• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It seems that a repetitive complaint surrounding restaurants is service and yet it recieves passing mention in newspaper reviews. (You did write that this is one area that the owner can improve when you are recognized)

Is it too qualitative a subject? If not, how do you operationalize it? Would you and your colleagues like to write more?

There are two occasions when I am likely to write at length about service: when it is exceptionally bad and when it is exceptionally good. Otherwise I'm just as likely to make a small comment here or there. I think most people assume if it hasn't been comment upon, it's ok.

I'd like to press the point of service-even as the moment here may have passed.

The server is the conduit from the BOH to FOH. Service-the server-is a necessity, unless the chef is doing the delivery. I think it plays an ultimate part in the success of the 'event'-that being the journey in to and out of a restaurant, during any meal.

Granted, I am envisioning evening, fine dining service, but why should it be any different, and why on earth should it an additive rather than a superlative?

Thanks for your reflection.