• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mr. Gold Explains LA's Koreatown

hollywood

As a late nite habitue who fondly remembers the Atomic and Gorky's, I second the 3am pho shops on Western Ave. After a serious night of drinking lemon soju at the Prince, I usually end up at one of these places, if only cuz the taco truck behind El Taurino is closed by that time!

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

As a late nite habitue who fondly remembers the Atomic and Gorky's, I second the 3am pho shops on Western Ave. After a serious night of drinking lemon soju at the Prince, I usually end up at one of these places, if only cuz the taco truck behind El Taurino is closed by that time!

This would appear to be the article for you, Monkeymay. http://www.laweekly.com/ink/printme.php?eid=50836

Cheers! How many cars can you do?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Wow, man, I'd always heard about La Prive, but that's the serious lowdown!

As for me? I guess I've done a few cars till late night, but now I've got to get my kids to school in the morning. :rolleyes:

And you? Bought any tables lately?

Hey, my kid's younger than yours. As for tables, I can't even afford a table dance. But hope springs eternal.

And those dancers are out there, waiting patiently. :biggrin:

--edit

I never liked clubbing at Korean clubs. I feel claustrophobic, the food as such is marginal and I don't drink.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Hey, my kid's younger than yours. As for tables, I can't even afford a table dance. But hope springs eternal.

And those dancers are out there, waiting patiently. :biggrin:

Momma always said Patience is a virtue.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

How funny...I was just about to start this topic and I see that somebody beat me to it.

The scope of the article is not so much exhaustive as exhausting. How many plates of panchan did he have to go through? How many soju hangovers? I'm in awe.

I haven't started reading it yet, but I hope Mr. Gold left a little mystery in Koreatown for me. After all, I don't want to know ALL of its secrets...

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau