• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in Songs & Rhyme

lafcadio

Just read some witty verses by Peter Pindar

"Now chefs devise surrealist dreams

In homage to El Bulli,

It's garlic swirls with crab ice-creams

And squid with ginger coulis."

in regard to Michelin's award of three stars to The Fat Duck in Bray, England. (>www.telegraph.co.uk< 01/18/2004) The site is free but you have to register. The Sunday Telegraph (02/01/2004) had a long piece about the recent awards entitled "Chefs with stars in their eyes fail diners, says Michelin chief" by Elizabeth Day.

One of Hank Williams greatest hits refers to "Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie, File Gumbo". I would love to hear about other songs, poems or prose that celebrate Louisiana food and/or drinks.

Edited by lafcadio (log)

Lache Pa La Patate (Hold on to the hot potato) is a Cajun standard.

As far as music from elsewhere that mentions LA food:

Elvis Presley- Crawfish (Linked to lyrics)

Jimmy Buffett - The Wino and I Know (sings about coffee and donuts at Cafe Du Monde)

Little Feat - Rad Gumbo (Practically a recipe)

I'd have to search for more...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I copied this from a post I made in the GUMBO thread.

Click on the link for some really cool veggie lyrics.

Gonna carve a jack-o-lantern, hang the garlic high,

This crop's been coming for a long, long time.

Flaming red peppers will rain down from the sky,

And your tap water'll turn into okra slime.

Note: I have no idea who Jason Webley is. I found this by googling "okra slime" just to bug our Forum Host. This thread gives me a chance to use it again. Thank you. :biggrin::raz:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Who needs zydeco when you've got this guy! I know what band to get when I get the egullet Crawfish Boil and Okra Fry together. :wink:

As far as songs go, I have always been partial to this one-

Monroe Louisiana is a beer drinking town!- Gatemouth Brown

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...