• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

VDay dinner

Swankalicious

Hello all,

I want to go out to dinner on Valentine's Day (maybe that's a mistake) with my boyfriend. However, we don't want to go someplace gimmicky with $60 per person menus. Just someplace cozy and interesting, not too pricy. Also, we might be in the Baltimore area that day. Any suggestions?

I don't know Baltimore but having been in the restaurant industry, I'll tell you: It is a mistake!

Even the coziest, hidden, little restaurants raise their prices on THIS ONE DAY. Sad, but true...

Last week, Melkor, Ms. Melkor, Shawn and I dined at one of the Patina Restaurants here in Napa, Pinot Blanc. It was pretty good and we had a $28.00 prix fixe meal. I looked online to see what they were serving for VDay and sure enough -- it is the same menu we were choosing from! But instead of it being $28 prix fixe, it is $65!

Shawn and I have typically gone out for VDay, but we go out the day before or the day after -- when the prices are significantly lower. This year, we'll be cooking at home that evening.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Shawn and I have typically gone out for VDay, but we go out the day before or the day after -- whent he prices are significantly lower. This year, we'll be cooking at home that evening.

I'll go one step further than Carolyn with the abbreviation of this "holiday".

I dread VD. I'm not taking anyone on a date on the 14th because of VD. To me VD is embarrasing. You take someone to some swanky joint for dinner on that date, get served mediocre (at best) food, and pay through the nose because maybe they throw in a "free" glass of champagne-- all because of VD.

This year, I'll be cooking at home too. Or at some lucky lady's place. No needless VD suffering this year! :hmmm:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Not to mention that getting a reservation is a nightmare!!!! :wacko:

It might be too late...

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Shawn and I have typically gone out for VDay, but we go out the day before or the day after -- whent he prices are significantly lower. This year, we'll be cooking at home that evening.

I dread VD. I'm not taking anyone on a date on the 14th because of VD....

This year, I'll be cooking at home too. Or at some lucky lady's place. No needless VD suffering this year! :hmmm:

Uh...Al...after looking at some of your preparations, I'm prepared to offer an opening at Chez Wilson :laugh:. Tell me what you want on hand, and I'll make sure it's here by the time you arrive on VD. We already have the wine, and also some pretty good Champagne left over from the New Year's Eve party. We're not picky eaters, and if it's as good as I'm sure it will be if you prepare it, you'll get a kiss from my lovely wife :raz:.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

i'd say go out on monday night instead. You may luck into a great night out, but usually these "big nights" limit a rests. ability. They are going to be slinging food for dueces who will not likely be back. The service and food will almost certainly be of a different caliber than usual.

just my 02

oh yeah - it will also be tres difficult to get a res. at this point

Not to mention that getting a reservation is a nightmare!!!! :wacko:

It might be too late...

Where I work, Valentine's Day has been booked solid since early last December because it is a Saturday night. That said, because of the way we book reservations, it is just like a normal night. Of course some of the clientele will be new, but everyone gets taken care of the same way. In good places, yes, it is too late.

Mark

We're not picky eaters, and if it's as good as I'm sure it will be if you prepare it, you'll get a kiss from my lovely wife :raz:.

Thanks, but I'm not into the kinky stuff :blink::wink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Best v day's ever are always at home. any real man knows that!

Every MAN knows it, but a lot of women liked to be wined and dined beforehand...

I'm not one of them, BTW, I'm just commenting on society in general!

Four of us would like to go out to dinner -- non-romance thing -- that night. Anyone know if the usual non-reservation places are maintaining that policy? I'm thinking Zaytinya etc.

Edited by 8Track (log)

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Friends of ours managed to get us into Charlie Palmers. Will update you on the service situation next week.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

An excerpt from today's Wall Street Journal:

-------------------------------------------------------

Sex Is on the Menu This Valentine's Day --- Normally Staid Restaurants Dish Out Some Spicy Offerings; Adult Pudding for Two

By Katy McLaughlin and Lauren Lipton

Firefly in Washington, D.C., will host a four-course "feed each other" dinner during which patrons, shelling out $125 a couple, are instructed to spoon dishes like "Adult Chocolate Pudding" into each others' mouths.

Many of these restaurants tend to be pretty staid outfits the rest of the year. "I'm a very conservative type," says Firefly chef John Wabeck, who usually serves straightforward American food like roast Amish chicken.

Methinks John would rather focus on the cooking of food rather than its marketing...

:wink:

John would rather focus on an adult beverage.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I'm going to alternate between the two for best results.

In your case Gary it was a close friend of mine the Gran Duque d'Alba, smiter of many and is also a damn fine beverage.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love