• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 Nights in Nashville

sara

Hi

I've got a job interview at Vandy in a few weeks and need dinner recommendations for 1-2 nights, preferably near campus. I'd like to try the best Nashville has to offer--be that BBQ, more upscale, whatever--let me hear what you have to say. Thanks!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I visited Nashville last summer for the first time with my husband for a convention and definitely would come back. Had some very enjoyable dining experiences. I don't think ChefSeanBrock was at The Capitol Grille back then, but I have heard some wonderful things about it recently, so would be worth checking it out.

Places we visited:

Zola, 3001 West End Ave, Upscale dining, lots of seafood entrees and veggies.

The Bound'ry, 911 20th Ave S., nice eclectic menu, dark and romantic atmosphere, husband had bison, very nice and tender.

F. Scott, 2210 Crestmoor, Green Hills, Had a drink, an appetizer and listened to jazz in the bar. Pleasant.

Hog Heaven, 115 27th Ave N, (on a side street near The Parthenon), outstanding chicken sandwich with white barbecue sauce. Got the food to go and ate it at The Parthenon.

Jack's BBQ (various locations)... smoky smoky ribs, good sides, pure vittles.

Rotier's... Elliston St.....down the road from Elliston Soda Shop.... My vote for Nashville's best lunch... An outstanding hamburger (or cheeseburger), ask for it on the french bread, and ask for a chocolate shake (not on the menu)... As simple as it sounds, to me, this meal alone is worth a trip back to Nashville.

Fat Mo's...burgers, various locations...there are those that love 'em (Pogophiles) and then there is my husband who said the burger should be called Mo fat, and that it was just an oversized Wendy's burger.... You be the judge...

We didn't visit but it's near Vandy:

Pancake Pantry, 1796 21st Ave S,...They line up outside for breakfast here, so I guess it must be good...

Instead we visited the Loveless Cafe (about 20 minutes or so south of Nashville) for their famous biscuits and country ham.....

I second (third?) the suggestion for The Capitol Grille. Chef Sean will probably do a special tasting menu for you if you let him know you're an eGulleter. It's the best fine dining in Nashville, and with a Southern twist at that. (Wild Boar is pretty strictly French, but their wine list is incredible).

For BBQ, I agree about Hog Heaven. And definitely try the white BBQ sauce.

Also check out Swett's for the quintessential meat-n-three.

For hot chicken, a local favorite, the most venerable location is Prince's Hot Chicken Shack.

If you want more upscale options, ask again -- I have eaten pretty much everywhere in Nashville about three times. :rolleyes:

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Got some pics and recommends on my site.

In the do not miss category, though, breakfast at Loveless. I've been told ownership has changed or is the process of changing. I'm hoping it stays the same.

Also a fan of Rotier's.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Yum, Cap Grille looks great. I'm waiting on my itinerary from Vandy to learn where they are taking me for dinner (keeping my fingers crossed it's one of the places y'all have mentioned) and then I'll pick a place for my other two nights...

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

One caveat - there are a ton of crappy restaurants near Vandy -- if your hosts ask you about any sort of dining preference, say "someplace locally owned" -- this will instantly rule out any number of crappy megachain restaurants you wouldn't enjoy very much, and instantly rule in a number of very good local places that are very close to Vandy (like Zola or Sunset Grill).

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

As of this time the Loveless has closed for remodeling. It has been bought by Tom Morales of Tom Kats catering and Saffire,etc. He says he's not going to change anything at the Loveless. They expect to be closed for 2-3 months I think.

Absolutely give chefseanbrock a call he has done 2 special dinners for me and they were both outstanding, creative but with great style.

• 2 weeks later...
I can suggest The Wild Boar - always a stop when I'm in Nashville. Superb wine list.

I don't know if I'm too late to chime in, but as for the food, I would go to Capitol Grille over Wild Boar, but for wine, Wild Boar beats just about anything in town.

I also like Virago, its not out-of-this-world, but I've had pretty good food there.

My experience at the wild boar was average at best. The food was nothing special and someone can help you buy the same great wines at Nashville Wine and spirits. Acorn was very good. Saffire was very good-- but the chef is no longer there. Tamarind Thai restaurant was also very good. The boundry seems to pack them in, I walked around for 20 minutes and couldnt get a table or a drink so I left. You will have a great time!

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

Hi

I got my schedule and it looks like I'm going to Sunset Grille for dinner the first night, and having breakfast at the Noshville restaurant, and lunch at Midtown Cafe. The second dinner location isn't listed, so I'll bring your suggestions!

-- William Grimes

(WHOOPS, this is Sara, but I posted under my boyfriend Liam's name by mistake! YIKES! :biggrin: )

hi

Well, ultimately, my dining was totally decided upon by others... so here's what I got:

dinners at Sunset Grille and Cafe OneTwoThree: I had very nice vension at the Grille, and a lovely Marquis Phillips cab sav. The place is a bit overpriced, and the menu doesn't appear all that exciting to an East Coast gal, but it was a fun scene. The Cafe food was merely ok--the spinach salad was the best part, along with a WA Gewurtz; the crawfish spring roll and the seafood New Orleans dish the waitress pushed were totally missable. And unfortunately they were out of the lovely Yalumba Galway port.

Breakfast at Noshville-- YICK. Stale bread for the french toast, totally 'nuked cheese blintzes. I wish the Pantry took reservations, if so they would've taken me there instead.

Lunch at some Indian buffet near Peabody, which was fine.

All in all, the food was edible in Nashville, but if I come back for a second visit, I will definitely try those more highly recommended spots like the Cap Grille and the Boar, before deciding to make a move! :biggrin:

Now, for my information, how are the wine stores in town?? Open on Sundays? Prices? Large selection of American wines other than CA? How about Australians?

thanks y'all!

Edited by liamdc (log)

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

We will be spending a couple of nights and days in Nashville during March Break. Although we'll be travelling in our RV, a couple of spots for lunches would be great. Possibly one dinner. I don't want to cook all the time on my vacation! :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

To answer the question about where to buy wine, my foodie friends from Readerville suggest these:

Nashville Wine & Spirits in Belle Meade

Frugal MacDoogal on Division

Midtown Liquors on Church

Nashville Wine and Spirits on Harding Road

None are open on Sunday, honey: Nashville has more churches per capita than Rome. I've been to Frugal MacDoogal and they've got a big selection of wines.

We will be spending a couple of nights and days in Nashville during March Break. Although we'll be travelling in our RV, a couple of spots for lunches would be great. Possibly one dinner. I don't want to cook all the time on my vacation! :biggrin:

Hey, Marlene, I worked on a website (production, not design) for a restaurant called Germantown Cafe, and it's supposed to be pretty good. There are some reviews on the website...and it's got a great view of the skyline. Their specialty is something called Plum Pork, and it's what I'd order if I were going. Correction: I will be going sometime, and that's what I will be trying.

Enjoy Nashville: I miss it so much. It's one of the best places I've ever lived.

I'll double the recommendation for Nashville Wine and Spirits. Great selection of obscure wines. I shop at Village Wines, however, in Hillsboro Village. Proprietor Hoyt Hill knows his stuff, and specializes in getting you (the consumer) the best bang for the buck.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

• 2 weeks later...

Two good places in Nashville are Monell's (family style Southern food) and F. Scott's (contemporary American cuisine). F. Scott's has a great deal for those that are willing to eat later at night ('Dine after Nine'). After 9pm, everything on their menu is half off.

• 3 months later...

Will be visiting Nashville next week, wanted some input on Bound'ry, Sunset Grill, and Cafe One Two Three. I am from New Jersey, so I am interested in something different, something possibly called "New Southern" . Something with outdoor dining is really appreciated. Thanks for the feedback!

Will be visiting Nashville next week, wanted some input on Bound'ry, Sunset Grill, and Cafe One Two Three. I am from New Jersey, so I am interested in something different, something possibly called "New Southern" . Something with outdoor dining is really appreciated. Thanks for the feedback!

I've only been to Bound'ry of the three places you mentioned, and I thought it was overrated and rather pretentious. I had lobster ravioli--the sauce of which was wonderful but it was so strong in flavour that it completely overwhelmed any flavour the lobster might have had. I also tried two types of pizza, the calamari sandwich, and some kind of Tex-Mex type melted cheese dip. None were anything to write home about.

My two favourite food places were, and I've mentioned this here before, Wilma Kaye's and Parco Cafe. I don't think either would qualify as "New Southern" but they were both wonderful. Wilma Kaye's is only open weekdays for lunch while Parco Cafe (I'm assuming) is only open when the Farmer's Market is open. If I were to go back to Nashville, I would definitely go back to those places.

Aside from Bound'ry, other places I would not return would be Jack's and the Pancake Pantry. Again, overrated--both of them.

I share the previous opinion of the Bound'ry. Too much show off and way over- peppered. Down the street a little is South Street (Cafe?), if it hasn't closed since I moved to PA. It's more New Orleans than Southern. Kinda open aired--although in Nashville's humid summer you might want to eat inside. I've had several wonderful things there including a wonderful bread pudding with Bourbon Sauce and a fantastic shrimp-fresh corn-cream cheese frittata at Saturday brunch.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I've eaten at all the places you mentioned. They're all -- in a way -- "see and be seen" places, which can be a big turn off. I vowed never to return to Cafe One Two Three because my wife and I received unbelievably bad service.

I eat at the Boundr'y pretty frequently, but usually on off nights and almost always at the bar, since one of the bartenders is an acquaintance of mine. The food specials are extensive and change daily and range from bad to unbelievably great.

Sunset Grill's food is consistently good, but not great -- the food styles there tend to be a little played out, but the wine list is excellent. Their recent parking-nazi actions in Hillsboro Village though have made me pretty much a non-customer.

If you want something with a Southern twist, I recommend Chef Sean Brock's place, the Capitol Grille.

Most of the places that advertise to tourists (like the Pancake Pantry, etc) serve fairly bad food.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth