• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilled Cheese

NeroW

Brie and Fig jam. Camenbert and sliced apples or pears. Horseradish cheddar and apple butter. Good multi grain bread.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Grilled cheese is an occasional, and absolute pleasure for me. I like good artisan bread, something with 'unbleached' substance. Gruyere cheese, like all hard cheeses, is usually my first choice.

Method? I always butter one slice, put the sandwich in the pan and then butter the other side. I cook a single sandwich in a 7" heavy fry pan at low heat (you have to be sure the pan has fully heated) for 3-4 minutes per side. I use the oven timer to rest assured there'll be no trouble.

Tomato soup is excellent on the side, especially with green pepper corns, or ketchup, the world's most under-rated condiment.

Ooh. White bread, white cheddar, slice of tomato, bacon, another slice of cheddar and...wait for it...a scrape of grainy mustard. Boatloads of butter. Smushed to ensure that the tomato and bacon are good and stuck to everything and don't jump ship while you're eating. Griddled to almost-burned carcinogen-y goodness.

Campbell's plain jane tomato soup, made with milk and doctored with Tabasco. Manna from heaven.

Today it was roasted garlic bread, buttered lightly on one side, with fontina cheese, a dab of dijon, and a slice of warmed canadian bacon. Browned the bread in the pan, added the cheese & bacon, put the lid on the pan, and let it rest a moment off the heat to melt. Yummy!

Took my brand new (to me) antique sandwich press for a test drive tonight. Multigrain bread, light garlic mustard, cave aged cheddar and sliced ripe Magnuss pears. Served with Progresso Tomato soup jazzed up with a spoon of pesto. Very yummy dinner!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Rye with seeds, buttered on outside only. Equal amounts Swiss Gruyere and extra sharp cheddar, layered twice with large tomato slice in between. Browned on both sides in buttered nonstick skillet, then covered until cheese is melted.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I like cheddar on decent bread (sourdough or light wheat) using butter in a CAST IRON SKILLET. That surface approximates a griddle well. I melt the butter in an area the shape of the bread, put the bread own in it, lay on the cheese, then place another piece of bread on top that has little pats of butter on top. Also, I am a fan of a more "done" than not...how do others like it? My fiance likes it barely browned.

Took my brand new (to me) antique sandwich press for a test drive tonight.  Multigrain bread, light garlic mustard, cave aged cheddar and sliced ripe Magnuss pears.  Served with Progresso Tomato soup jazzed up with a spoon of pesto.  Very yummy dinner!

Wow! That sounds so good. Wonderful complimentary flavors.

Saturday evening I baked a couple of loaves of Asiago cheese bread that had been in the freezer for awhile. Set the dough to thaw and rise about noon and left it alone under a dome until 6:30 then baked it off. I let it cool a bit then made a very simple filling of two layers of mozzarella with peppadews sandwiched between the layers of cheese.

The hot/sweet/spicy counterpoint to the creamy mozzarella and the slightly salty bread was not at all bad. Certainly very filling.....

It sounds like you are enjoying your press.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We had homemade tomato soup (from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone) and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner tonight. I have a Le Creuset square griddle and I used that: whole wheat bread and sharp cheddar with butter on the outside. I usually loosely cover the sandwiches while they cook with a piece of foil. After the sandwiches were crispy and melty (outside and inside, respectively), I pulled them apart and put in slices of tomato. We have a strange tomato growing in the garden this year. It looks like a yellow brandywine, except inside it looks like a tequila sunrise. Delicious dinner!