• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sponge cake recipes?

42feed

My basic ratio 1lg-egg-1oz cake flour-1oz sugar. Whip eggs and sugar to full volume, fold in flour(sifted 3x), bake.

There are variations on this-ie. separating eggs-that will give different results.

hth, danny

Before I just post recipes- what's actually going on 42feed? Whats going wrong that makes you turn to a mix? Texture, taste, volume....? What are you using these for, how many do you make at one time? Who's recipe are you using now and can you post it (in case theres something obviously wrong about it).

There are many different types of sponge cake - genoise, biscuit, joconde, chiffon, etc - and hundreds of recipes for each. Perhaps you could give us a bit more information on what you are doing with the sponge cake and what you've tried so far, and maybe we could point you in some more productive directions?

This is the one recipe on which I have not been able to get consistent results. I have tried several different recipes, and honestly cannot say what has gone wrong, which is very frustrating because I am otherwise quite successful with cakes and baking in general.

I am experimenting with tiramisu, and so far, the cakes have come out too dry, with very large air pockets, too dense and barely risen, you name it. I am told the problem may lie in the incorporation of the egg whites.

Although I found a fairly reliable mix, it has a rather "processed" taste to it, and I'd prefer not to use it again.

Don't know if this helps, but I am grateful if any of you can.

:smile:

-42 feed

You still didn't say exactly what sponge cake recipe your struggling with (look above at nightscotsmans post, there are many items that can be described as a "sponge" cake), but since you wrote tiramisu I'm guessing your talking about a ladyfingers sponge? But- it would be nice if you could clarify exactly what recipe or recipes your using. Your failures could be because of your technique or it might be because of your recipe.

For instance, are you making tiramisu in torted/layered rounds...are these cakes (that would be a more modern version of a tirmisu). Or are you making this in sheet pans with a soft filling marscarpone filling (that would be a classic tiramisu).

My reason for asking is to help you make the best tiramisu, which seems to be your final goal.

From my experience the best classic tirimisu with a heavy soaking of coffee/liquour and a soft marscarpone filling is BEST using those hard as a rock PURCHASED ladyfingers. I tried for years to find a dry enough ladyfinger recipe to be authentic and I don't believe homemade ladyfingers can and are right for this application. I buy them in for this one application.

But on the other hand, I sometimes make tiramisu tortes in rounds, I add gelatin to the marscarpone filling so it will stand up....in this version a light textured sponge cake is right and should be scratch baked.

I use a different recipe for ladyfingers then I do for a sponge cake because I want different results from each. I do use recipes from well known sources, I don't have a recipe I personally created.....so I'm not sure how much I can post and need advice from a monitor, help Micheal or Steve!

From the descriptions you wrote it does sound like it's your technique folding in your whites and getting it into your pan thats giving your problems.

1. Too dry- ladyfingers are dry and so should a sponge cake be for tiramisu. They have to be to take a liquid soaking and not fall apart. I tend to think you didn't use enough soaking liquid. BUT yes some recipes will give you dryer results then others....and over baking could be possible too.

2. Very large air pockets-means you didn't spread it out on your pan correctly and you left air pockets, this batter is light so it doesn't have gravity pulling it down, you do have to manually spread it in your pan to eliminate pockets. Theres a fine line between too lightly handled and just right.

3. Too dense- you may have under whipped your whites (or not had enough whites) or over handled folding them in, so they either didn't have enough structure to hold or you collapsed them while folding.

I use a wire whisk to fold my whites into batters (including mousses). I believe this gives the best results. You can't weight down your whites (or whipped cream) with a whisk like you can with a spatula. I use a folding action and do not whip the ingredients together. Do you use a bent handled spatula to smooth down your batter in your pan? A rubber spatula can be clumsy and heavy so you don't feel comfortable spreading it out.

I'll come back and give you a recipe as soon as I hear from a monitor about posting from a well known source. But, I hope in the mean time- that one of my other points might have helped you.

Edited by Sinclair (log)

Wendy, nice tip about folding with a whisk. I would have never thought of that one. I do a good job with a spatula (I've seen my genoise more than double what it used to be since I first started) but I'm definitely going to try the whisk approach next.

Thanks!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Wendy, you are my new hero! I used a whisk to do the folding this time, guess what!? Absolutely perfect!!

BTW, I am doing a sheet cake cut into rounds, with a marscapone and pear marmalade layered filling. Grand Marnier and Frangelico are the liquers of choice for this one.

Thank you so much for your help!

-42feed

You know what? I have a perfectly easy time making ladyfingers, brewing some espresso, and whipping some mascarpone cheese. You don't need a mix, box, or a special forumula.

I took property of a large hotel as a Pastry Chef. I saw the bags of ladyfingers and said"we will make them".

To make ladyfingers perfect; after you pipe them, coat them heavily in powdered sugar three times . This is a simple rustic dessert guys- don't get too craZY!

I've found an easy really reliable way to make sponge cakes that require separation of eggs is to whip the egg whites with much of the sugar in the recipe. They will become high and firm, and won't collapse as sponges sometimes do when you're in a hurry, or don't make them very often.

You need a mixer to do this properly, or a really strong arm with good endurance.

Wendy....about how much gelatin do you add? I know it depends on the amount of the filing...and I am assuming you bloom it. My brother loved the Eggnog Tiramisu Trifle (Bon Appetit ) at Christmas so much I thought I would make it for him into a Birthday Cake this spring.

BEST using those hard as a rock PURCHASED ladyfingers. I tried for years to find a dry enough ladyfinger recipe to be authentic and I don't believe homemade ladyfingers can and are right for this application. I buy them in for this one application.

I tried the Champagne Fingers in Nick Malgieri's cookie book last week and I bet they would work for you in this application. They could have been drier, but that's easy enough to do.

Edited by McDuff (log)

Wendy,

I used the whisk folding method on two recipes that I'd previously had no luck with. (I know, I am a crazy fool to work with two different recipes at once, but there is method behind my madness!) So, now that the cakes have come out just so, so beautifully, I think I can say buh-bye to the mix and go back to the recipes I already had...unless you have one you particularly like and want to pass it along.

The reason for my going crazy over all this? One of my favorite places to get tiramisu has a new pastry chef, and he is wonderful; but the old pastry chef took with her some of her signature recipes (including, yes, her heavenly tiramisu), and new chef's is...okay...

So decided to try my own.

I can't thank you enough, Wendy. Such a simple solution!

-Liz