• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian outlets/stores in California

I've got an Italian friend living in Las Vegas who wants to escape. He's been saving his money for years and years, and the plan was to return to Italy and open a restaurant. Well, thanks to the tanking dollar, that dream has fizzled for the foreseeable future. He's been advised instead to come to California and open an Italian deli/specialty store. I told him I'd ask the smartest food folks in the world to help me gather a list of resources that might assist him in achieving this dream.

First of all, he's got the kind of personality that is completely charming, and people will fall all over themselves to help him. He's the consummate waiter (that's where we met him, at the Venetian). Secondly, he knows his food, he's stylish, and he's very driven to excellence.

I want to compile a list of Italian groceries and delis up and down the coast, and maybe send him some commercial real estate listings, too. He isn't online, so I need to print and snail mail things to him.

Can you post here links to your favorite Italian spots in California? Would you be willing to snail mail me the commercial real estate listings in your coastal community?

I know about A. G. Ferrari in San Francisco. I need stuff like that. Links if you have them, and names/addresses if you don't. Feel free to post, e-mail or PM.

Mille grazie!

Many thanks. We've got to get Vito out here. He's a treasure.

Of course North Beach will be ground zero for his explorations, but he should be sure to hit Molinari deli and Liguria Bakery (for foccacia -- sorry, couldn't find a web page for them directly).

But he should also venture out of North Beach to not only AG Ferrari, but also Lucca Ravioli Company, which, in addition to their excellent ravioli, provides a very well-stocked Italian deli.

I'm waiting for an Angeleno to tell you about the one on Sepulveda, just north of LAX. I can't remember its name but I used to visit it all the time... I used to lament the lack of good Italian imports (heck, the lack of an Italian district in LA!) but this was kinda the only place in town...

Where is your friend considering landing or will that be based on what information is gleened from this discussion?

Carolyn,

You were thinking maybe of Sorrento Italian Market, 5518 Sepulveda, Culver City? It's still there and still terrific. The street it's on is wide, bland and unwelcoming, but inside the store feels like a small, friendly, crowded Italian neighborhood.

Emily

There's also GB Ratto's in downtown Oakland.

There are a couple of good ones in San Diego's Little Italy. I think one of them is called Mona Lisa. Either that or it's next to Mona Lisa.

I also know I've been to others and will try to compile a list. I've been on a five-year hunt for an Italian brand of canned soup that I used to get in Boston but can't find anymore. I've been in every Italian market I've ever passed.

Still can't find that soup. Used to be made by Parmalat. I'm wondering if they've sold it off.

amanda

Googlista

Are you compiling this list so that he may look at successful operations, and try to duplicate them? Or is it as a list of potential suppliers?

Because it wouldn't seem to make sense to use a deli, such as some mentioned in this thread, as a supplier to a deli.

In Santa Barbara, there's a great place called Via Maestro 42, on upper State Street, that is owned by a guy who also happens to be a wholesaler of imported prouducts. So he has two outlets for the products he imports, his own place, and other restaurant clients around town.

Darn Carolyn, Verve beat me to the punch. I love, love, love Sorrento in Culver City. It's owned by Al Vera, the most charming, older gentleman you'd ever want to meet. He immigrated here from Italy a long, long time ago and is the Italian grandfather you would want to have. But don't be fooled into translating his charm into lack of sophistication. He owns agricultural property in the Central Valley where he grows almonds and lots of other stuff, serves on the Culver City Council, and is a shrewd businessman and local politician. I love the guy.

I'd also like to recommend Nicolosi's on Ventura Boulevard as a great Italian bakery. It's on the south side of the street just east of White Oak (not far from a Buca de Beppo -- ugh). Great cannoli and other stuff and they make their own Italian ices.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Where is your friend considering landing or will that be based on what information is gleened from this discussion?

The latter. I wish we could get him here in Santa Cruz, but the Zanotto and Zoccoli families have this place sewn up. I hope he goes for Northern California. It looks so much like Italy around here.

Carolyn,

You were thinking maybe of Sorrento Italian Market, 5518 Sepulveda, Culver City? It's still there and still terrific. The street it's on is wide, bland and unwelcoming, but inside the store feels like a small, friendly, crowded Italian neighborhood.

Yes - thank you! I don't think I EVER knew the name of that place... it was always just "the Italian place on Sepulveda..."

I kinda miss it -- but at least I have great places here in NoCal!

Are you compiling this list so that he may look at successful operations, and try to duplicate them? Or is it as a list of potential suppliers?

Because it wouldn't seem to make sense to use a deli, such as some mentioned in this thread, as a supplier to a deli.

In Santa Barbara, there's a great place called Via Maestro 42, on upper State Street, that is owned by a guy who also happens to be a wholesaler of imported prouducts. So he has two outlets for the products he imports, his own place, and other restaurant clients around town.

I'm just trying to see what's out there.

Hey, whose town is crying out for a good Italian deli/market? I wish I could post a photo of Vito. He's a D-O-Double-Hockeysticks.

Davis Davis Davis Davis Davis Davis Davis Davis Davis.

I don't care about the Italian hunk. I just want the market.

You know, Davis might not be a bad idea. There is all kinds of new money coming in there, isn't there? (I've got a rich lawyer friend who moved from Seattle, and his subdivision is so new it's not even on MapQuest yet.)

Vito can handle the heat. And it's cheaper than the coast, and certainly cheaper than the Bay area. Hmmmm. Definitely something to think about.

Nanuq, I don't think he's interested in doing a coffee shop, but a full-blown deli/grocery.

Hey, Mudpuppie, is it possible for you to snail-mail me the real estate section of the Sacramento paper if I send you an SASE? I would like to look at commercial listings. Also, how long have you lived there?

You are all being very helpful. Thank you so much!

(I can't wait to mail him a potential itinerary!)

Davis Davis Davis Davis Davis Davis Davis Davis Davis.

I don't care about the Italian hunk. I just want the market.

You know, Davis might not be a bad idea. There is all kinds of new money coming in there, isn't there? (I've got a rich lawyer friend who moved from Seattle, and his subdivision is so new it's not even on MapQuest yet.)

Vito can handle the heat. And it's cheaper than the coast, and certainly cheaper than the Bay area. Hmmmm. Definitely something to think about.

Nanuq, I don't think he's interested in doing a coffee shop, but a full-blown deli/grocery.

Hey, Mudpuppie, is it possible for you to snail-mail me the real estate section of the Sacramento paper if I send you an SASE? I would like to look at commercial listings. Also, how long have you lived there?

You are all being very helpful. Thank you so much!

(I can't wait to mail him a potential itinerary!)

Yessssss. I win!

As for Davis, it's got weird contradictions. Personally, I'd love a good Italian market. Would it do well here? Not so sure.

This is probably a better email conversation than discussion board conversation, though. Would be happy to supply ample opinions privately, should you want them.

Handling the heat is definitely a prerequisite. (I'm from Texas. I wouldn't use the italics if I didn't mean it.)

Real estate section is no problem. Is it not online? I don't mind mailing it, but you might be able to print it just as easily.

Feel free to PM for an email address....

amanda

Googlista

I live in Glendale. There's an Italian deli/gourmet shop called "Mario's" up the street from me. It's sort of an oddity...I'm amazed it gets any business at all in this mostly Armenian neighborhood. But I guess people in neighboring towns like Silverlake, Burbank, and Hollywood know about it as a good place to get cheese, olive oil, prosciutto and stuff.

Good luck to yr friend!

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau

Actually there is an Italian district in L.A. it's called Pedro-formally known as San Pedro. Matter of fact i'm heading down that way this weekend to do a little shopping :).

danny

And pronounced PEEdro, as I recall. I don't remember much Italian stuff there, but there was a nice little pupuseria in the downtown.

Gary, Yeah thats the place-born and raised there. Very large Slav and Croat pop. too. Used to be home to one of the largest tuna fleets in the world, sadly not any more. And downtown ain't what it used to be when i was a kid ;).

Anyways i can think of half a dozen delis and as many bakeries off the top of my head. Not to mention a few locals fermenting dago red.

danny

A friend in the Italian olive oil import business made a great recommendation: for Vito to go to the Fancy Food show in Chicago. He also cautioned that the weak dollar makes importing Italian products that much more expensive.

Still, this is all good information and I so much appreciate y'all who are tossing out things. Thank you so much!