• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

Here are the results...

1.Tims, Cracked Peppercorn 93.6%

2.Herrs, Steak and Worcestshire 85.3%

3.Tims, Jalapeno 85.0%

4.Herrs, Sour Cream and Onion 83.0%

5.Tims, Wild West Habanero 82.9%

6.Tims, Cascade (Plain) 82.5%

7.Herrs, Salt and Pepper 81.7%

8.Cape Cod, Jalapeno/Cheddar 81.0%

9.Tims, Wasabi 80.5%

10.Herrs, Jalapeno 77.1%

11.Tims, Sour Cream and Onion 76.7%

12.Utz, Honey BBQ 76.1%

13.Tims, Luau BBQ 76.0%

14.Dirty, Salt and Vinegar 74.2%

15.Herrs, Heinz Ketchup 72.7%

16.Kettle, Salt and Pepper 71.7%

17.Cape Cod, Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper 70.0%

18.Cape Cod, Sea Salt and Vinegar 70.0%

19.Yomayoshi, Wasabi Beef 68.3%

20.Herrs, Old Bay seasoning 68.2%

21.Utz, Crab Flavor Chips 67.3%

22.Herrs, Ripple 66.7%

23.Tims, Dill Pickle 66.5%

24.Kettle, Jalapeno Flavor 65.6%

25.Mike Sells, Salt/Vinegar 62.3%

26.Kettle, Classic BBQ 62.1%

27.Dirty, Mesquite BBQ 62.0%

28.Lays, BBQ 61.0%

29.Mike Sells, Jalapeno/Cheddar Flavor 60.7%

30.Utz, Natural Light Salt 60.0%

31.Utz, Kettle Classic Crunchy 60.0%

32.Kettle, Goat Cheese and Red Pepper Flavor 59.7%

33.Ruffles, Sour Cream and Onion 58.0%

34.Utz, Sour Cream and Onion 58.0%

35.Dirty, Spicy Cajun 56.3%

36.Kettle, Sour Cream and Onion 55.0%

37.Herrs, Crisp and Tasty 55.0%

38.Cape Cod, 40 Percent Reduced Fat 55.0%

39.Ralphs, Sour Cream and Onion 54.0%

40.Utz, Homestyle Kettle 50.0%

41.Tims, Hawaiian Kettle 50.0%

42.Japanese, Seaweed 49.2%

43.Dirty, Roasted Garlic and Herb 48.5%

44.Utz ,New England Mystic Chips 46.7%

45.Dirty, Sour Cream and Onion 42.5%

46.Utz, Chocolate covered 40.9%

47.Dirty, Honey Mustard 36.7%

48.Japanese, Camembert 25.8%

49.Japanese, Potato Butter 23.8%

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Sandy,

I live in Lancaster County and I can assure you that Hanover is not located in lancaster.  Hanover is in York County.  There are great chips made in Lancaster County including lots of lard chips.  Herr's are made in Lancaster co in the town of Nottingham  Also Groff's made in Lancaster Co. One of the best is Stehman's which is made in Monhton, Berks county and the elusive legandary Diffenbachs.  Real lard and hard to find.  I know that many folks in Philly think Lancaster co is everything west of Villanova, but there are lots of counties in PA

Sixty-seven, to be specific. I also know that York is the next county west from Lancaster, and that like Lancaster, county and county seat have the same name. (I also know why the local transit agency in Lancaster is called Red Rose Transit, and wonder why there's no White Rose Transit in York, but that's really a subject for another board. But I got Hanover in the wrong county. Oops!

Stehman's and Diffenbach's don't make it to Philly-area supermarket shelves, it appears.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I'm completely addicted to the Krinkle Cut Kettle Chips, both the lightly salted and the dill & sour cream varieties. IMHO, way better than regular Kettle Chips. I know it's wrong to replace entire meals with chips, but I find myself doing it anyway. They're just so...crunchy.

Another favorite that I can't find since relocating to AZ is Old Dutch. Damn fine potato chip.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

.  I know it's wrong to replace entire meals with chips, but I find myself doing it anyway.

Are you kidding? I do this all the time. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am currently hooked on Lay's Natural Potato chips. I hate their regular product, but these are great, thick cut, very potatoey (if that's a word :unsure: ) and just the right amount of salt. They have to be kept on the refrigerator and portioned out so that I don't scarf the whole damn bag in one sitting.

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I have a bag of Tim's Sweet Maui Onion chips that I picked up at Smart & Final. Actually I thought I had picked up another type but didn't notice until I was in the checkout line that I had the wrong ones.

These are pretty good

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I am currently hooked on Lay's Natural Potato chips.  I hate their regular product, but these are great, thick cut, very potatoey (if that's a word  :unsure: ) and just the right amount of salt.  They have to be kept on the refrigerator and portioned out so that I don't scarf the whole damn bag in one sitting.

I had my yearly craving for chips last night, and I bought Lay's Regular. They were OK, and satisfed the need, until I looked at the nutrition label.

They were low in trans fat, but high (100%) in saturated fat. The fat was not named, but they were fried in 'vegetable' oil. I suspect palm oil, or cocoanut oil.

Next year, when the craving hits, I'll choose more carefully!

This is cute. Kettle Chips is taking votes for the next new flavor. Strawberry cream potato chips, anyone?

I really like some of the Kettle Chip varieties I've had in England; Stilton and Port, Mature Brie and Cranberry, Sweet Chili, Mediterranean Feta and Olive...

I like a thick, juicy-with-fresh-vegetable-oil chip myself. That's why I like these.

This topic is great! I was in Scotland 2 weeks ago and had Walker's Sensations crisps.

Walkers Sensations

These were SO GOOD, I thought I'd never eat another US chip without a tinge of sandness.

My favorite flavor of Walker Sensations was Thai Sweet Chilli. YUM YUM. :wub: Very tasty and very very crunchy. Our chips just seem so oily now.

Tangy tomato and Red Pepper Salsa was pretty freekin good too.

I'll have to try some of the other flavors and chips listed in the discussion, just so I don't get depressed. :wacko:

Cindy G.

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

For 110 posts on eGullet I am disappointed that the absolute best chips on the face of the earth have not been mentioned by anyone: Kitch'n Cook'd from Maui. Lancaster Mike noted the second best chips, the "ellusive Diffenbach's." This is the website that will tell you a bit about them along with where to purchase them in central Pa:

http://www.dutchvalleyfoods.com/food/ItemD...7e-c78eb3a374a6

There are other central PA potato chips that are outstanding, fried in lard and generally very difficult to find-outside of central PA. Even Gibble's has a homestyle chip available around Chambersburg. Note, I am not talking about Gibble's; rather, I am refer to Gibble's thick cut, lard fried old fashioned potato chips which are only sold in a handful of stores. Local stores in Reading feature a number of serious potato chips including King's lard fried chips in bag's that look, for all the world, like Tim's from the West Coast.

Having said all of this, there are a handful of small towns throughout PA, even Hagerstown, MD, where store front shops sell in house sliced and fried potato chips. For anyone that mentions Grandma Utz, Poole's, Tim's, Zapp's, Mike Sells and a whole host of others, these all seriously pale to the old style chips made in store fronts like this. Excepting these, the best I have ever had are the Kitch'n Cook'd which have become all but impossible to find outside of visiting Maui. Several stores used to overnight these to the Mainland but, to the best of my knowledge, they have stopped. Now, the ONLY way to taste Kitch'n Cook'd is to visit Hawaii. In person and buy them there!

Have you tried Tims Maui Onion? Tims pretty much "laid that smack down" along with Herrs in the chip test...

Kitch'n Cook'd is the 50 or so year old brand that made Maui potato chips famous. Any chip on the mainland that talks about "Maui" onion is an imitation of the original. In fact in Hawaii there are a number of imitations including Maui Specialty which are fairly good but somewhat greasy. As for Herr's I can't imagine comparing any Herr's to some of the locals such as Diffenbach's and King's around Reading or Lancaster. We're just talking about two different things.

I also remember actually going to the Utz factory in the '60's and eating their chips directly out of the fat. Then they sold cans of chips in a small store in the factory. Those chips, fresher than what was found in stores, were outstanding and very different from today.

I also found a chip in Rockford, IL that was seriously good. The name escapes me but it was sold in Woodmans stores in part of WI and IL. Olde Salty? or something like that. Not a lard fried chip bu excellent potato flavor.

gallery_26331_941_13455.jpg

This picture was taken by a colleague in New Dehli a couple of weeks ago...

I'd be interested in trying the Uncle Chipps Chilli-Cha-Cha, the Kurkure Masala Munch, Lay's Chaat Street, and the Lay's Spanish ...<something> Tango!

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

I know this post is old but...

Has anyone ever had plantain chips - fantastic. You can get them with a hint of spice or one brand with alot. Also, I've had some of those chaat street ones posted above and I wish I brought a few back with me. Also, Kettle Chips have a parsnip chip which is really nice as well.

I also have to lend my support to Utz and Lay's cheddar and sour cream...and also, shamefully, Funyuns (sp?). If they count.

I know this post is old but...

Has anyone ever had plantain chips - fantastic. You can get them with a hint of spice or one brand with alot. Also, I've had some of those chaat street ones posted above and I wish I brought a few back with me. Also, Kettle Chips have a parsnip chip which is really nice as well.

I also have to lend my support to Utz and Lay's cheddar and sour cream...and also, shamefully, Funyuns (sp?). If they count.

I sometimes get the Chifles brand at work, I like them a lot. 99 cents and you get a decent sized bag of them too.

http://www.chifles-chips.com/

They are made from Costa Rican plantains in Tampa, Florida.

The bag design is very retro and it looks like they havent changed the look of it for like 30 years!

Chifles slices the plantains lengthwise and then fries them, so they are more of a fried "strip" than a chip. Although, come to think of it, they appear to have "chips" listed as opposed to the "strips" I can get in our coffee shop/lunchroom.

While they are primarily bought by the NY and Miami latino population, they happen to be labeled Kosher Pareve... for those of you kosher chip fiends. I'd like to figure out how exactly they can certify the chips as Pareve though, considering they also have a fried pork rind product!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Filipinos love plantain chips too... much tastier than banana chips. They're usually available either lightly salted or sweet; the next time I'm in a Filipino food store, I'll check to see which brands they have available.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I love Utz's Salt and Pepper. I also avoid the chip aisle because I can't resist the siren song of these chips. My second choice would be the Chifles plaintain chips mentioned below. Local stores carry both strips and chips as well as various flavorings (I like the garlic but the regular salted work better with salsa).

• 1 year later...

While I am not saying these will become my favorite chip...

I just finished a snack bag of Wavy Lays " same great taste now made with Sunflower Oil"

It took me till the very end to realize it but these taste buttery...like I dunno, maybe just inside the skin of a good baked potato with butter.

Well pretty good whatever they taste like

and No TransFats

:wink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Another vote here for plantain chips (with salt and red chili powder),

also tapioca chips,

and Lay's of all people are marketing a totally addictive

sweet potato chip around here!

Among potato chips as available in the US, I like

Utz Kettle Cooked or Lays Crispy....

Indian potato chips of course.... sigh....

I like the extra spicy with curry leaves....

Milagai