• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Pasta

SobaAddict70

Celeste, great pasta -- some homemade, some imported from Artisinal producers. $9-11 each.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

I always sound like a broken record on this subject...but...

Roberto's, Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

:smile:

Jamie

Had ravioil stuffed with smoked filet mignon and ricotta when I was last there. Unbelievably good. The ravioli tasted like it was made just minutes before. Spoke with the chef about it and he said the most difficult part is getting the meat into the ravioli before the cooks eat it. :smile:

The spaghetti with lobster dish at Esca is great. The lobster may be a bit small for what they charge but it adds a great taste to the dish.

Edited by sammy (log)

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

It's a little bit difficult for me to separate best pasta from best pasta sauce.

The best artisinal dry pastas are, of course, available to all of us, and cooking them well is simply a matter of experience and good taste. By and large, I think the best dry pasta dishes are simple and to the point (Esca's spaghetti with clams, for example). I can't say that I have ever had a dry pasta dish in any restaurant anywhere that I couldn't (and haven't) execute just as well, if not better in my own home. I still have yet to eat bucatini all'amatriciana that compares with the one I make.

More complex fresh pasta dishes, and especially stuffed pasta dishes are another story. Of all the NYC places I've eaten, Babbo consistently succeeds in coming up with combinations I would not have imagined and a quality of fresh pasta that surpasses my own abilities. Lupa also makes some great fresh pasta dishes (tagliatelli with cultured butter from Tuscana and nothing else is amazing).

--

• 1 year later...

In addition to the previously mentioned Babbo, Lupa and Celeste, I like Basso Est on Orchard Street (between Houston and Stanton).

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I love the texture of the dried and fresh pasta I've had at Celeste; the latter is almost rough. Plus, they have almost always cooked it until ideally al dente. My favorite dry pasta dish they serve is the paccheri with tomato sauce and ricotta; the best fresh pasta dish is tagliatelle with pecorino, shrimp, and cabbage. Besides from the accompaniments, which are delicious, the pasta is exceptional in both cases.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Celeste is an amazing place.. It prooves how good it is in situations like last night.. I was with a four year old, she ordered a simple dish of rigatoni with MOZZ and tomato sauce; perfection! Gorgeous al dente pasta, a sauce of fresh tomato teaming with basil leaves and mozz. Most other places would completely overlook this dish, or rush it through knowing it was for a little girl.. It is emblematic of the simplistic beauty behind Italian Cooking and Celeste.

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 7 months later...

I would wholeheartedly agree with L'Impero. I think Scott Conant's pasta dishes are his best. I am going to have to ask about the pasta tasting.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 3 weeks later...

To be clear, I wasn't saying they have great pasta (I've never been), just clearing up the name of the restaurant for posterity's sake.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!