• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food for recovery

BBhasin

Having had a root canal I have been on a diet of soft and 'milder' stuff.

A steady diet of kichdree ( a rice n lentil gruel, for those who don't know) and thin sooji halwa.

Which got me thinking that there must be so many regional variations for people convalancing that could make recovery a tad more enjoyable.

I have a couple of days to go so lets have your favorite ' recovery foods'.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

my mother was big on tapioca pudding. and gatorade. and sudafed.

doesn't matter what was wrong with you - this would be what my mother would stock and advise.

kind of like the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and his windex.

sorry i'm not much help. :)

Having had a root canal I have been on a diet of soft and 'milder' stuff.

A steady diet of kichdree ( a rice n lentil gruel, for those who don't know) and thin sooji halwa.

Which got me thinking that there must be so many regional variations for people convalancing that could make recovery a tad more enjoyable.

I have a couple of days to go so lets have your favorite ' recovery foods'.

Some variations that I have tried (or have been forced to try...)

- Besan ka halwa (Love this one...)

- Sooji Upma

- Custard (When I was not diabetic)

- Sabudana kheer

- Instant Oatmeal

Another frind of mine really loves baby food (pureed fruits, veggies, cereals etc.)during such times. So you can be a Gerber Adult if you want.

Enjoy!!

On the subject of Feni. When I was in college if anyone went to goa we always wanted a bottle of feni. It cost just three bucks ( about 50 cents then) had a great kick and stank like hell but if you coupled it with some dum it took you way beyond!

A friend from Goa sent me a bottle recently, now this is totally different, doesnt have much of a smell and is actually very pleasant and smooth. Very different to the stuff we were used to growing up.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia