• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aussie choccie

I thought I'd start a new thread, as the long Australian Posters thread is, well, long... and I want to focus on CHOCOLATE.

Jango mentioned two new purveyors of chocolate in Melbourne, and I am curious about this new trend... is it happening elsewhere? With the demise of well-stocked chocolate sellers in Melbourne in the last 15-20 years, we've only really had the fancy sections of certain department stores, plus the IMHO awful Chocolate Box chain, and Haigh's. A more recent addition has been Max Brenner.

Small exceptions here and there, sure, but suddenly there is Cacao in St Kilda, doing a decent job of patisserie and pralines and hot chocolate, and Koko Black in the Royal Arcade, with very nice interiors and general 'image', but Jango has already expressed some reservations here. Their hot chocolate had a lovely rich chocolate flavour, but the mouthfeel was too thin, I thought.

What's going on elsewhere in Oz?

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

As far as I know in South Australia it's really only Haigh's which is a SA company - man I love taking the tour of their factory. Can anyone say FREE tastings :biggrin: Oh and I forgot there's also Darrell Lea :shock::shock: BUT I ain't even going there!!!!

I want food and I want it now

I don't think there is too much happening in Sydney in terms of new openings. Max Brenner continues to grow in popularity-even my Pilates instructor is taking about the drinking chocolates at Max Brenner. One place I have walked past which looks fairly exciting is Belle Fleur in Rozelle. Apparently lime and cointreau is their signature chocolate.

If I can just mention cakes - I sampled some from the new Yellow Bistro and Foodstore in Potts Point on the weekend - they were very special. I am not really a sweet tooth but I can't wait to get back there to try some more.

Edited by Fi Fi La More (log)

Max Brenner is great! Love the lovely chocolate shakes.

While not exactly Sydney chocolate, we're starting to see in Sydney more of the Green & Black fair trade organic chocolate, which has pretty high cacoa ratings - there is one in particular which I love - the maya gold blend, which is dark, with orange and spices (mostly cinnamon) - is this turning up in other Aussie cities? I also was given the Green & Black chocolate cookbook for Christmas, and there is not a page in it that did not inspire a drool response...

cheers

Maliaty

I've seen the Green & Black in Melbourne recently, but where, I can't remember.:wacko: The Maya Gold is very nice indeed -- it was one of the earliest flavours they produced.

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

The Green and Black Fairtrade chocolate sounds like one to hunt down. I've not seen it yet.

Has anyone eaten or cooked with Kennedy & Wilson chocolate? This is the only one made in Australia (so I believe) from scratch with imported beans. It's really very good but I've only used the very bittersweet so far. It's a small family owned company based in Gruyere , Victoria.

I'm not so keen on Darrel Lea's or Haigh's. Wrong - I'm being polite. I don't like DL's at all and it's been a while since I've eaten Haigh's.

My favourite to use in most chocolate work is a Michel Cluizel bitter which is readily available in Melbourne. Now we're talking food of the gods.

I don't find prices at all high. When I moved here last year I staggered through Aussie Customs bringing 22 lbs of chocolate from the USA because everyone told me the price was so high, only to find it less expensive here.

What's going on elsewhere in Oz?

If anyone is interested in furthering their chocolate education, Stephane Glacier, MOF, is returning to Melbourne to give more chocolate and patisserie classes. He'll be teaching at the Savour Chocolate and Patisserie School in Brunswick.

I went last year and it was a pretty astonishing and humbling experience to see such a master at work.

Has anyone eaten or cooked with Kennedy & Wilson chocolate?  This is the only one made in Australia (so I believe) from scratch with imported beans.

Haigh's also starts from the bean instead of extracts

http://www.haighs.com.au/dir29/ws.nsf/Publish/127

PS I was joking about Darrell Lea :sad:

Edited by StInGeR (log)

I want food and I want it now

• 7 months later...

Try Simon Johnson; there are shops in Woolahra, Pyrmont and Castlecrag. They have Valrohna, Amedi and a few others. David Jones fooshall in the city has some too.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

DJ's sell the Michel Cluizel range of chocolates from Rue St Honore, Paris. Fucking good stuf.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

• 3 years later...

Hello everybody... I am looking for somewhere to get the bonboniere for our wedding in April. We both love chocolate and it seems romantic, so we figured it would be a good and easy choice.

I plan to check out Haighs on George St, as I have been gifted with a few boxes over the last few years. http://www.bellefleur.com.au/ looks positive too, but I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions to offer??

TIA

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone eaten or cooked with Kennedy & Wilson chocolate?  This is the only one made in Australia (so I believe) from scratch with imported beans. 

I thought K&W made chocolate from imported cocoa liquor not beans? Also, I think Haighs and Tava make chocolate from the bean - I think they are the only Australian companies to do so.

There is a nice little place in Rose Bay that has what you are looking for, I'll find out the name and come back to you.

I think the place you are referring to is Photios on the left hand side of New South Head Road if you are pointing towards Watto Bay....they have been there for yonks (I used to babysit for the family in the late 60's!)....killer chocs etc

what about the chocolatiere who supplies Qantas first class in Paddington? (off Oxford St) name escapes me, sorry

Edited by insomniac (log)

what about the chocolatiere who supplies Qantas first class in Paddington? (off Oxford St)  name escapes me, sorry

I think that's "Just William" or something similar. In all honesty, I haven't been thrilled by the chocs I've bought there personally on occasion.

• 2 weeks later...