• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What'll Wow Me in Miami?

Schneier

So did anything wow you in Miami?

I don't think you were asking me - but I posted this a couple of weeks ago:

We just got back from a week in south Florida. A couple of days in Boca - then 4 days in Miami. Some quick dining notes. We settled on Legal Seafoods in Boca for dinner with my parents. It is quite good for a chain if you like decent seafood in pleasant surroundings. Plus - it had interesting wine flights - about $12 for 3 glasses.

We had four dinners in Miami. Bizcaya Grill at the Ritz Carlton in Coconut Grove - Pescado and Mundo (Norman Van Aken's new place) in Coral Gables (both at Village of Merrick Park). And Casa Tua in Miami Beach. We picked these places because they were supposed to be good - and because they were convenient (we were staying at the Ritz Carlton - Village of Merrick Park was a 10 minute drive - and my brother lives on Miami Beach - we had dinner with him one night). I cannot caution visitors enough that the traffic in Miami Dade County is dreadful - and that there's no better way to spoil your meal than by spending too much time on the road fighting traffic to get where you're going. Especially around the Miami Beach area - it makes sense to take a cab.

When dining in Miami - you have to remember that while there's lots of good food - none of it is really top echelon world class. Keller and Ducasse have nothing to worry about. But it's a really interesting fun place to eat when Jupiter is aligned with Mars. And they were for us on this trip.

I can recommend each of the four restaurants. I am not a taker of pictures or a maker of detailed notes about what I'm eating (too much like work) - so I just have a few comments. At the Bizcaya Grill - my husband and I were surprised that the chef remembered us even though we'd only dined there once a year ago. He made a special effort during our dinner - and we appreciated that. Had several excellent courses - although my husband's favorite was his starter when he had lunch with a friend later during the week. I don't think this would be a restaurant for a typical south Beach vacationer - but I think it's one of the best places in town for an elegant dinner or a power lunch.

The Village of Merrick Park is a new upscale shopping center - and Mundo and Pescado have spared no expense in building out their spaces. Pescado had a nice outside area where you could have a drink in big comfy seats - then you could dine inside or out. The jumbo camarones in my shrimp main course were really jumbo (which is unusual). We had the tasting menu at Mundo. I would say it was a mistake because I couldn't make it beyond course 4 (of 7) - but - at $65 - it was a bargain compared to the rest of the menu (e.g., one of the tasting courses was an excellent duck and sausage pizza - and instead of a taste - they served us a whole pizza!). Mundo and Pescado are more in the category of enjoyable casual places in terms of ambience (not prices).

Casa Tua was my favorite. It is unusual for the Miami area - and South Beach in particular. Totally civilized. Very elegant Italian. Just like you'd expect to find in Italy. We had four courses (split the pasta and dessert courses) - and left feeling satisfied - not stuffed. Foie gras and lady pear salad - excellent pasta course - little quail legs roasted on skewers - desserts that were so light they almost floated away. Impeccable service. I'd be happy eating like that every day.

Now I'm sure I could discuss at least 2 or 3 things I found lacking in each of the places we dined (e.g., the service at Mundo - which hasn't been open very long - needs work - I suspect when Charlie Trotter dined there last week - he didn't have any service problems but we did). But - since our experiences were - on the whole - very positive - what's the point? I am just glad that Miami dining has matured and that I can get 4 very good meals in 4 different places. As someone who lived in Miami for over 20 years - I'd rather dwell on the positive - not the negative. And when you are dining out on a lovely patio with a balmy breeze blowing through your hair - it's very hard to get upset about those small negatives.

Please note that all of these places will set you back about $50-100 per person (or more if you have expensive wines). Reservations are essential for all on the weekends - and for Casa Tua on any night (although Casa Tua has a no reservations allowed walk-in chef's table for 20). In addition - Casa Tua requires a credit card for a reservation - and you will get billed if you're a no-show and don't call to cancel. Robyn

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from a great weekend in Miami. I was there for a party, which was unreal, but what really impressed me was Joe's. It has been about three years since I bought stone crabs from them (I always buy a key lime pie from the "to go") for reasons covered in my other posts on this subject. On this trip I was being taken out for lunch and the host chose Joe's and although I made some other suggestions he insisted. I have always complained that whenever I visit Joe's (to get my key lime fix) I find that they don't offer really large claws and they overcharge. Now I still stand by the overcharge point but I must say that on this visit I had the largest claws I have ever eaten. They were two to a pound and each claw was about the size of my head. They were fantastic and thankfully I didn't have to pay the $66.

So, my opinion has changed a bit, I now believe that on occasion you can find something special (aside from the key lime pie) at Joe's.

Edit to add: I should note that I didn't venture to my usual stone crab favorite so I can not say if the super large claws were unique to Joe's or if there are just some huge crabs running around right now.

Edited by LJC (log)

I know it's a little late for the posting, but I still think my two cents are worth posting, for future reference, you know?

In my opinion the best restaurants in Miami (including Miami Beach) are Norman's, Chef Allen's, Wish, Nobu, the Blue Door and Azul. Also, Douglas Rodriguez just opened Ola Miami, and it should be pretty good.

Allan Susser is an old school Chef, but his food is still amazing. Same thing with Norman Van Aken, although I think he keeps a more formal kitchen. Nobu is as good in South Beach as it is in New York. Wish just underwent a Chef's change: CIA grad Michael Reidt left and Johnson and Wells grad Michael Bloise took over. The food quality is a little bit lower, but it's still excellent. Michel Bernstein is a fantastic Chef and she had done great things with Azul. I've personally never eaten at the Blue Door, however, it always gets great reviews :raz:

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

I know it's a little late for the posting, but I still think my two cents are worth posting, for future reference, you know?

In my opinion the best restaurants in Miami (including Miami Beach) are Norman's, Chef Allen's, Wish, Nobu, the Blue Door and Azul. Also, Douglas Rodriguez just opened Ola Miami, and it should be pretty good.

Allan Susser is an old school Chef, but his food is still amazing. Same thing with Norman Van Aken, although I think he keeps a more formal kitchen. Nobu is as good in South Beach as it is in New York. Wish just underwent a Chef's change: CIA grad Michael Reidt left and Johnson and Wells grad Michael Bloise took over. The food quality is a little bit lower, but it's still excellent. Michel Bernstein is a fantastic Chef and she had done great things with Azul. I've personally never eaten at the Blue Door, however, it always gets great reviews :raz:

My dining experience at the Blue Door was poor, both in quality of food and quality of service. A recent trip to Pacific Time was even more disappointing.

South Florida