• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blais: 17 course degustation, $49, in Atlanta ?

Marrow Margin

Chef Blais, first of all, welcome to eGullet. We look forward to hearing from you now and then.

We'd love to hear how the restaurant has changed in the small amount of time since you opened. Every restaurant goes through that difficult initial learning curve, but it seems that you took on a far greater challenge than normal -- and succeeded at that!

Note: I merged the thread inventolux started to ensure that Blais discussions are on this one thread.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I just made reservations via opentable for Monday, May 17th, for me and my best friend from CA -- who I convinced to stay in town until Tuesday just so we could do the 31 course tasting menu. Not that it took much convincing, mind you.

I'm literally shaking in excitment!!! :wub::laugh:

"I like butter and the people who like butter." -TA

Varmint,

Thank you for the welcome.

The restaurant has changed since the opening. For one, we obviously execute on a higher level now.

But most importantly we have stamped out our identity, and are getting comfortable in our own skin. The first official reports on blais were very discouraging as the critics only wanted to compare us to El Bulli.

I think the best quote was , as talented as he is, blais is no Gagnaire or Adria...

I could have told them that without the pages of babble.

Now, it seems people are getting it. Having fun with it, smiling. Thats what it is all about.

I'll be checking in here often. Would love to answer any and all questions concerning anything.

Richard Blais

www.blaiscuisine.com

That does it. I'm sending my sisters there. And I'll be completely jealous when I hear they went.

Gee, Tana, it isn't like you aren't in organic foodie heaven out there in Soquel!! Tis I who envy you!! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Blais review

The up-to-the-minute review of Blais this week by Bill Addison of Creative Loafing Atlanta ...

(please note that it will be gone by next week, this link) :sad:

According to the Creative Loafing review, the price of the tasting menu has gone up to $69! :shock: Yikes. I better get there before it goes up anymore...pretty soon I won't be able to afford it!

morda

Blais review

The up-to-the-minute review of Blais this week by Bill Addison of Creative Loafing Atlanta ...

(please note that it will be gone by next week, this link) :sad:

According to the Creative Loafing review, the price of the tasting menu has gone up to $69! :shock: Yikes. I better get there before it goes up anymore...pretty soon I won't be able to afford it!

morda

But it is so well worth every dollar! It will give you goosebumps in its creativity and laughter at its cleverness in concepts!!

Trust me, $69 isn't even half bad for this great a pleasure! :biggrin:

Since Mr. Blais said we could ask him anything:

boxers or briefs?

sorry, I had to say that :laugh:

But I do have a couple serious questions: I'm not a professional chef (I actually remodel/build restaurants instead) so this may be a stupid question for you. How do you keep your obviously unique ideas away from copycats? Here you are, opened a fabulous environment to allow people to experience something they never have before and have somebody copy it 2,000 miles away?

Second question; what is you're personal take on executive and/or owner chefs slaving over the stoves? I've seen many that tend be in name only (and just oversee the quality) and some that work there day in and day out. Do you see being a chef at your level of expertise more suited to manage and make sure the restaurant stays open, or be a chef that's all about the food and let things fall where they may as to profit?

As tharrison said earlier in this thread, we'll be going to your place on the 17th, I'm excited to not only come see enjoy your food but to support somebody that obviously saw that the business needed a swift kick in the pants :biggrin:

Isaac Bentley

Without the culinary arts, the crudeness of the world would be unbearable. - Kate & Leopold

We're aware that there are reports of Blais closing its doors, which may very well be true. Until you have obtained independent verification from a primary source (i.e., Richard Blais himself), let's not start the rumor mills about this matter.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Whether my sources want to be named publically I am not sure. It's no rumor. They have closed for 100 percent certainty. I confirmed it from a direct source and a reliable second hand source.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

No, but it seems to be true. This thread on Atlanta Cuisine contains some applicable posts. They seem to be "in the know" and confirming that Blais has closed. I'm really upset.

Open letter to Chef Blais: Come stage at Capitol Grille, if even just for a day or two! I don't speak for Chef Sean Brock, but he ate at your restaurant and raved about it, so he'd probably be glad to have ya. Come up and do 31 courses for the Nashville crew, we are ready! I'll bring a few special wines, even. :biggrin:

And assuming it's true, Chef Blais, best of luck in your next endeavor, wherever it may be.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

:huh:

So, what now? I havn't been notified of our reservation has been canceled yet. I feel kinda left out in the cold from a foodie perspective.

Whatever the case, hope Richard moves on to another project quickly, so i can experience his craft.

To Blais: If you want to hang out with some foodies this coming monday evening/night (17th) and drown our sorrows away, lets get together, drinks are on me. isaac@isaacbentley.org

Edited by Painting (log)

Isaac Bentley

Without the culinary arts, the crudeness of the world would be unbearable. - Kate & Leopold

For the record: we've heard directly from Chef Blais that his restaurant has closed. As with many such situations, the causes are complicated, and to a great extent, private.

Rest assured, however, that he is already thinking about his next venture. We will keep you posted.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Although Dave the Cook has given you the most basic information about which everyone was just guessing yesterday, I can not allow this opportunity to pass without sharing some of my own thoughts on this delightful young chef, Richard Blais.

I first met him last fall in the gutted shell of the restaurant he was rebuilding to create what some referred to as a "jewel box" for Atlanta. I was amazed by the entire set up and watched it take shape and become a delight both aesthetically and culinarily. I need not go into the details of this man's delicious and innovative cuisine... it has been done here by others most elegantly.

Richard, I believe, will always take the risks, challenge himself to stretch to the limits, and pull out his very deepest impressions and translate them into physical forms on his plates.

And we here in Atlanta, applaud his energy and enthusiasm for innovative dishes and conceptualizing the food he creates with flair, humor, and yes, elegance!

I, too, look forward to and anticipate more and more of this man's gifts from his kitchen ... it boggles the mind to have to say farewell to his establishment but for him the man, no words can express the pleasure he brought his dining audience!!