. It was served up in a satisfying frozen mug, and (like most craft brews) was infinitely more satisfying from the tap.

I knew I was in capable Southern hands when my salad was announced: "Brought out your salad to getcha eatin' on sumpin'" The house salad (included with entree, choice of cole slaw or salad) came with a Parmesean vinegarette dressing. The mixed lettuce was a little too heavy on iceberg for my liking, and the croutons were blatantly from a box. Still, it was fairly fresh, and I was hungry.

Oysters Rockefeller ($12.95) arrived next, on a metal plate that kept each of the six equally piping hot. These were definitely a treat, as fresh oysters aren't something I see every day.

My entree, Joilet Rouge ($20.95), was the only item served on a ceramic plate (the salad, appetizer, and potato were all on metal) It was excellent... full of flavor but neither so spicy nor so rich that I felt the need to slow down. According to the menu, none of the dishes promise a particular fish, allowing the freshest available to be used each day. My Joilet Rouge was Black Drum, which I had never had. It was marvelously fork tender (I'm sure as much credit to the kitchen as the fish itself) and extremely fresh. The baked potato (included with entree, choice of baked potato, French fries, or stuffed potato) was of a very managable size and was at the ideal temperature.

I want to stress that all of the portion sizes were very well sized... At no point in the meal was there so much food that one course detracted from my ability to enjoy another. Often, ordering an appetizer and an entree leaves me "sampling" each and wasting food. This wasn't the case at MA's at all.

A great meal! Thanks to all for the recommendation. I'll let you know where I end up tomorrow...

Tom

I ended up finishing my project early, so my last meal in Baton Rouge (for this trip, anyhow!) was at the airport this afternoon (and isn't really worth mentioning...) Thanks again for all the pointers.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question for Mayhaw Man:

Without going into lengthy details, it looks like I will be driving my in-laws from Charlotte, NC to Austin, Tx next week. We plan to stop in Baton Rouge for the night, and I really hope to have some good meals to ease the pain of a long drive.

The father-in-law is on a very low sodium diet. We have found that in terms of eating out, he is limited to grilled steak and a plain potato. Do you think the kitchens at either Mike Anderson's or Chimes will accommodate him in cokking up a nice piece of fish or steak without salt?

Both of them will be happy to do it. Really.

Both places use fresh fish (meaning that the fish has not been "pre-seasoned" making it difficult for you to have anything made to order) and can easily accomodate your FIL.

That's a long haul. The Charlotte to BR leg is particularly brutal, in terms of time. Good luck.

Both of them will be happy to do it. Really.

Both places use fresh fish (meaning that the fish has not been "pre-seasoned" making it difficult for you to have anything made to order) and can easily accomodate your FIL.

That's a long haul. The Charlotte to BR leg is particularly brutal, in terms of time. Good luck.

Thanks! Actually, I think the first leg will be Charlotte to Montgomery, then Montgomery to Baton Rouge. If you have any Montgomery eating tips, please share! I hope to avoid Outback and Longhorn if at all possible!

edited for typos

Edited by hazardnc (log)

Best eats in Baton Rouge... Mike Andersons is good but I like Dons seafood better Dons is very old est. 1934, also Brunet's is real good. Best pizza on the planet- Fleur-de-lis est. 1947. Cajun food- Bellue's, Boutin's, Poches (Breax Bridge La.) & The Cabin (Burnside La.). Burgers- Riverside Patty, Poboys & muffulettas Brew Bacher's grill (good fried seafood platers also). Tex Mex- Superior Grill. BBQ- Jays est. 1954. & Podnauh's. Italian- Pocorello's & Gino's. Steaks/International- French Market Bistro. Meat & 3- The Wearhouse, Franks, Hi Neighbor supermarket, Calandro's supermarket. Breakfast- Franks, Sharps cafe (Denham), Asian- Hunan's. Other- Jerry Lee's boudin & cracklins (made fresh daily). The Jambalaya shop. Al's Chigago Dogs. LA Boilers (best boiled seafood). :cool:

Notes:

A few of these restaurants are LOCAL chains and for a good reason too.

Most of the above have websites & some ship products nation wide.

Drusilla Seefood is highly avertised on billboards, It used to be one of the best... Some years back it changed ownership & has been going downhill since. :sad:

Edited by 007bond-jb (log)