• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tuile

tedwin

I'm stumped on the best way to make a hole in my tuile cookies. Currently, I use a template to spread the tuile batter onto a SILPAT. A hole in the finished cookie would require a void within the batter as it is applied to the SILPAT. Since batter surrounds the hole, I don't see how it can be a part of the template.

Here's an example. I'd like to make a mask from tuile for Mardi Gras. How do I apply the tuile batter to the SILPAT in order to leave the eye-holes open?

i2715.jpg

Tedwin,

Spread your tuile batter over the template that you have cut out ( a mask in this case )

Bake your tuiles about 2/3 rds of the way. Take out of the oven and cut out your holes for the eyes with a cookie cutter or some other thing that will cut the tuile batter. Hoefully the tuile will be baked enough to remove a small portion. Return to the oven to bake until desired color is reached.

HTH

Jason

Set a thin cardboard or plastic shaped piece on the silpat in your mask before you spread tuile. Hold it in place with you fingers while you spread around it. Then pick up, it will have left your space blank with the shape of your insert.

It takes a little more time, but that all.

I see Jason posted at the same time as I did. You can do it either way.

Edited by Sinclair (log)

I thought of something I wanted to mention....

If your looking to do something pretty cool with that mask I suggest you try using Hippen Masse instead of or in tests along side with your tuile recipe. I've used the recipe at http://www.pastrychef.com/htmlpages/recipe...ppen_masse.html with success. I use that recipe on parchment paper that I've sprayed lightly with pan spray then lightly dusted with flour. I found baking them on silpats is harder to peel off then parchement.

The reason I suggest this is....you can get amazing color and detail with it, more then tuile dough in my experience. The hippen bakes lighter in color, it holds an exact shape and it takes color well (it's also lighter in weight then tuiles). You can shape it/flex it exactly as a tuile as soon as it's out of the oven. You'll have to play with the thickness you want depending upon the size of your masks.

A slight word of warning, design-wise. If the mask you posted is the shape/design you are wanting to duplicate, consider a slight redrawing to strengthen the area between the eye-holes and bridge of the nose.

That center area is awfully thin with not a lot of tuille dough to support the outlining structure -- you could end up with a ton of half-masks and broken cookies.