• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blais: 17 course degustation, $49, in Atlanta ?

Marrow Margin

I was the only good looking one there with the AtlantaCuisine crowd. :biggrin:

I actually stopped over here to check out your review. You are correct, Blais is sensational. Right after you left, Gifted Gourmet got funky.

Nice meeting you. :wacko:

Edited by CoolPapaBell (log)

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

I was the only good looking one there with the AtlantaCuisine crowd. :biggrin:

I actually stopped over here to check out your review.  You are correct, Blais is sensational.  Right after you left, Gifted Gourmet got funky.

Nice meeting you.  :wacko:

Actually, we here at atlantacuisine are a most photogenic bunch! :biggrin: even with our mouths full of incredible Blais' tasting menu delights ... :cool:

Do I know you, Cool Papa Bell?

and what did you mean by Gifted Gourmet "got funky"?? :rolleyes:

Isn't that my normal state of being?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

John Kessler has weighed in: three stars (out of four).

Like Keller, Blais understands that Moebius strip of surprise and sensuality that turns in our minds when we encounter unique food. He can create those two-bite masterpieces that shift and shimmer, tongue to brain: weird, then rapturously good, and then gone to memory.

and

I enjoy Blais' wit, but I most admire his canny flashes of taste sense. His "vitello tonnato" consisting of raw tuna rolled around a salad of pulled veal makes for a smirky foodie joke. But it's the tug of flavors, the sharpening effect of arugula pesto and orange-rind emulsion on the plate that makes it a dish to remember. Always.

Full review here.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
we need to keep this thread  going..........everyone wants to know what's goin down at Blais.....  please post your reviews.........i have pictures and will post them as soon as i figure how ???

sean

I haven't posted any pictures yet - but here are the instructions I got when I asked how to do it:

"To upload images, go to ImageGullet (top left hand corner of the screen), upload your pictures onto this site & cut and paste the IMG link into your post. If you have trouble, go to site talk - there's a whole discussion or two on it."

Hope this helps, Robyn

This thread does keep going but on another site, Atlanta Cuisine (referenced somewhere in this thread). Lots more reports there.

http://www.atlantacuisine.com/reviews/blais31flavors.html

Tom Maicon's review is new and on his website ..... and it is extremely detailed!!

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

we need to keep this thread going..........everyone wants to know what's goin down at Blais..... please post your reviews.........i have pictures and will post them as soon as i figure how ???

sean

I look forward to that post when you get the picture thing down pat. :cool:

okay, okay, I feel that I must go to this restaurant ASAP. Which is the best night of the week to go? If I get some friends together, they will probably petition for a Fri or Sat, but if its just me and the hubby, perhaps we will try a less busy weeknight. But is Blais in the kitchen every night? Is a Monday better than a Tuesday? And has anyone been been recently enough to confirm that the tasting menu is still $49/person?

morda

I went about a month ago, during the week of their review and was seriously underwhelmed. Most everything is cold, at room temperature or reheated so most of the work was done...whenever. What went on during service was, basically a bit of warming/reheating and lots of plating. Anyone who has worked catering knows exactly what I'm talking about. Sort of like in business or first class on an airplane. Lots of things in little shot glasses. And the place was empty (a Wednesday night).

As per Open Table you could get a Friday night reservation tomorrow at an early 6:30 or a later 8:00, not unreasonable for Atlanta. Saturday offered similar openings.

I don't know for an absolute fact that Blais is in the kitchen every possible minute, but I'd be surprised if he weren't: the food is not exactly autopilot fare, and he's very much on top of every aspect of the operation.

We've been three times for dinner, and it's been great on every occasion. I've not been in over a month, because, well, we have lots of great restaurants in Atlanta and there are only some many evenings a person can eat out.

Monday's a notoriously slow night for dining in Atlanta---I'd probably do Tuesday or Wednesday (probably better from a supply point of view as well). But if you want to do the 31 course meal I believe Monday is the night. You'll have to call the restaurant to check.

As for the price of the tasting menu (which is officially 5-10 courses, but ends up being more) I think it's gone up, but the only way to know for sure is to call (there's a link to the restaurant back in this thread)---depending on what's offered it might change. Very nice staff who will be happy to answer all your questions.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I went about a month ago, during the week of their review and was seriously underwhelmed. Most everything is cold, at room temperature or reheated so most of the work was done...whenever. What went on during service was, basically a bit of warming/reheating and lots of plating. Anyone who has worked catering knows exactly what I'm talking about. Sort of like in business or first class on an airplane. Lots of things in little shot glasses. And the place was empty (a Wednesday night).

I'm sort of surprised at this impression, as it doesn't jibe too well with my numerous experiences there (and I did eat there about the same time, right before the review in the AJC that jbraynolds is describing). I don't work in catering or in any other professional kitchen, but I've always assumed that pretty much all restaurants use as much advance prep as feasible. Some of the dishes are cold, some of the dishes are hot, and some of the dishes are (intentionally) lukewarm.

I've eaten plenty of high-end catered food, and the Blais' work is not even remotely similar. As for comparing it to "business or first class on an airplane" I can only assume that jbraynolds either hasn't flown business or first class anytime within the last, say, 20 years, or that he/she is referring to the really excellent first class service that's offered to, um, well...do they offer first class to the moon now? And even then it wasn't comparable, but did at least use reasonable ingredients.

I'm not surprised that Blais was slow on a Wednesday. He's trying something way out there on the far edge for Atlanta, and lots of people are not going to find it to their liking. Emeril's (which really really sucks by all accounts), on the other hand, is packing them in.

I plan on getting down there ASAP. But in between house hunting and a trip to New Orleans at the end of the month, and a bunch of good wine tastings coming up, it may be a little while. It's only a four hour drive for me, though, so I'll probably make a weekend out of it sometime soon.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

• 2 weeks later...
I plan on getting down there ASAP..... It's only a four hour drive for me, though, so I'll probably make a weekend out of it sometime soon.

I assure you, Blais is worth every single drop of gasoline you will burn to come to Atlanta to experience this phenomenon .. trust me on this ... :biggrin:

I just ate there on Saturday night. Wonderful experience. I'm concerned that even on a Saturday at 8 PM there were a number of empty tables. I can imagine that it would be hard to pull off this restaurant anywhere in Atlanta, but the Buckhead address doesn't seem to be helping. I'm also surprised that many of my foodie friends still haven't heard of it. Don't know why word of mouth hasn't caught on for Blais the way it has for, say, Mitra. The tasting menu was very pork-and-shellfish heavy, but maybe that's just my Jewish guilt talking.

On a different note, I'm leaving Atlanta for DC on Thursday. Thanks to all the Southeastern egulleteers for helping me discover the culinary scene here. I'll be on the DC/DelMarVa boards from here on out.

Agree with your assessment re Buckhead locale---I don't think of Buckhead as a place to go for interesting food. Midtown would have been my pick, giving it the advantage over Buckhead locations as far as convention diners goes, as well as appealing to hard-core in-town diners. Mitra is a good example of a place that serves okay (but not wonderful, and my only meal there was actually sort of crappy) food at pretty high prices, and stays very busy.

I don't get it, but then I don't get a lot of things.

• 2 weeks later...