• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad Ass Coffee

chado

Recently a Bad Ass Coffee opened up in Jacksonville. I checked out their website and it says they only use 100% Kona! Being a Kona fan I was thrilled. So, has anyone tried BAC, and what did you think? Thanks for any input.

Chad

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed the general Bad Ass experience in Park City around 5 years ago. If I remember correctly, they knew how to make decent lattes and cafes au lait, and would let you hang out comforably and hassle-free. I'm not sure I'd rave about it, but I have a generally positive recollection. That said, I certainly have enjoyed better Kona-specific experiences, most notably bringing coffee home from Hawaii that had been given to me by a higher-up at one of the Koan growers associations. The rich, chocolately flavor was incredible.

Knowledge is good.

Well, I had a chance to try BAC a couple weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised. It was a great cup of coffee and it had that smooth Kona taste to it! I will definitely stop by there again. It is also nice to have 100% Kona at my fingertips! :biggrin:

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)

KONA  :wub:

The 100% Kona I brought back from Hawaii is STILL in my memory. Fabulous.

There is an (a?) Hawaiian coffee cart in the market - towards the sound from the flying fish guys and Rachael the brass pig. Or there was last month. Oh, that's Pike Place Market, Seattle.

Edited by tsquare (log)

Good Kona is not easy to find - so many places here in the Northeast have "Kona blend" - a dubious proposition at best as one has no idea what percentage is really Kona. One of my roasting friends buys his green beans direct from

Purple Mountain

and swears by them. I have to wait until my roaster is set up again to try it. I have roasted Kaui estate coffee and it was good but didn't blow me away. It's intriguing to me that the coffee could conceivably be so much better on a different island in the same general area (not knocking the Kaui beans but general consensus seems to be that Kona is much better).