• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

dankphishin

Potato Chips!

264 posts in this topic

A very, very long time ago (15+ years) I had a big bag of Cape Cod chips I think they were called "The Brown Ones".

They were the chips that spent a little extra time in the fryer and were dark, flavorful, and so yummy that I still think of them to this day.

Anybody know of another brand that sells their brown potato chips?

Kay and Ray's, out of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, makes an outstanding dark chip, cooked in lard.

Utz makes a pretty good Dark Russet chip: Clickety.

Although it isn't fried in lard like the Grandma Utz's Handcooked :wub::wub::wub:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Kettle Chips Sea Salt and Pepper. Yummy goodness.

Ditto here. Couldn't resist posting. You can leave pretty much anything out and available to me...except for good potato chips. Big downfall. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

north fork chips are pretty amazing. i've unfortunately discovered the "cheddar onion" variety and have, at times, had a very very unhealthy dinner.

Lays Kettle Cooked Mesquite BBQ - great flavor and crunch!

I love potato chips. I think they are the king of salty snacks. Lots of good stuff has been mentioned here. I've got a lot of favorites, too

Kettle

Zapps

Utz (I need to see if I can get the "Grandma" ones cooked in lard)

Target house brand (Archer Farms, I believe)

Lays Kettle Cooked

Wavy Lays (I love these made with Hidden Valley Ranch Dip)

I think I need to go to the grocery store.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

Herr's and Utz are my favorites. Kettle chips from Herr's are good too.

Utz.

A vision without action is a Daydream; Action without vision is a Nightmare.

Definitely Michael Season's Thin and Crispy - they are so delicious and ultra crisp!

http://www.seasonssnacks.com/

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

So it does turn out to be true that your favorite potato chip probably isn't the same as my favorite potato chip.

It all depends on where you live:

America: a patchwork of potato chip varieties

Though thin and flat may be the national standard (in the USA)— and bestselling variety — of this ubiquitous snack, regional and sometimes hyper-local preferences for different calibers of crunch, thickness, seasonings and endless other elements have created a surprisingly diverse culinary patchwork of chip styles around the country.

I think the internet might be the great equalizer in the end. You're able to buy just about any brand, any kind of chip no matter where you live in the country (or the world for that matter) thanks to finding a good source online.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Beer flavored kettle chips. I had to try them.

DSCF1216.JPG

I could taste the beer, but it was eclipsed by too much cheddar for my taste. Nice thick chips.

Love potato chips with my sandwich. Favorite is Wavy Lay's Barbecue.

My favorites are Lays. They are the best out their in the market.

I had some Lay's chips a couple of days ago. They were the regular chips - not thick cut, no flavorings. I found them to be somewhat greasy and overly salty tasting. I suppose some people - maybe even most - like, or even prefer, that flavor profile, but it doesn't cut it for me. Plus, the thinness of the chip gave little substance - no real crunch and very little mouth feel.

... Shel

"... ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself "

Lately I'm into Kettle Organic sea salt and black pepper. Kettle sea salt and pepper come in 3 varieties as far as I can tell: the organic chips, the crinkle cut and the baked. The baked are sort of half baked, pretty dull. The crinkles taste oily and salt. The organic are excellent.

Herrs ripple chips for me. Vinegar and salt Herrs is #2.

Hey gfweb, you like those Herrs ripple chips, eh? :wink:

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

My favorites are Lays. They are the best out their in the market.

I had some Lay's chips a couple of days ago. They were the regular chips - not thick cut, no flavorings. I found them to be somewhat greasy and overly salty tasting. I suppose some people - maybe even most - like, or even prefer, that flavor profile, but it doesn't cut it for me. Plus, the thinness of the chip gave little substance - no real crunch and very little mouth feel.

Yes they are thin and have a lot salt but still they are my favorite. In fact a lot of people seem to be their fan. I agree with the thinness part. I think if lays increase the thickness of the chips then the product would be even better.

I think the thinness is part of what makes them distinctive and delicious.

The only think I dont like about Kettle brand chips is they are too thick. They dont always crunch easily.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Lay’s Kettle Cooked Original very Thick-cut and extra crunchy, these picnic must-haves are basic but not boring.And I also love some sour chips so i always look for Dirty Sea Salt & Vinegar.

Hike Sedona Hiking Preparedness + Energy Supply + Apparel & Gear

Lay's has introduced BLT flavored chips in our and my wife and I are both hooked.

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

So finally I got to try Utz. I was in NY most of October and saw a lot of the inside of the local Duane Reade. Utz is on the shelves, although not the Grandma Utz lard chips; these were simple basic salted chips--good, but not remarkable I thought. Of course I never had them growing up, so there's no nostalgia factor for me. Love to just taste the lardy ones, but not enough to mail order a family size bag of high cholesterol potato chips, which I am supposed to steer clear of.

A reminder of my cousins in Guadalajara, Mexico are the Classic Lay's with lemon juice and Valentina hot sauce (which isn't all that hot). My wife and I love them even though they do tend to wreak havoc on our digestive systems but they're so worth the hassle (and heartburn!).

Seth Mariscal

The Nutty Food Lover

http://www.nuttyfoodlover.com