• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best BBQ in the DC Metro Area

fischwlu

Quote from sara: "Does anyone else recall the Dixie Pig from Rt 1 in Alexandria, from the early 80s?? Back when the Multiplex was a drive-in?"

Some of us remember when the Dixie Pig was across from Beacon Field, a private airport. We never used to go there, since my father did not want to become part of the "Friday night fights."

Rick Azzarano

With this post, I hereby commence the DCBBQ Club. If interested, please respond here, or PM me.

I have created a list above of many BBQ places, which is a good start.

Starting soon, we will pick a place and go. All are invited.

I've been following these guys for some time and like the way they do it:

http://www.gasbbq.net/

They go to a place once a month, every month. I'm pretty sure I can eat at a new BBQ place one a month.

So, who's in?

Otello

Edited by otello (log)

With this post, I hereby commence the DCBBQ Club.  If interested, please respond here, or PM me.

I have created a list above of many BBQ places, which is a good start.

Starting soon, we will pick a place and go.  All are invited.

I've been following these guys for some time and like the way they do it:

http://www.gasbbq.net/

They go to a place once a month, every month.  I'm pretty sure I can eat at a new BBQ place one a month.

So, who's in?

Otello

Count me in.

Edited to add: If there is critical mass, perhaps a new thread is in order.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

Jammin Joe's

Rt 29, about 3 miles North of Warrenton in New Baltimore.

Finally got to try it today. The proprietor, Smokin Joe, said they've finally dialed-in their BBQ. A self-styled "Virginia" bbq pit, Jammin Joe's offers a pulled pork sandwich, St. Louis style ribs and chicken.

The pork sandwich is king, nevermind about anything else. If you like pulled pork (with or without slaw), this is one of the best. Moist, with a right amount sauce worked into it, it had a nice balance of smoke, spiciness and sweetness. The ribs were good (certainly above-average) but only because they were properly smoked. They did need sauce (IMO) for full flavor. Forget about the chicken, my guess is that they offer it for non-pork eating cusotmers. The chicken was moist, smoked all the way through and flavorless (and precisely why I brine my birds before smoking or roasting them-but I'm not advocating brining for real bbq).

The sauce is a nice vinegar/tomato based suace, sweetened up. The beans rock: pieces of meat, and at least 3 types of beans in sweet gravy.

Definitely worth the stop. If you need another reason to head out that way, consider picking berries or fruit at one of the many places along Rt 211, check out Sunnyside market in Sperryville or ECOW and poke around some antique stores and hit Jammin Joes on the way back home.

edit to correct name

Edited by bbq4meanytime (log)

Let me be the first to welcome you to eGullet My Confusing Horoscope, a name you could no doubt sell to some gloomly Brit-pop band for a pretty penny.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

I really want to like Rocklands because it's conveniently located (a stone's throw from the gym!), but thus far, I just haven't been impressed.

Over the weekend, I tried the pulled (and chopped) pork sandwich and a small side of the baked beans. They were out of the corn pudding.

The pork is fine. But just fine. There's not a ton of flavor even though the sandwich comes doused in some kind of red sauce. I took home a little side of some random mustardy sauce, but it didn't really help.

The wall of sauce for in-store use is kind of gross. At least half of the bottles I picked up to investigate were either completely empty or had maybe a spoonful left.

The potato bun was your usual bun. I liked it, but it would have been better with tastier innards.

The beans were hugely disappointing tasting of almost nothing but ketchup.

Previously I have had the brisket sandwich; it too was bland.

Jenny, way up in the thread I posted that Rockland's pretty much sucks by way of good BBQ so I agree with your assessment (ditto that for Red Hot & Blue and Memphis bbq, although to differing degrees). Maybe if Otello can get this BBQ club thing going, we'll be able to single out some of the better places....

I also went to Rockland's (Alexandria branch) this weekend and was relatively disappointed. The chopped pork sandwich was just as boring as Jenny said. My husband had the ribs and said they were fine. My daughter, however, loved her 1/2 BBQ chicken. The beans were just ok but the Texas Corn Pudding was pretty yummy.

Does anyone know if the Three Pigs in McLean still exists?

Unfortunately, it does.

They're still peddling that dried-out buffalo burger, too.

At least you can walk across the street to Cecile's Wine Cellar for some decent vino (or pay extortionary prices for a Jambon Beurre next door at Marvelous Market).

Cheers,

Rocks.

Well I'd just like to chime in on behalf of Rockland's. I'm willing to entertain the fact that it may not be the best out there, but I would argue it's the best in the city. Capital Q and especially Old Glory don't even compare, in my opinion. More below.

Outside of the city, I haven't heard anyone mention Planet Wayside. I've heard nothing but good things, and it's next on my list of places to try. Have to set aside the time to get out to Leesburg, though:

http://www.tackytreasures.com/tackyhtml/places-wayside.html

Talk about a shack. But that's what I think of when I think "good BBQ."

And back to Rocklands, it has its strengths and its weeknesses. The sides are hit or miss, with the exception of the macaroni and cheese and texas corn pudding, which are always outstanding. The brisket is the bomb. Sometimes I've had average ribs there which can be a little chewy, but more often than not the meat melts like butter in your mouth. What I usually like to do is split a chopped pork sandwich and a belly buster with someone else -- that way you pretty much get to sample every meat except the lamb and fish of the day: pork, brisket, sausage, ribs and chicken. And the wall of sauce is something no bbq joint should be without. (For the record, I'm basing all my opinions on the original on Wisconsin Ave.)

I ran across a place in Southern Maryland this past weekend that was a pleasant surprise. Piggy Wiggy Barbecue is located on MD rt 4 in the town of Dunkirk on the right as you pass the somewhat seedy shopping strip on the right, about two-thirds of the way to the end as you're heading south. It's really easy to miss.

The actual address is 10092 Southern Maryland Blvd. I didn't see a number on the building, though.

We had the pulled pork barbecue and the NC BBQ. Both are excellent. They're tender with a smoky fragrance and smoky taste that demonstrates that their claim of smoking their meat for 12 hours is true. They also sell beef brisket and some other items that I ignored.

ambiance is just right. The restaurant was clearly used for some other purpose, the furnishings are clearly salvaged. The staff is related to the owner. There are random unrelated posters on the wall.

It's worth at least a short trip.

WR

• 3 weeks later...

Again, sorry to ressurect an old thread, but as a Texan (lived in Houston for 8 years), I LOVE BBQ and due to my attempts at a good rib, I've tried many places in this year.

Btw, a caveat. My belief of ribs is that a great rib does not need BBQ sauce. The flavor should already be there. BBQ sauce is just to cover up a badly cooked rib. Also, the meat shouldn't be falling off the bone. You should have to bite it off the bone, but it shouldn't be chewy. I know this different from like Memphis style or Kansas City style, but that's the way I like it.

Willards - The ribs are decent, though unremarkable. I haven't tried in a while so I'll update it when I go tomorrow :)

This place in centreville, near the Giant (forgot the name) - The ribs there are somewhat flavorful, but many times dry and overcooked.

Dixie Bones - This comes as close to Texas ribs as I have seen. They are really good. The pulled pork isn't so good though, but my absolute favorite is the fried catfish...mmmmmmmmmmmm...catfish....

Red, Hot, and Blue - Tried their dried ribs and was not impressed at all. Some parts of the ribs were still dry with rub. It was a bit too tender (falling of the bones).

Famous Dave's - The ribs here are excellent. I really need to go there more.

Again, sorry to ressurect an old thread

There are no old threads around here, just topics that need to be brought up again. Just wait until you resurrect a thread from 2002 before you apologize.

Bill Russell

Went to Famous Dave's in Oakton over the weekend. I must say, it's DANG DELICIOUS! I had the Georgia Chopped Pork Sandwich, and my wife had the rib platter. The meat was moist, tender, and juicy, and was served so fast it was still hot from the smoker! The Devil's Spit BBQ sauce is excellent, very bold and tangy with just enough heat to make you come back for more. I think Famous Dave's and Rockland's ties for the best in the area (from what I've tried). I tend to favor Rocklands of Wisconsin Ave only because I like the ambience better.

• 2 weeks later...
Nancy Lewis' Washington Post article here. C'mon, Nancy, give credit where its due... :hmmm:

Ya know, that's the first thing I thought of when I opened my paper this morning.

:hmmm:

I'll have to compare the lists and descriptions.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

There is a similar thread on Chowhound claiming that they are obviously the source of inspiration for this article as well as many others in the Post.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

• 1 month later...

I tried Urban BBQ yesterday and was pretty happy with it. I agree with someone upthread who said it could use a little more smoke, but the pulled pork was very good and flavorful (tasting of pork, rather than smoke). The sides worked, although were a little under-seasoned.

The ribs looked damn good, but didn't get them this time.

I liked it and will be back when I'm up that way.

BTW - they were packed at 1 on a Saturday.

Bill Russell