• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Texas: Bakeries & Pastry Shops

Also notably absent is a bakery whose offerings are not completely amateurish or generic tasting.  Suggestions?

have you tried Doughmonkey in Synder Plaza yet? Worth it and the chef/owner, Rhonda is the best.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Hi, y'all--We have a couple of very good bakeries here in Grapevine. Main Street Bread Baking Company at 316 S. Main. Owned by a trio of French people (It's popularly known as "The French Bakery"), they have a wide selection of French breads and pastries along with breakfast and lunch items.

The other is the Breadhaus at 700 West Dallas Road. They have a variety of daily and specialty breads and excellent lemon bars and other sweets. Their Granny Smith Apple Cake and Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie are both yummy!

Hmmmm, lost my post that I wanted to quote, but I second the motion for the czech stop and for WF's seeduction bread.

Its really do die for, so long as yah floss after....

Also love the CM Sourdough Buckwheat-onion-rosemary-cheddar bread.

I've not explored bakeries locally, because I'm trying to reduce the waistline and I can't be good in the face of temptation. But I'll keep a running list for when I can indulge!

Edited by nessa (log)

I haven't made it to DoughMonkey quite yet, as it was closed today, but will give it a chance this upcoming week. It should satisfy my sweet-teeth (of which I have in infinite supply, like a shark).

I would love a bakery that makes a mean baguette, and is preferably wood-fired. Extra points given for flour quality too.

Ian

For baguettes, IML, I would try Empire Bakery and Main Street Bakery.

I went and picked up a baguette from Main Street earlier today, and ended up feeding it to a group of ducks. I hope Empire is much, much better, as I'm sure it is.

Edited by IML (log)