• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chip Flavors

SobaAddict70

Let me rephrase ,   have you tried blair's  Death rain  Jolokia Pepper or   Blair's Jalapeno cheddar  chips?

It is bit hard reading with a  cling-on 2 year old.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Me? No. Only the Buffalo ones. 

Here's another CALBEE, Inc.'s Barbecue-Flavoured Grill-a-Corn. I didn't bother with a shot of the rear face of the packaging as it's essentially the same: just mess with the colours a little and sub the words 'hot and spicy' for 'barbecue'. This one just has a fairly ... generic flavour. Almost like Twisties without the overpowering hit of real fake cheese flavour. The Hot and Spicy Grill-a-Corn meant expectations were high. This, like most any snack food product that claims to replicate the flavour of barbecue--whatever that means--tastes vaguely of non-specific meat flavouring jacked with a little paprika and something ... kind of sweet. I guess that's the non-specific quantities of glucose and fructose. 

DSC_0065_zpsa942dfe1.jpg

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Not quite in the spirit of the thread, but my favorite chips (other than Herr's ripple chips) are the ones that I fry up at 1am when the need is acute. Yukon gold sliced thin on a mandolin, fried till brown (takes moments)...and salt/peppered...maybe some smoked paprika.

• Like 2

i am a Pennsylvania Dutch boy so, i was raised on a certain chip.. primarily cooked in lard.. i came across these guys the other day.. they are cooked in veg shortening.  

The sort of taste so potato like that they almost seem artificial.. they way a pringels is just some particle board chip.. but, they are the real deal and not only super crisp but, they have  a bright clean potato taste. 

15648383123_e451c24c1a_z.jpg

16082168459_d4ae57a3fd_z.jpg

• Like 2

Calbee's curry-flavoured potato crisps. Thin, Lay's-style crisp. That's automatically a problem for me. Slightly greasy--not as bad as Lay's, though--with a boring and generic curry powder flavour. Mild heat. Perhaps the redeeming feature is that, as well as that greasy aftertaste, there's a bit of potato on the end. Not Calbee's finest hour.

DSC_0022_zpsee27efa3.jpg

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

A finer hour for CALBEE but no hot and spicy.

DSC_0042_zps705a39cb.jpg

More Grill-a-Corn. This time it's garlic bread flavour. I admire any company that produces garlic bread-flavoured anything--snack-flavoured snacks--even if I harbour a suspicion it'll taste and smell like garlic powder. Garlic powder might be an essential part of many dry rubs but it's not something you really want to eat from the tub, is it? Luckily, garlic Grill-a-Corn isn't too strong. Somewhat similar to 'chicken' Twisties without the real fake chicken part of the flavour profile. Workable.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Plain Ruffles with refrigerated onion dip are a serious weakness. Side note, I have a friend who actually turns on the oven to around 400 degrees, lays the chips in a single layer, and bakes for 5 to 7 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Upon removal from the oven, she sprinkles the chips with kosher salt. It's kind of excessive, but an interesting thing to try.

Welcome to eGullet, ChostChef. I'm with you on the 'classic' flavors: plain Ruffles or classic Lays potato chips for me.

What does your friend's oven heating do with those chips, aside from heat them up? Do you think they seem more or less oily when they come out of the oven?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've never done it but here's what I know: Martha Stewart puts plain lightly salted Kettle Chips in the oven 5-7 min "until you can see the oil" and then removes them from the oven and sprinkles them with finely grated hard cheese and paprika.

Another recipe I've seen is for BBQ Kettle chips in which you also spread the chips out and bake for about 5 minutes "until you can smell the chips. Remove and sprinkle with salt, sugar and smoked paprika.

I would love it if someone else would make them and I could try a few, but somehow I just can't get up the energy to take something that's already salty and greasy and make them more salty and greasy. I could maybe see doing it with just a bit of smoked paprika.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Goma Kanpai 'Japanaese potato cookies'. When I saw the packaging in the store I envisioned a Japanese version of something like a product sold in the Australian chips, etc aisle. Only sesame flavoured. When I opened the package I was surprised to see something that looked ... glazed. So, hey, these things are kind of sweet. Only there's that salty potato snack flavour sitting in the background. I can't really tell if I actually like them or am just entranced by their weirdness in relation to the standards of western potato-based snack foods.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Got the curry flavour one for the other half who doesn't mind curries. I tried one and went to brush my teeth soon after. Can't stand curry anything.

iUZaFgX5PEf1G.JPG

Butter flavour is too mild. Not good enough. Tomorrow I go get the beef stew one again. Let's hope it's not all gone ('limited edition')!

iGuyyaPjn0jt8.JPG

BonVivant:  Thanks for reminding me about my friend and my movie night in Breda many years ago. We got this small packet of chips at the  theatre for free and a  pepsi cola.  I wont spell the name  in  Dutch,  my Dutch suck,   but they were called   American  Movie theatre  butter flavoured chips and the bag was blue,red and white with stars and  it had this weird artificial butter flavour a bit stronger then  microwaveable butter popcorn.

Well  they had a break in the middle of the movie and since we were the first sitting, we were the first to get these free chips and well we were yellow.  My hands, my lips and where I had touch my clothes  were yellow.. and I wasnt the only one.   When we left the   chips had been removed.  My friend loved them, he spent the next month hunting for them but couldnt found more then they had been with drawled.

Thank you for the memory!

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

• 1 month later...

Finally found a bag of the wasabi ginger to try and I kind of like them.  Sure there's an artificial component like there is in most flavored chips, but I don't find it off putting.  Thinking about making an Asian flavored onion dip to go with them.

• 4 months later...

So, the wife brought home sample bags of three new Lay's flavors yesterday, biscuit and gravy, gyro, and reuben sandwich.

We found all three to be pretty vile, no likeable one like the wasabi ginger.  The best of the worst was the reuben which tasted vaguely like a sauerkraut chip.  Both the gyro and the biscuit had a kind of muddied artificial meat thing going that to us was off putting.  Seems to me those are flavors that would be hard to paint on a chip.  But, three people won a million bucks.

OK, please tell me the appeal of weirdly flavored potato chips. I mean, when I do eat potato chips (which is not terribly often because, as is appropriate for the brand being discussed in this thread, I have a ridiculously difficult time stopping at one, or three, or...), I want them to taste like potato chips. If I want any additional flavor(s) to augment my chips, I'll dip them in something tasty that doesn't contain nasty artificial crap.

That said, I've been known to buy Kettle Brand Sriracha Potato Chips, mainly for Ms. Alex, but I do indulge in a few occasionally. (It's a safe chip for me; more than a few gets to be too much.) The ingredients aren't all that off-putting, either.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

"""   I want them to taste like potato chips. If I want any additional flavor(s) to augment my chips, I'll dip them in something tasty  ""

Kudos your way.

​then there is the Corn Chip .....  it's best friend is guacamole.

• Like 2

So, the wife brought home sample bags of three new Lay's flavors yesterday, biscuit and gravy, gyro, and reuben sandwich.

We found all three to be pretty vile, no likeable one like the wasabi ginger.  The best of the worst was the reuben which tasted vaguely like a sauerkraut chip.  Both the gyro and the biscuit had a kind of muddied artificial meat thing going that to us was off putting.  Seems to me those are flavors that would be hard to paint on a chip.  But, three people won a million bucks.

Just in the grocery store this afternoon and a couple were commenting on the flavors.  The only one that looked interesting was the truffle fries .....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I've recently tried all four of this year's flavors.

I've never tasted truffles before so the Truffle Fries were an unknown flavor to me. They were okay but didn't "wow" me.

Also, the Truffle Fries chips were wavy/ridged, where the other three flavors were regular potato chips. 

The Reuben chips were odd tasting. I could discern a faint caraway flavor and a tartness which could have been either the sauerkraut or mustard. I'm not a fan of mustard on chips (they reminded me of Doritos Hamburger flavored chips from a couple of years ago which I didn't like either).

The Southern Biscuits and Gravy were a surprise. I could taste the sage from the "sausage" and they had a creaminess/mild cheesiness. They were different enough from other potato chip flavors that I would consider buying them again.

The last flavor I tried was the Greektown Gyro. The flavor that stood out for me with these chips was the Tzatziki flavor. I could discern dill (it wasn't strong) and an almost faint cucumber-ish flavor. I would consider buying them again, because they tasted different from other flavored chips.

I could not taste any fake "meat" flavors in any of the chips. 

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

image.jpg

Tried these. Meh. After the first chip one could believe one detected something close to butter chicken but the impression quickly dissipates along with the flavour.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tried these. Meh. After the first chip one could believe one detected something close to butter chicken but the impression quickly dissipates along with the flavour.

Now that's simply bizarre. Butter Chicken, along with three other flavors -- Cowboy BBQ Beans, Montreal Smoked Meat, and Prince Edward Island Scalloped Potatoes -- are finalists in "Lay’s Canada’s Do Us a Flavour Tastes of Canada contest".

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer