• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best BBQ in the DC Metro Area

fischwlu

Where do you think has the best BBQ in the DC metro area? I know that can mean many different things depending on where you come from originally. I like Capital Q but hate the atmosphere of Old Glory. I want to try the barbeque by my fellow W&L alumn at Rocklands... is his Alexandria location open for business yet?

what would you recommend at Rocklands? and is the place off Duke Street in Alexandria open yet?

Shudder... I do not like Red Hot and Blue. I got take out from the place in Arlington and was NOT impressed.

Oh, give it another try! There are many locations. The RH&B branch in Fairfax is always quite tasty.

Rocklands off Duke Street was scheduled to open awhile ago. I'd recommend essentially anything there. You can't go wrong. However, be forwarned: one of the branches is also a meatmarket nightclub.

Shudder... I do not like Red Hot and Blue. I got take out from the place in Arlington and was NOT impressed.

I have had terrible Q from the location near Rosslyn, but have avtaully had some good meals at the one in Leesburg.

This is a reminder that I need to try more BBQ around here.

Not that I would walk more than halfway around the arena for it, but I had a pulled pork sandwich last night at the Caps game from a place on the club level. Not great but better than the ubiquitous cold hot dog. And the "homemade" chips were actually pretty good.

Bill Russell

Hard to go wrong with Rocklands -- great ribs and a good selection of sides. Get the corn pudding.

I'd probably give the nod to Capital Q, though. Might be proximity -- I work near Metro Center so I get Cap Q a lot more often than Rocklands -- but I think it's just that I like their brisket better than anything I get at Rocklands.

Either one of them smokes Red Hot & Blue -- the Wilson Blvd location is at best mediocre.

Sadly, even Rocklands and Cap Q, in my opinion, pale in comparison to most of the out-of-the-way BBQ shacks down in the Carolinas. Always an adventure seeking out and trying a new one when I'm down there, which is not often enough.

Rocklands is delicious! I'd also recommend Red Hot and Blue, actually. I know it's a chain, but it's tasty.

I live right above rocklands and must say I am not a big fan. Boulevard Woodgrill has really good ribs, but besides that I haven't had much success with BBQ here

There is a place out Rt. 301 past Waldorf that has piles of hickory logs outside and great ordor when you drive by. It's been there for years but I have never stopped in. Perhaps we should organize a thorough survey of the BBQ joints in the DC environs (environs defined to include those places within reasonable driving distance).

Whatever happened to Hogs on the Hill?

Kenny's, which took over the 8th st. location sucks!!!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

The best BBQ I've had in DC are the pork ribs from the Rib Pit (3903 14th Street). This place is strictly a carryout and the term "dive" doesn't do it justice.

Just so you are forewarned, I'm talking about decades of smokey grime and bullet proof glass. But I really do like a slab of their pork ribs--and so do a lot of other people, because I always see lots of cars with MD plates doubleparked in front. And the sides are pretty good soul food classics as well. They also have fried fish and sweat potato pie.

Speaking of Hogs on the Hill, does anyone know if there are any plans for the old Hogs on the Hill at 14th and U? I've seen people fixing this place up several different times over the years, without it ever reopening. It seems to be one of DC's cursed locations.

There is a place out Rt. 301 past Waldorf that has piles of hickory logs outside and great ordor when you drive by.  It's been there for years but I have never stopped in.  Perhaps we should organize a thorough survey of the BBQ joints in the DC environs (environs defined to include those places within reasonable driving distance).

The place I think you're talking about is Johnny Boy's Ribs, on Rt 301 just south of the Rt 6 crossroads at La Plata. It used to be great. Results lately have been very uneven from what I hear. The old man retired (died?) and his niece took over. Since then, all the wood ovens have been replaced by gas ovens. The last time I was by there about three months ago, I owned more hickory than they did. It might be worth a trip, but prepare yourself for the possibility of being disappointed. I'd sure love to hear a report from anybody that makes it down that way.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Generally, Charles County has the best bbq in the greater D. C. and Baltimore areas since open air pits are allowed. There are at least 15 of these with Johnny Boy's the most famous. Still, there are others, some of which compete with the best of Alabama, Tenneesee and Missouri.

Generally, Charles County has the best bbq in the greater D. C. and Baltimore areas since open air pits are allowed. There are at least 15 of these with Johnny Boy's the most famous. Still, there are others, some of which compete with the best of Alabama, Tenneesee and Missouri.

We need a map.

\

The place I think you're talking about is Johnny Boy's Ribs, on Rt 301 just south of the Rt 6 crossroads at La Plata. It used to be great.

I tried this place during the past summer and was sadly disappointed--the q was dry as a bone and barely chewable. The chicken was good tho.

I haven't had the ribs at Red Hot and Blue since I was in college, but I thought it was good then--although at that time (i.e. around 1996-7), I also thought the q at Old Glory was tops! :laugh:

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Capital Q is probably up on Rocklands just on the beef brisket alone..... the brisket is so good, i rarely get anything else there. though i do like the sides at rocklands - and their buffalo wings are the closest thing i've had in this area to western NY's.

Out in Anne Arundel County, Adam's Ribs is pretty tasty - a few locations, Annapolis, Severna Park, Edgewater - wet ribs with an onion loaf.... yummy.

Red Hot & Blue, not very good at all. I keep giving them another chance to my further disappointment. Memphis BBQ (nobody mentioned, because its not worth mentioning) I mention for mentioning sake. Also not very good. Rocklands is ok, but the taste really just strikes me as oven baked food, thrown on a grill for the grill marks to be slathered with sauce.

Of the places I've tried, not much good bbq in the DC area. But here are some decent ones: Boss Hogs in McLean makes good brisket and ribs. BBQ Country is acceptable.

I think you have to get out of town to the roadside pits. Like Docs on Rt 50 In aldie, VA or "Chef Fred" who sets up a pit on Rt 211 10 miles outside of Warrenton from spring until fall.

I've got to try Hogs breath and the Rib Pit. Bet there are some good places up in NE DC if you knew where to look.