• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SOS

Mudpuppie

I made a mushroom stock last night that had about half a bottle of red wine. This is standard practice for me and it usually turns out really well.

Disaster struck, though.

Either I simmered it too long or the wine just wasn’t very good. (I’m poor this month. The latter is a possibility.) The resulting stock is unpleasantly sour.

Any suggestions on how to make it a little richer tasting, less sour? I’m afraid that if I dilute it too much and reduce, it won’t taste like anything at all.

Many thanks.

amanda

Googlista

Toss it. I would not add vino to "most" stocks. exceptions being a fish/shellfish fumet. stock and saucemaking are 2 different animals.

In any case i would reduce wine separately by 1/2-2/3s before adding to anything-Unless making a pan sauce where you would deglaze and reduce.

hth, danny

Should have clarified: Didn't actually add wine to the stock. Made the stock, added wine, and reduced to make a large quantity of not-very-thick sauce. This is something I make often and really enjoy. Went wrong somehow this time. I think it was the wine -- like I said, I was maybe a little too frugal.

amanda

Googlista

What have you got to lose?

Before throwing it out, try slowly browning two tablespoons tomato paste with one packed tablespoon dark brown sugar (non-stick pan highly recommended). Add the mixture to the stock, starting with a half-teaspoon per quart. After each addition, let it simmer for five or ten minutes to make sure it's thoroughly blended, then taste to see if it's worth proceeding.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

One thing I used to use in occasions where I oversalted, or over acidified (as in this instance), was to add mirin, japanese sweetened rice wine. It doesn't contribute a great deal of definitive flavor, but a roundness, and sweetness to counterbalance "maladies."

Worth a try.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

I think it was the wine -- like I said, I was maybe a little too frugal.

Maybe, maybe not. The bottle could've simply been a bad bottle of wine regardless of the price. Rachel is right to smell and taste the wine beforehand to make sure the bottle isn't flawed.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I really like all the ideas that have been presented - especially the potato one which I had never heard before.

I'd like to add a few including tamari soy sauce (the thicker, more fermented stuff) and perhaps when sauteeing up the tomatoes, add some of that meat-browning liquid (the name is totally escaping me at the moment -- the one with the yellow label).

The wine was fine in the glass, just not so good in the pot.

In the end, I added tomato paste and some slightly charred onions. Added a few more cups of water, cooked, and it turned out okay. It's still a little sour-ish and weaker than I would have liked, but it worked fine. Stewed some root vegetables in it and they turned out pretty good.

Thanks for all the advice.

amanda

Googlista