• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lake como advice

goofy md

I am going to spend two days in piedmont and two days somewhere on lake como in July. I have found many threads on where to eat and sleep in piedmont (especilly for barolo tasting), but I coultn't find any on Lake como? any advise on where to stay for a night or two and where to eat?

by the way, as a newbie, let me express what a great site this is. It has been very helpfull in planning my first ( of many?) trip to Italy. :smile:

If money is an object (as it usually is for me) I will recommend Hotel Silvio in Bellagio. Only a few rooms and walking distance (a good walk, however) from the pier. Mostly known for its restaurant, a favorite of locals. The proprietor brings in his nets every day to supply the evening meal. It has a relatively seductive website.

I've herard Villa d'Este is wonderful - but the room are on the smallish side? anyway I'd stay there if I could but that's alittle more than I wanted to spend. I'm O.K with around $300-400 US dollars.

looking for a room overlooking the lake, hopfully with a town near by to walk aroung. Hotel silvo's web site looks good.

Across Lake Como from Villa d'Este/Cernobbia there is Bellagio.

Villa Serbelloni there is quite nice.

We have stayed at Villa D'Este and did not find the rooms small.

You feel as though you are living in a palace. Service is very

attentive and cuisine is hotel-good.

Right looking over the lake in town on the square is Hotel Metrople. Very reasonable when I went several years ago. Brass beds, beautiful views, marble bathrooms. Then it was about 130/night(US). Nice people, good restaurant.

Villa d'Este on Lake Como is beautiful but very expensive.

My husband and I stayed once at the Villa d'Este. We had reservations which we made directly with the hotel. When we arrived - we were told we could not be accommodated for dinner. In my opinion: 1) the restaurant should have told us when we made room reservations that we needed dinner reservations if we planned to dine there; or 2) there should have been enough dinner seating for hotel guests.

By the way - the hotel is expensive - I didn't think the rooms were that great - and - when we did eat at the hotel - it was nothing special (compared to many other wonderful restaurants we dined at in Italy). Robyn

According to the one post the daily room rate works out to be $562/night! I am spending less that that for 8 nights in Florence.

My favorite lake is Orta,very quaint low key.and WAY less expensive! But to each his own. RR

these suggestions are some of the same places I've been thinking about. I thought Villa Serbelloni lookes nice but wasn't sure about the price.

Tanabutler- Grand Hotel Tremezzo is one of the places on the top of my list based on the web site, looks very nice for a reasonable price. you post is interesting,

Edited by goofy md (log)

I haven't been to Lake Como. The "favorite website of all time" refers specifically to the ItalyBy.com website (and all its affiliates, via WorldBy.com). The design is beautiful, and the photo galleries are inspirational. They really supply you with all the information you need to make an informed choice about accommodations. I commend the design and the thoughtful navigation. No hotel brokers in the world can compare, in my opinion. They should all just quit and leave the internet my favorites, don't you think?

:wink:

By the way, my other favorite Italian resource online is Parker Villas: order their free, gorrrrrgeous, huge catalog. The website doesn't do justice to the publication. I'm ordering my new one this morning. Hopefully I will get back to Italy this year: I'm only 600 frequent flyer miles from a free ticket to Europe.

Villa Serbelloni has a spectacular lakeside location, a great swimming pool, and a very romantic terrace restaurant with quite good food. The views are incomparable and Belaggio is the nicest location on Lago di Como in my opinion. If one is willing to do without a lake view room, the costs are quite a bit lower than the Villa d'Este. I've stayed at the Villa Serbelloni twice in the past four years and it was great. About six years ago I stayed in a much much less expensive hotel in Bellagio, the Belvedere. This hotel is not lakeside, but it does have a nice view of the lake from its hillside site. The pool is very nice and the food was really excellent.

I can't help on hotels because I actually live on Lake Como (in Lecco, on the non-touristy side), but I do eat a lot. ; ) A few favorites, on the lake and elsewhere, are listed on http://www.straughan.com/italy/restaurants.htm

Deirdre - how is Lecco? I have not been and it would seem to be in a lovely area.

According to the one post the daily room rate works out to be $562/night! I am spending less that that for 8 nights in Florence.

My favorite lake is Orta,very quaint low key.and WAY less expensive! But to each his own. RR

Orta is lovely - just an hour from our house so we go several times a year. Here is a link to the photos we took a few weeks ago.

One thing about Orta is that is is very small and very quiet. You can see it all in a very short period and then if you want quiet it is great. The city of Como has a great (but expensive) shopping area and more action than Orta and the views are fantantic. Also Bellagio is so close. However, Como is famous and you pay for that fame.

Around Lake Como I stay at home - I only live 45 minutes away.

Just outside the center (you can walk if you like long walks it is just over a mile) is Crotto del Sergente which has good local food. Near Bellagio (San Giovanni) is another good place called Mella.

For us Como is usually just a gita after lunch and more of a walk destination than eating destination. The Turkish sandwiches (similar to gyros) from the carry-out Turkish place just past the train station on the lake front are very tasty with a cold beer though.

I can't help on hotels because I actually live on Lake Como (in Lecco, on the non-touristy side), but I do eat a lot. ; ) A few favorites, on the lake and elsewhere, are listed on http://www.straughan.com/italy/restaurants.htm

Deirdre - how is Lecco? I have not been and it would seem to be in a lovely area.

Lecco is indeed lovely. It has the reputation of being more "industrial" than the Como/Menaggio shore, and I suppose it is, but it seems to have gentrified quite a lot before we moved here last June. There's a nice little downtown area and a lungolago to walk along. And it's right under some real mountains (e.g., Resegone), so I look out my windows and see peaks all around. We don't have a lake view on the 4th floor, but the lake is only 3 blocks away.

Another good restaurant not yet mentioned on my site is L'Azzeccagarbugli (named after the shady lawyer character in "I Promissi Sposi", right downtown in Piazza XXII Settembre, with great food, especially steaks, and huge portions (by Italian standards) - I can't get through both primo and secondo, and I'm not known as a shy eater!

best regards,

Deirdré Straughan

http://www.straughan.com

My vote is Bellagio, and the Villa Serbelonni. The hotel has a magnificent location with great views. It is also a good spot to visit other areas, because you are at a point in the middle of the lake, equal distance to either side. ALthough they have a nice restaurant, the town is charming, several blocks of cobblestone streets with cute shops and great food. We also stayed in Tremezzo, had a great view, but if you go to walk anywhere you will get run over. I have a great place to eat in Bellagio, if you go there, email me and I will dig out the name.

ciao...ed

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey