• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Midget Hot Dogs

Stone

Do they still make these?  (Perhaps they're now known as "little people hot dogs" or "vertically challenged hot dogs".)  I've been trying to find them in San Francisco, and can't.  What's a superbowl party without pigs in blankets?

They're usually sold as "cocktail franks." Do you have a Costco near you? They're a standard Costco refrigerated-section item nationwide.

However, if you don't care overmuch about the traditional pig-in-blanket appearance you can do just as well with regular hot dogs sliced into rounds and wrapped in puff pastry. You'll also save a lot of money, as cocktail franks are typically overpriced from a per pound perspective. And you'll have a wider choice of brands.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I know I've seen Oscar Mayer Little Wieners and Smokies by the hotdogs and sauerkraut at my local supermarket. Are these what you are looking for? However, I usually cut up all beef dogs and wrap the pieces in Pillsbury crescent roll dough. Or, for a '70s flashback, heat the Little Smokies in equal parts Heinz Chili Sauce and Grape Jelly and serve from a chafing dish or fondue pot.

We do the same thing with mustard and currant jelly, from the Burros/Levine Elegant but Easy cookbook!

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We don't have a chafing dish, but we'd like to. We just heat them up in a saucepot and let the company eat them right off the stove.

I was at a party over the weekend where those little smokie's were served cooked in some kind of barbeque sauce in a pot on the stove.  They weren't as good as I'd remembered (maybe too smoky and the skin was too tough).   Maybe the little hotdogs are better, or as others have suggested, cut up some hot dogs, or sausages.  

Quote: from Varmint on 2:45 pm on Feb. 5, 2002

Gee, what wine goes well with pigs in a blanket?  

budweiser.

i served them with spicy chinese-style mustard.  i suppose sandra isn't too far off with her reisling suggestion...low alcohol, some residual sugar.  i'd go with champagne as well.  but as i've said, bubbles go with everything.  

I also made pigs in a blanket for the superbowl (I didn't have time to make pulled pork).  I was amazed at their reception.

I usually don't give out my recipes, but, I'll give away my secrets:

I used Hebrew National franks, of course, and cut them in thirds.

For this superbowl, considering that a New England team was playing, I used Pillsbury Dinner Roll dough and Grands Biscuits (I could only find one tube of dinner rolls in town).  Oh, how that pop brought back memories!  And the fresh smell of stale yeast, wafting out of the cardboard.  Now I know what the wine folks mean when they talk about bouquet.

Well, three lil weenies per dog; three blankets per roll.  Each roll pressed carefully, but firmly between my hands (I always rub my hands on a cutting board first, so as to impart an oaky flavor to the roll.)  

If only I had Frenchs yellow mustard, it would have been perfect!!

(And as for the wine -- Budweiser, Born on January 13th, in honor of the loser Lambs.)

• 11 months later...
made rachel's pigs in a blanket for the superbowl.  they were a big hit!  everyone was well impressed that they weren't frozen.  it don't take much to impress my friends!

yikes. i just thought "jeesh, i don't remember posting this the other day!?" but it was a year ago. although i don't remember posting it then either.

i get my cocktail franks from the butcher. many make their own. right on.