• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ann Arbor Dining

cbarre02

Well...

Sence first posting this topic, has anyone tried places they have not been. I went to chop house, only to find what i expected. I also went to the dolce vita, i've eaten alot of desserts in my short life... most better than these. Has any one taken a trip to eve yet, i think the newness is wearing off. I hope that they do well. Zydaco has just left the main street front, maybe something good will fill this prime spot.

I must admit that i was hoping for something to fill the bottom of the new building on the other said of east williams and main, but all we got was a chain sub shop.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

Page 3 of the travel section in today's Grand Rapids Press features an article entitled "Fulfill food fantasies in Ann Arbor." Unfortunately, it's not very useful (or fantasy-related, for that matter). Most of the article is devoted to Zingerman's (Deli+Bakehouse+ Roadhouse) and Whole Foods Market, with smaller blurbs about Firefly and Fleetwood Diner, and brief mentions of Old Town Tavern, West End Grill, Bella Ciao, and Pacific Rim ("...mid-priced but great Asian food in a minimalist atmosphere.")

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, everyone always complains about how bad the eating is in their hometown to others in their hometown.

I'm the opposite--the food is the only thing in my hometown (Winnipeg) that I will defend to the end! That and the awesome summertime events--Folklorama, the Fringe Festival, and the Folk Festival make up for the 8 months of snow and nothingness we endure.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW! You guys have really got me intrigued on this topic.

I have been working on a business plan for a proper "chef driven" restaurant in downtown Ann Arbor for the last 16 months. It is still in the hypothecial/trail and error stages of development but there are a few things that relate to the food, wine, and service that are concrete.

Everyone's opinion here has brought up some of the very same thoughts that I have had myself. I think that there would be a horde of people willing to try it, but does that style of dining fit in to their weekly or monthly lifestyles? I am a little worried about trying to start something in Ann Arbor as I do see so many pluses, but as people have touched upon there are a few minuses. That is true for every city though and until someone tries it I don't think that any one could be so certain.

For what its worth, I consider Tribute to be the best restaurant around where but I take up great dislike for the inherit proprieties of the location. Once you are inside Tribute it is great, but the idea and process of getting there sucks and leaving there is a complete buzz kill of a way to end the evening. Something like that in downtown Ann Arbor where people can feel like they are dining in a comfortable community environment should be much more pleasant then I696 and Twelve Mile.

As I come a little more articulate about the concept I would be thrilled to have the opinions from fellow eGulleters. I believe strongly that there is a community waiting to happen that can support a "Chez Pannise like" enterprise in A2. I have seen some great restaurants concepts first hand (Moveable Feast, Chanterelle, French Laundry, WD~50) and believe that something can, and needs to be done in A2.

Thanks for the thread!

I was just curious if anyone knew anything about a place "Eve The Restaurant" in Kerrytown. I preseume it is in the old Kerrytown Bistro spot. I live in NYC now and just saw a few things about the place on the internet but their official webiste is down.

Has anybody been there? If so, is it anything good? A serious contender?

Thanks.

I was just curious if anyone knew anything about a place "Eve The Restaurant" in Kerrytown. I preseume it is in the old Kerrytown Bistro spot. I live in NYC now and just saw a few things about the place on the internet but their official webiste is down.

Has anybody been there? If so, is it anything good? A serious contender?

Thanks.

doesn't that name scare you just a little bit?

not that there's anything wrong with that, but it brings to mind Ann Arbor in the 70's, with an all female staff, and if you are a guy and you walk in, you get nothing but dirty looks.

Yes, the name "Eve The Restaurant" terrifies me a bit to be quite honest.

It is difficult to pass judgment on the place from afar because I want to see something succeed so badly, but the name is quite forward and precariously prominent.

It is funny that you mention an all female staff because what prompted me to look into this restaurant was seeing an online add looking to hire front and back of the house staff.

Have you been? If so, what is the concept? How is the food, price, wine, etc.?

Haven't been there but i have met with eve, and some of her staff. It is in the old bistro spot, and is quite contemparary as far as decor goes. When first opening it was quite busy, but now that the newness has worn off i worry that they are not seeing the business that they would like... acuttually i see this as a trend for many ann arbor restaurnats right now. Although pacific rim is getting quite a bit of business every night.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

• 8 months later...

I finally ate at The Common Grill (in Chelsea, not A2 proper) on Wednesday of last week. My friend lives in Grass Lake and is about a 15-minute drive on the back roads to The Common Grill. She just loves the restaurant and she eats there quite often.

The place was packed for a Wednesday night. The room was extraordinarily loud. Every table was full and every seat at the bar was full. Out of curiousity, I asked the bartender how many tables were in the place, and he didn't know (neither did our server :blink: ). We had a half-hour wait for a table, so we stood in the vicinity of the bar, naturally, and had a few glasses of white wine (house Chardonnay for my friend, house Chenin Blanc for my sister and I).

Having heard much about the place, I spent the time looking around the room. Other than the loudness factor, and the fact that everyone in the place was white, middle-aged, and obviously well-off, I was favorably impressed. It looks like a cute restaurant for a 2nd or 3rd date (after you have figured out that your date is someone you don't mind spending some money on, or them spending some money on you). We stepped outside for a smoke and I looked around Chelsea a bit--never been there, reminds me of South Haven or Saugatuck or Plainwell or any number of small Michigan towns!

We were seated with our backs to the kitchen, which is fine with me, as I don't much like staring at my job when I am on vacation. My friend insisted that we order the baked Brie appetizer (I would have preferred something else, and my sister wanted the oysters). The Brie came in its round with a terrific apple chutney--perfect balance of sweet and puckery--and grilled herbed naan bread. The naan was nice, chewy and holey, although I prefer other types of flatbread.

The bread they give you when you are seated is absolutely delicious. Soft, herb-y, salty rolls, warm and gooey, with whipped butter--I would have been satisfied making a meal of that. Our server was prompt and knowledgable, never glancing at the Specials Board as she recited them. I liked the server's uniform--button down shirts and khakis, no "flair" or anything of that ridiculous sort.

My entree was the goat cheese ravioli with shrimps, lobster, pancetta, and basil in a Roma-garlic beurre blanc. My sister ordered the bouillabaisse with grilled bread, and my friend had one of the specials--sauteed sea scallops in another Roma sauce with crimini mushrooms and spinach on capellini.

Before we received our entrees, we each had the Tuscan pear salad. It was your typical pear-Bleu salad in vinaigrette, nothing interesting about the plating.

The sauce my rav came in was extremely full-flavored, the pancetta adding the perfect crunch and saltiness to cut the richness of the goat cheese and the beurre blanc. The shrimps were butterflied and sauteed perfectly, and I was pleased with the generous hunks of lobster hiding under my ravioli. I would be surprised to learn that the ravioli were not homemade--their shapes were slightly irregular and there were different amounts of filling in each one. I usually do not like chiffonade of anything sprinkled over the top of my food, but this basil was cut micro-thin and was actually quite unobtrusive.

My sister's bouillabaisse was briny (as it should be) and the way it was plated was interesting. She received a whole lobster tail (split longways) and this was curled in the middle of the bowl to provide a center for the other seafoods. The clams were excellent. The only thing I didn't like was the crouton, and this was not the fault of the crouton--it was the fault of the excellent house bread already on the table! The crouton seemed superfluous.

My friend's scallops were not bad. I don't really get that into scallops, but I enjoyed the Roma sauce they were in. When I hear "Roma sauce" I think "marinara sauce" for some reason, but hers was actually quite light and had a predominant flavor of garlic. The sauteed spinach was done up in little "curls" on top of each scallop--must be a bitch to plate--but I thought the mushrooms were a little underdone. But that's better than overdone.

We shared a bottle of viognier.

The bill came to about $112. I would have liked to try a dessert (the bread pudding comes to mind) but we were absolutely stuffed from all the dinner bread. I have to say that their dessert selection was a bit disappointing. Anyone know if they do their desserts in house or if they come from somewhere else? I guess I am just sick of seeing molten chocolate cake and vanilla bean creme brulee on every menu.

So it was a good experience, and they had a female broiler cook, which I enjoy seeing, having been a female broiler cook myself. My only hesitation would be coming to the place on a weekend and having to sit through what must be rock-concert decibel noise.

My friend said that the last time she was there the Chef was expediting, but we did not see him on our visit. I saw that he has a cookbook out. I was going to buy it for her, but she doesn't cook, nor is she one of those oddballs that collects cookbooks :hmmm:

Noise is music. All else is food.

I just got back to NYC from my annual trip to A2 to check in on the status of the topic of this thread.

We stopped by Restaurant Eve to see what they were up to, but it was closed and there was no menu in sight. It looks pretty nice by A2 standards, but I am curious about the execution of the food, price point and how business is doing.

Anybody been to the newest contender "Rush Street" in the old Zydeco slot? It looks strikingly trendy and oozes with ambition. The menu looks okay from the website, and I would be curious to see what people have experienced. Thank God though that is isn't another Main Street Ventures cookie cutter concept restaurant that has overrun Main St.

I am still holding onto hope that some like-minded individuals can pull something together "ala Chez Panisse style" in A2 in the upcoming year or two... I know that there is the talent, just looking for the money to get it off the ground.

• 1 year later...

While I'm not personally very enthusiastic about the dining options out that way, I think there's enough interest in the "A2" area to give this thread a bump. At least, there seems to be enough food-related activities out there to keep even the most desparate gourmet busy (between special events at Z's Roadhouse, classes at Z's Deli and the turn-over of food businesses endemic to a college town).

So, let's get the discussion started:

I still haven't been to Logan.  Everytime I've looked at the menu it's just not looked that interesting.  Rush Street is the one you're thinking of on Main, and I haven't been there yet either.  This having a baby thing really cuts into ones eating out possiblities.  Eve has added a wine bar and is doing tasting classes and the like - haven't been to one yet, but hoping to make it soon.

I have recently been (back) to eve. I think it has improved a bit since my last a little under a year ago (I've been a total of four or five times) - namely the food has become a twitch more refined in presentation. The atmosphere remains nice.

The menu has changed a bit, but some familiars stay (like the Macadamia-encrusted Salmon - up $2 since my last visit) - especially in the starters and salads portion of the menu. They are offering a prix-fixe menu (I actually think there are two options - one for three courses and another for four... not sure. Also, I think the prix-fixe is only offered on weekdays). They've also stopped brunch service on Sundays, for which I praised eve in my review on my blog here.

Portion sizes are to be commended (or feared, depending on your approach). Suffice it to say: entrees remain left-over friendly. Also, being a full-flavored eater, I really appreciate her bold flavors... although one of our dishes was over-salted even for my salt-lick palate. I would have to say, however, that most of the food I had was overly greasy or heavy. Appetizers especially. Also, her salads are very heavy on dressing. The "Duck Salad" features sauteed apples and pears that were oozing with oil.

Desserts are a total skipper... although her cups of chocolate are pretty good, her "Triple Chocolate Pot de Creme" is decidedly not a pot de creme... looks like pudding - tastes like cold ganache - way too rich! *Boo!*

Anybody wish to report on Logan? I would have to disagree with tammylc; I think the menu looks interesting - but potentially disastrous... especially at those prices... $32 for skate? :blink: I've also heard that on Tuesdays-Thursdays, they offer a set 5-course prix fixe for $40...

u.e.

[Edited: to conform the post to a thread-merging.]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

My husband is in the process of finishing his dissertation (he defended today - yea!) so we have not done a lot of eating out at "nice" restuaurants lately. Last weekend, we revisited Prickly Pear, which is a favorite of mine mostly for the margaritas. It was my belated birthday dinner and I specified that I wanted to go there only if he would be responsible for driving... Afterwards, we tried the new chocolate lounge called Zenaida. It seems like if they get their act together it could be a fun place, but I'm not sure if they'll survive long enough to get to that point. I had the Belgian Bailey's Waffle, which was a so-so Belgian waffle with a scoop of gelato and a wonderful Bailey's flavored chocolate sauce. Next time I would just get the gelato with the sauce. My husband had a gelato milk shake that had a little kick (I can't remember the name). It was very rich.

My husband is in the process of finishing his dissertation (he defended today - yea!) so we have not done a lot of eating out at "nice" restuaurants lately.  Last weekend, we revisited Prickly Pear, which is a favorite of mine mostly for the margaritas.  It was my belated birthday dinner and I specified that I wanted to go there only if he would be responsible for driving...  Afterwards, we tried the new chocolate lounge called Zenaida.  It seems like if they get their act together it could be a fun place, but I'm not sure if they'll survive long enough to get to that point.  I had the Belgian Bailey's Waffle, which was a so-so Belgian waffle with a scoop of gelato and a wonderful Bailey's flavored chocolate sauce.  Next time I would just get the gelato with the sauce.  My husband had a gelato milk shake that had a little kick (I can't remember the name).  It was very rich.

1. Congrats to hubby on defending dissertation!

2. OHMYGOSH - gelato? Need to try!! What flavors... do tell all! Where is this chocolate lounge?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Anybody wish to report on Logan?  I would have to disagree with tammylc; I think the menu looks interesting - but potentially disastrous...  especially at those prices... $32 for skate?  :blink:  I've also heard that on Tuesdays-Thursdays, they offer a set 5-course prix fixe for $40...

I still haven't been, but I've reconsidered my previous Logan commentary because, as one friend noted, they don't have a steak on their menu. Which is a pretty gutsy move, really. She's been there a couple of times and is a big fan, although she reports that the appetizers were somewhat uninspired.

Alas, from what I have heard they are no longer doing the 5-course prix fixe. Although I bet you the chef would be willing to put together a tasting menu for someone who called and asked...

It'll likely be the next restaurant in that price range in Ann Arbor that I go to, for some as yet undecided occasion.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I still haven't been, but I've reconsidered my previous Logan commentary because, as one friend noted, they don't have a steak on their menu.  Which is a pretty gutsy move, really.  She's been there a couple of times and is a big fan, although she reports that the appetizers were somewhat uninspired.
You're friend wouldn't happen to be Ms. Rector, would it? The lack of steak was the first thing that Rector noted in her write-up on the restaurant when it first opened about a year ago...
Alas, from what I have heard they are no longer doing the 5-course prix fixe.  Although I bet you the chef would be willing to put together a tasting menu for someone who called and asked...
Rest assured, I was told just recently when I called, that they are - on weekdays between Tuesday and Thursday.
It'll likely be the next restaurant in that price range in Ann Arbor that I go to, for some as yet undecided occasion.
Well, if you do, please post your experience!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I still haven't been, but I've reconsidered my previous Logan commentary because, as one friend noted, they don't have a steak on their menu.  Which is a pretty gutsy move, really.  She's been there a couple of times and is a big fan, although she reports that the appetizers were somewhat uninspired.
You're friend wouldn't happen to be Ms. Rector, would it? The lack of steak was the first thing that Rector noted in her write-up on the restaurant when it first opened about a year ago...

No, but perhaps what I'm remembering is said friend posting a snippet of the Rector review.

Alas, from what I have heard they are no longer doing the 5-course prix fixe.  Although I bet you the chef would be willing to put together a tasting menu for someone who called and asked...
Rest assured, I was told just recently when I called, that they are - on weekdays between Tuesday and Thursday.

Hooray - that's happy news!

Well, if you do, please post your experience!

You know I will.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Oh, and a recent meal at Pacific Rim by Kana was near disastrous from beginning to end... :hmmm: By the way, their portions are not as large as their website pictures would have you believe.

This was my second visit, and I was just as disappointed as my firs time. The only dish that they seem to have gotten right is their miso-marinated sablefish, which was very good both times I've tried it.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I agree about Pacific Rim - I liked it much better when they were just Kana a long time ago. My inlaws like it so we seem to end up there at least once a year for some sort of celebration dinner.

About Zenaida - it's in the Ashley Mews building on Main St., in the space where there was a short-lived sandwich shop. They seem to be giving it a middle eastern "vibe" but it doesn't quite work. Their gelato was fine, but Zingerman's gelato is better in my opinion. I do want to try their pink champagne sorbetto though!

About Zenaida - it's in the Ashley Mews building on Main St., in the space where there was a short-lived sandwich shop.  They seem to be giving it a middle eastern "vibe" but it doesn't quite work.  Their gelato was fine, but Zingerman's gelato is better in my opinion.  I do want to try their pink champagne sorbetto though!
Zingerman's flavors are awesome, but their consistancy ranges from good to really poor. Their chocolate flavors and some of their nut flavors are exceedingly hard - clay like. I know they have one called "Hazel's Hazlenut" which is so hard, I swear you could sculpt with it. :hmmm: Z's is slightly pricey too...

If you read my blog, you'll know that I :wub:gelato - I mean *LOVE* the frozen treat. I scour the world for good gelato and have found moments of ecstasy when eating helados in Argentina (IMO, the best), Italy and even NYC and Philly... I'm hoping to find some good gelato when I head out West later this year... but, here in the Midwest... nearly nada - there is one good one that I've tried in Kansas City - a tiny shop called The Sweet Guy in old Parkville along the Missouri River...

Z's gelato is just way too hard for me - some of their fruity ones are okay consistancy, but I tend to go for the harder-hitting stuff like chocolates and coffee flavors... Will have to try Zenaida... do they make it in-house? Champagne sorbetto I would try!

I really miss American Spoon... although it wasn't killer-good, it was probably the best in the A2 area.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Z's gelato is just way too hard for me - some of their fruity ones are okay consistancy, but I tend to go for the harder-hitting stuff like chocolates and coffee flavors...  Will have to try Zenaida... do they make it in-house?  Champagne sorbetto I would try! 

I had a chance to re-try the gelati at Z's Deli. I must say, they've seriously improved the texture of their gelatos - generally. The Hazelnut that I metioned as being clay-like before was now nice and creamy. As well, their chocolates now were much less doughy and much more creamy - but a little syrupy/goopy.

I do need to note that I was slightly disappointed in the taste of the dark chocolate gelatos - they're not as dark and bitter as it has been in the past for some reason. While I was reassured that the chocolate gelatos were still made from Scharffen Berger cacoa, I suspect it might be a change in the S.B. production that accounts for the more "mass production" taste. The flavor was just flat for some reason.

I was also slightly disappointed that the "Chocolate Heat" flavor was missing the heat - instead, it was more like dark chocolate and cinnamon. Still very good, but just not the spicy treat that I once enjoyed.

If nothing else, I continue to applaud Z's awesome customer service. For one, they pulled an entire bin of raspberry gelato after I tasted it and said that it tasted bad... it was old and "stale." Two employees took a taste and agreed with me, and out it went. The new batch was considerably better. As well, I later noticed three Z's employees scrutinizing the gelati - tasting and checking the temperature. As well, they replaced a couple of bins they found lacking.

Now that they've gotten much better about the textural consistency, I just hope they can keep it consistent! :raz:

I'm just hoping that the next time I'm in, they'll have Burnt Sugar in!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Glad your gelato experience was more to your liking.

I think the deli has found that the high sugar content of the Burnt Sugar makes it hard to maintain the right consistency in the freezer case there, so I'm not sure if they're purposefully avoiding having it in stock. But you can get it direct from the Creamery (I saw it when I was there today).

Burnt Sugar is my favorite flavor! Although the peanut butter is awfully good too.

June 3rd they're having their new flavor kick-off day at the Creamery. You can watch them make gelato, taste the new seasonal flavors, and get a free mini-cone.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I really miss American Spoon... although it wasn't killer-good, it was probably the best in the A2 area.

u.e.

Isn't there still an American Spoon Foods store in Northville? It isn't A2, I know, but not too far away, M-14 construction notwithstanding.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Isn't there still an American Spoon Foods store in Northville? It isn't A2, I know, but not too far away, M-14 construction notwithstanding.

Oh my goodness! You're right!

Northville, MI 48168

105 North Center Street

248-347-1643

Thanks... had no idea... do you know if they sell gelato? I'll have to call them and find out!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Glad your gelato experience was more to your liking.

I think the deli has found that the high sugar content of the Burnt Sugar makes it hard to maintain the right consistency in the freezer case there, so I'm not sure if they're purposefully avoiding having it in stock.  But you can get it direct from the Creamery (I saw it when I was there today).

Burnt Sugar is my favorite flavor!  Although the peanut butter is awfully good too.

June 3rd they're having their new flavor kick-off day at the Creamery.  You can watch them make gelato, taste the new seasonal flavors, and get a free mini-cone.

tammylc.

Well, I found the texture (I'm trying to avoid the word consistency for obvious dubious reasons) of the Burnt Sugar better than most, actually. In fact, I was told to watch out for it on Fridays when the Next Door gets their weekly shipment from the Creamery. I really need to get my butt over to the creamery sometime - as they seem to carry more flavors.

I'm not a fan of peanut things in general, so I haven't tried their Peanut Butter gelato. My favorite flavor that I've tried is their Chocolate Balsamic Strawberry - but I understand that's a seasonal thing - being always highlighted in February. Chocolate Heat's not bad - when it's got the heat... Wally's Double Shot Espresso is also good. Can't say that I've ever cared much for their fruity gelatos... they're good, but, like I said before, if I'm going for the calories, I'm going to max out with the heavy hitting stuff. Don't care for caramel-y flavors either - like Dulce de Leche.

Does anyone know if they do/did an Avocado gelato? I heard somewhere that they had it in the Next Door once, but that the Creamery always has it (and most other flavors).

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account