• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG Wine Camp: 15 Buck Barolo

Craig Camp

Both of these wines sold for under fifteen bucks and proved the P.T. Barnum theory of sales: "There's a sucker born every minute."

click here for WINE CAMP: 15 BUCK BAROLO

Support your local wine merchants - post your comments here about your favorite local small wine merchants and why you love them.

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet Home Page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

I have to say I was enjoying this article immensely, but nearly fell out of my chair when he quoted Howard Silverman of Howard's Wine Cellar. Being that I live on a few short blocks from Howard's on Belmont, it is my favorite little corner of the wine world. The selection, the knowledge, and the service are all top notch. As a brand new eGullet user, it was refreshing to have an article touch so close to home.

Howard's Wine Cellar is a worthwhile visit for anyone's trip to Chicago!!

Edited by happyhovs (log)

A Wonderful article Craig,

I would bet that the Negroamaro you have tasted is the 2001 Promessa by Mark Shanon and Elvezia Sbalchiero. If not put it on your must try good value list.

The recommended wines in the article are spot on namely the Don Antonio 2000 by Morgante. I was not ready for it when I first tried and what a massive surprise it was. [Apx. 60$ in the holly land and still I would have bought it].

Enjoyed very much.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

There is a great place down the road (here in Jacksonville) called The Wine Warehouse. The owner of the shop does the exact same thing to me everytime I go in. I am not looking for bottles of wine in the hundreds of dollars, but when looking for a $30 bottle of wine or so, he will always steer me in the much cheaper direction and his suggestions are always right on. It is is incredibly refreshing! Plus, he also puts every wine his customers buy in a database, so if I forget what I bought the last time, he can just pull it up!! :biggrin:

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)

William Roach of Putnam Wine Market in Saratoga Springs is so good I can't go in there anymore! I would always come out of there several hundred dollars poorer (but much richer in wine). His recommendations are generlly spot on with good values and hard to find collectibles. I don't have the willpower to resist.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Enjoyed your article very much when I read it yesterday. I also agree very much with you as my experience with bargain priced Barolas has been 100% negative. The ones that have not been too bad generally end up in braises.

Got home last night and there was a flyer in my mail from the local Trader Joes that might be of interest. Among the ads was an offering for...

"Argento Barola - A Noble Red Wine"

As stated in the ad...

"Argento Barola has been called 'The King Of Wines' and 'The Wine Of Kings,' because this splended Piedmontese red is considered one of the world's best red wines. It is made entirely from the Nebbiolo grape, the oldest and most noble red variety in Piedmont."

Sold only at TJ for a grand sum of $10.99.

I didn't intend to buy it. I just thought that the timing of your article and the flyer in my mail was an interesting coincidence.

On the other hand however, I'm doing lamb shanks this weekend and it might make a decent braising liquid.

I didn't intend to buy it. I just thought that the timing of your article and the flyer in my mail was an interesting coincidence.

On the other hand however, I'm doing lamb shanks this weekend and it might make a decent braising liquid.

Buy two bottles of Yellowtail for the same price - better for braising than that terrible Barolo.

(I didn't think you where going to buy it - that was a generic you)

Great article Craig! The Castle Rock Carneros Pinot Noir that is recommended in the article has been a standard glass pour both here at Rouge and formerly at Striped Bass for all eternity. There are only a couple of glass wines that I absolutely can NEVER take off the list here or there'd be a mutiny, and that's one of them. The other is the Schuetz Oles "So Zin" Zinfandel. That's about $14 at retail. Fantastic stuff and consistent from vintage to vintage.

And of course the Chianti Toscolo you recommended so highly is a new favorite as well! :smile:

My latest favorite is a Montlouis Chenin Blanc "Les Tuffeaux" from Francois Chidaine. It's kind of like "Blue-Collar Vouvray", but it's absolutely luscious. My first home run with the staff too :rolleyes: It's the first thing I've picked that EVERYONE likes.

I definitely agree heartily regarding finding the off-the-beaten-path wines (e.g. the Montlouis Chenin). Way better values and often much more interesting wines.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol