• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hibiscus

cbarre02

For an upcoming dinner I am serving a Coconut Milk Panna Cotta with Hibiscus Gellee, and coconut daquiose. I have all ready made the actual panna cotta element, and it tastes quite nice. The coconut is rich while the hibiscus has a bit of an acidic bite to it, and seems to compliment it well. I would like to offer some more "light" components in the dessert, with out loosing the hibiscus in a bunch of other fruit flavors.

I would like a sauce element, and possibly a fruit bruniose (though this is the part that scares me). I don't think that I want a frozen element, but am still not ruling it out all together.

Suggestions?

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

Never having tasted Hibiscus (didn't know they were even edible) I'm can't be very helpful. Traditional parings with coconut: rum, bananas, pineapple, chocolate......

-for me-I wouldn't like a frozen element along side of a panna cotta.

What are you doing with your daquiose specificly (are you completely drying it out or leaving some chew to it) is it a garnish or your base?

How gelitanized is your gellee?

Although I can see adding 1 "light" component -a foam, it wouldn't complete the dessert for me with-out more contrast.

Off the top of my head-I could see hiding a lemon compote in the center of your panna cotta or using your daquiose as your base, layer of lemon compote then panna cotta. A vanilla bean foam. A hot phyllo triangle (maybe with a ganche filling and a couple grains of salt on top) letting your hibiscus be your accent.

Next persons turn.....

The daquiose is going to be completely dry, and yes it will be used as my base. As for the gellee, it is a thin layer already on the panna cotta (like a chocolate glaze on a cake). The panna cotta is set in a half sheet tray and cut into shapes from there. Both the gellee and the panna cotta have as little gelatin as possible, just enough to hold them.

Though I love the idea of the lemon compote, I am afraid the easy to identify flavor of the lemon will over power the hibiscus. I suppose that I could do a hibiscus sauce to fortify the flavor through out the dish, and then pairing would be easier.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

I have to wonder how many people will know that's hibiscus their tasting? You can't count on that being enough to wow your group.

Have you already tried cutting out your shapes? I don't think I could pull that off with my panna cotta recipe.

I'm sorry I can't think of anything that's not been offered: fruits, nuts, chocolate.........a liquour maybe....a thin sauce with color to bring out the pale coconut panna cotta.

or make it a study in white and play with shapes and textures on your plate. Ideas: a malibu liquour sauce, toasted fresh coconut curls, white chocolate and coconut disks, spray paint something in white chocolate, a white chocolate lemon ganche truffle, pale shortbreads.........anisette drizzle.....

Wendy... Thanks for the idea of the lemon compote; I think that I am going with a citrus compote. I tried it today, and.... well it was wonderful. I also cut out the panna cotta, and yes it cuts nice (but is a pain to move). Also liked the idea of papaya, and mango.

Thanks for the input.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

What is your crunch? Just thinking outloud, if hibiscus is an edible flower, can you use the leaf/flower in the dessert....no, flower too large. Hmmm... I liked the white chocolate. Possibly a white chocolate hibiscus flower? Coconut and mango sound good to me! Maybe a mango gelee. Who knows, just thinking..

Oooooo I like Karen's idea for macadamia compote!

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

If you have ever tasted "Agua Jamica" (a very popular drink in Mexico), then you have had hibiscus. If not go to a Latin market and ask for it. Steep a generous amount of the flowers in water with honey, or sugar. Just chill over ice and enjoy, it's one of my favorites

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

I drink hibiscus tea every day. I enjoy its bracing sourness unaccompanied by any added sweetening agent, and its red color is fun too. I also understand that regular drinking of hibiscus tea has been shown to lower blood pressure, which is why I drink it.

Michael aka "Pan"