• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ann Arbor Dining

cbarre02

This month's Ann Arbor Observer restaurant review features two restaurants we've talked about a bit on this thread - Logan and Eve. Both are offering weeknight prix-fixe or tasting menus. The Logan menu sounds like a great deal - $40 for a 5 course tastin menu plus an amuse. $18 for wine pairings. Eve has a couple of different options, depending if you want 3 or 4 courses.

Good review, that's definitely inspiring me to get myself to Logan at the next appropriate opportunity.

Unfortunately, I can't find the review online, only in the paper edition.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I haven't seen avocado recently - maybe it was a special or seasonal item.

So they did have it! :raz: Let's hope its season comes around again (I know avocado's are in season in summer! Right? Regardless, I would love to try it.

I've also been lobbying for a yogurt gelato.

I'm with you about the fruity flavors - I trend toward heavy hitting myself.  But I will say that the lemon gelato is lovely.
Too custardy for me.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

This month's Ann Arbor Observer restaurant review features two restaurants we've talked about a bit on this thread - Logan and Eve.  Both are offering weeknight prix-fixe or tasting menus.  The Logan menu sounds like a great deal - $40 for a 5 course tastin menu plus an amuse.  $18 for wine pairings.  Eve has a couple of different options, depending if you want 3 or 4 courses.

Although I was there a couple of weeks ago, could you remind me the prices for the two eve prix-fixe menus?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Tammy - thanks for the heads up about the Z's Creamery event - I put it on my calendar!

Does anyone have any good recent finds for inexpensive/ethnic restaurants?

I am still loving our Vietnamese restaurant - MisSaigon on Ellsworth. We tried No Thai on S. University recently - I really liked it but my husband didn't think it had enough flavor.

I am going out with my sister-in-law tomorrow night and she's on an artist's budget, so I'm hoping to try somewhere new (to me at least) and cheap - any recommendations?

What are your favorite Korean spots?

You're gonna laugh...

One of my favorite Korean spots is on the U. Michigan campus - it's on South University Street. There are three Korean restos on that street alone... One is actually called "University Cafe" (it's actually on Church right off of S. Univ., if I'm not mistaken) - that's not the one. There's another one that's called "Coffee Shop" (not kidding) - that's not it either. The one I'm talking about has a very Anglo name - something like "J.D.'s" or "Mr. J.R.'s" or "Jimmy's," you get the point. You'll know it because it's literally a long deli counter. The only way you'd know it's a Korean resto from the outside is that the window is plastered with picto-menu of their dishes (as many Korean/Asian restos do).

There's another good Korean resto on the campus - it's kind of awkwardly located. It's called Seoul Korner (yes, it's spelled with a "K"). It's on the corner of E. William and Liberty streets, I think. It's a tiny little hut, just down from Cottage Inn Pizza... they're good for soups.

Otherwise, for something higher end with a LOT of options, try Seoul Garden. Located on Boardwalk (near the Briarwood mall). It's a little pricey - but actually not that much more than either of the other two - you just have to pay for service here. The advantage:

1. Lots of choices - I mean, the menu goes on like a book.

2. Love their dol sot bi bim bop.

3. You can grill meats on your table and share.

4. They do amazing hot pots - big enough for a family to share!

5. Price of the meal usually includes a cornucopia of traditional Korean side-dishes.

Other ethnic eats: sadly, can't recommend any that I've found satisfactory. I've been to Tuptim Thai out in Ypsi a couple of times, and they're okay... but nothing spectacular... but then again, I'm not the biggest fan of Thai food. Blue Nile: substandard Ethiopian fare at unjustifiably high prices...

I've heard that Amadeus is good for Austrian food, but have never been.

Haven't found any Indian places that have really pleased me either... :sad:

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I found a link to all the Korean restos I mentioned above. The one on S. University that I mentioned is called "Rich J.C." - I was close...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

You're gonna laugh...

One of my favorite Korean spots is on the U. Michigan campus - it's on South University Street. There are three Korean restos on that street alone... One is actually called "University Cafe" (it's actually on Church right off of S. Univ., if I'm not mistaken) - that's not the one. There's another one that's called "Coffee Shop" (not kidding) - that's not it either. The one I'm talking about has a very Anglo name - something like "J.D.'s" or "Mr. J.R.'s" or "Jimmy's," you get the point. You'll know it because it's literally a long deli counter. The only way you'd know it's a Korean resto from the outside is that the window is plastered with picto-menu of their dishes (as many Korean/Asian restos do).

There's another good Korean resto on the campus - it's kind of awkwardly located. It's called Seoul Korner (yes, it's spelled with a "K"). It's on the corner of E. William and Liberty streets, I think. It's a tiny little hut, just down from Cottage Inn Pizza... they're good for soups.

Otherwise, for something higher end with a LOT of options, try Seoul Garden. Located on Boardwalk (near the Briarwood mall). It's a little pricey - but actually not that much more than either of the other two - you just have to pay for service here. The advantage:

1. Lots of choices - I mean, the menu goes on like a book.

2. Love their dol sot bi bim bop.

3. You can grill meats on your table and share.

4. They do amazing hot pots - big enough for a family to share!

5. Price of the meal usually includes a cornucopia of traditional Korean side-dishes.

Other ethnic eats: sadly, can't recommend any that I've found satisfactory. I've been to Tuptim Thai out in Ypsi a couple of times, and they're okay... but nothing spectacular... but then again, I'm not the biggest fan of Thai food. Blue Nile: substandard Ethiopian fare at unjustifiably high prices...

u.e.

Seoul Corner is good, basic food. I liked it. Da Lai T(sp) in Ypsi is a good choice for that kind of food, it's Vietnamese, but if you like Korean, you'll probably like that. I believe Emerald City on Washtenaw before Golfside still does a Korean menu that you have to request. Their Chinese lunch buffet is good.

Ulterior-any Chitown destination restaurant excursions planned? Your photos rule! Keep em' coming, they are by far the best food photos on flickr. These restaurants would be wise to have you take their food pics for their websites. One question:jackets aren't a requirement at Avenues, right? I am hoping Chef Bowles has them upgrade the Avenues website slong with the decor, it is sadly lacking, imho. Very basic, no food photos, only one decor photo.

Ulterior-any Chitown destination restaurant excursions planned?

Yup - see here.

Your photos rule! Keep em' coming, they are by far the best food photos on flickr.  These restaurants would be wise to have you take their food pics for their websites.
Thanks - I only wish they'd hire me to take photos for them! I'd do it happily. If any restos out there are on the look out for a food photographer, you know where you can find me! :wink:
One question:jackets aren't a requirement at Avenues, right? I am hoping Chef Bowles has them upgrade the Avenues website slong with the decor, it is sadly lacking, imho. Very basic, no food photos, only one decor photo.
To keep this topic on track, I've answered your questions here.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

One is actually called "University Cafe" (it's actually on Church right off of S. Univ., if I'm not mistaken) - that's not the one. There's another one that's called "Coffee Shop" (not kidding) - that's not it either. The one I'm talking about has a very Anglo name - something like "J.D.'s" or "Mr. J.R.'s" or "Jimmy's," you get the point. You'll know it because it's literally a long deli counter. The only way you'd know it's a Korean resto from the outside is that the window is plastered with picto-menu of their dishes (as many Korean/Asian restos do).

Otherwise, for something higher end with a LOT of options, try Seoul Garden. Located on Boardwalk (near the Briarwood mall). It's a little pricey - but actually not that much more than either of the other two - you just have to pay for service here.

u.e.

U. Cafe (as it is known among students) was the favorite of a Korean woman I worked with in family housing's ESL program. Their portions are HUGE and food is good. I have been wondering about Rich JC lately - they are a couple of doors down from the above-mentioned No Thai. The exterior of the building recently got rehabbed and it is looking better. I think that will be the place we try tomorrow.

Seoul Korner creeps me out for some reason, but I will eat take out from there.

I boycott Seoul Garden, which is a shame because I used to really enjoy their BBQ. I had a dispute with their manager over fake crab that was in my spider roll... I am allergic to fish and specifically asked whether there was fake crab in the roll before I ordered it, and then she refused to take it off my check.

I share your assessment of Tuptim - passable but not memorable. Blue Nile too - I can find better ways to spend my dining dollars.

Amadeus is a favorite for the middle of winter, when we want something warm and cozy. It doesn't fit into the cheap ethic eats category, but it is worth a try sometime.

Madras Masala is our favorite Indian spot lately. It's on Maynard.

Although I was there a couple of weeks ago, could you remind me the prices for the two eve prix-fixe menus?

$30 for 3 courses with a couple of options, $42 for 4 courses with more choices for the courses. There's a $18 wine bar prix fixe that's smaller portions.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I am going out with my sister-in-law tomorrow night and she's on an artist's budget, so I'm hoping to try somewhere new (to me at least) and cheap - any recommendations?

Also reviewed in this month's Observer are two possiblities. Taqueria La Fiesta is at Packard near Carpenter and is a spin off of La Fiesta Mexicana - sounds like they have at least a few things that aren't on the La Fiesta menu. Also, the Pillar's tamale cart folks have opened up an 18-seat Salvadoran restaurant on South State (past the Produce Station).

It seems to be the new restaurant time of year! Vinology is opening up on May 1st, and there's an article in the Marketplace Changes section about another that's opening this summer where Bird of Pardise used to be on Main - Melange Bistro/Wine Bar. Apparently French-Asian fusion, with the restaurant design apparently by some hot shot restaurant designer. (It's a basement location, and they didn't want it to feel cramped, so they dug the floor down three feet to give it 10-ft ceilings.)

So many restaurants, so little time and money.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Two gelato updates:

1. Zingerman's has got the best burt sugar gelato right now... it's uber bitter and has delightful shards of the burnt sugar laced throughout... It's very very good.

2. I had a chance this week to drop by Zenaida Chocolate Lounge in the Ashley Mews Building. Between my friends and I we ended up tasting every flavor they had. If I remember correctly:

Gelati:

(a) Gingersnap Cookie: tastes more like molasses and has nasty consistency - kind of like molasses cookies soaked in milk and then pureed - a little grainy... didn't like at all.

(b) Cognac: minimal Cognac - tasted more like icy milk - very creamy/milky.

© Dark Chocolate Brandy: The dark chocolate was very dark and the Brandy did stand out - but the consistency was a little grainy/pasty...

(d) Vanilla Bean: pretty good, a tad on the milky-creamy taste side.

(e) Dulce de Leche: I didn't try it but my friends thought was very caramel-y.

(f) Amerena Cherry: probably my second favorite gelato - although it was just a twee sweet.

(g) Spiced Apple Caramel: my favorite of the gelatos - nice spicey apple flavor - but the consistency was just a bit syrupy-pasty.

Sorbetti:

(a) Rose Petal: delightfully rosy by nightmarishly sweet.

(b) Pink Champagne Sorbetto: by far the *best* In fact, my friends and I all agreed that this was the hands-down winner. Of all of the liquor/alcoholic flavors, this was by far the most potent.

© Pina Colada: Very pineapple-y with a slight hint of coconut. No rum taste at all. *Boo*

(d) Tangerine Triple Sec: citrus-tangerine-y, but couldn't taste the Triple Sec... probably my second favorite sorbetto.

Overall, I was pretty happy. If I were to go again, I think I'd be satisfied with just a scoop of the Pink Champagne. ($2.99 for 1/2 cup portion; $1 for each additional flavor).

u.e.

[edited to add: The owner told me that she doesn't make her gelato in-house (and I think it shows in the consistency). Rather, she sources them from two companies - one in Italy and one in Chicago.]

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

(b) Cognac: minimal Cognac - tasted more like icy milk - very creamy/milky.

u.e.

Hi U.E. Would you describe this as being more like a milk punch?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I dined at the Earle Uptown last night for FIL's birthday. If you're looking for a spot for a quiet romantic dinner, this would be a great place. The food was very good, and the service was excellent. There's nothing avant garde about it, it's more along the lines of classic French dining.

• 3 weeks later...

Another birthday dinner to report on - last night we went to the Gandy Dancer to celebrate DH's birthday. Bleh. I tried to convince him to go to eve or Pacific Rim, but his fond memories of the Gandy Dancer clouded his judgment. We hadn't been there since the ownership change several years ago. My biggest complaint was that nothing we ordered had any flavor except for the rolls and biscuits in the bread basket. We shared the crab-stuffed avocado as an appetizer. It was on the specials list and it looked like it was going to be good but it just didn't taste like anything. I had the Shrimp Fresca, and the tomato sauce didn't even seem to have any garlic. I am allergic to fish, and everyone else ordered fish, so I didn't get to taste any other entrees, but my husband said that his just didn't have any flavor. I was also a bit critical of the service - our waitress was constantly trying to upsell us, and it got to the point of feeling uncomfortable. We won't be back.

Sorry to hear about your dinner, annarborfoodie. I haven't heard anything good about the Gandy Dancer in some time, sadly.

We had a mediocre meal this week for my husband's birthday too! We wanted to take advantage of the Mainstreet Ventures free meal deal. Knowing that we're not really thrilled about any of the Main St outposts, we thought we'd go with an unknown quantity - Carson's American Bistro. I knew from looking at the menu that I wasn't going to be thrilled, but my husband likes classic American food, so it was a good fit for him.

We shared the "burger bites" appetizer - three 2-oz mini burgers (mini burgers seem to be all the rage these days) with three different cheeses. They were really quite good - nice buttered toasted buns, good meat, tasty cheese (particularly the blue). My husband's steak was great - properly cooked, tender, quite tasty - although perhaps a little overseasoned, as by the time he finished it he was feeling overwhelmed by salt. The fries that came with it were forgettable shoestrings. I ordered a chicken caesar salad. The chicken was decently flavorable and nicely moist, but the salad was a gigantic plate of too-garlicky overdressed romaine - blech. Liam (our 2 year old) enjoyed his macaroni and cheese.

I had the molten peanut butter chocolate cake, which was fine, and about what you'd exect. Eric had a lemon creme brulee which tasted decent, but was texturally a little off - the custard was too firm and not as smooth as it should have been.

The food was decent enough, but if I'd had to pay full price for the meal I would have been really annoyed. $40 for what we had was fine - at $80 I would have felt ripped off.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Another birthday dinner to report on - last night we went to the Gandy Dancer to celebrate DH's birthday.  Bleh.  I tried to convince him to go to eve or Pacific Rim, but his fond memories of the Gandy Dancer clouded his judgment.  We hadn't been there since the ownership change several years ago.  My biggest complaint was that nothing we ordered had any flavor except for the rolls and biscuits in the bread basket.  We shared the crab-stuffed avocado as an appetizer.  It was on the specials list and it looked like it was going to be good but it just didn't taste like anything.  I had the Shrimp Fresca, and the tomato sauce didn't even seem to have any garlic.  I am allergic to fish, and everyone else ordered fish, so I didn't get to taste any other entrees, but my husband said that his just didn't have any flavor.  I was also a bit critical of the service - our waitress was constantly trying to upsell us, and it got to the point of feeling uncomfortable.  We won't be back.

So even showing him the Gandy Dancer thread wouldn't have helped, eh?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Logan for dinner a week or so ago for my wedding anniversary. This "chef-driven restaurant" has been around for a little more than a year, I think. I haven't been, because the menu just never inspired me to choose it over more affordable options. But finally I decided, even though the menu still wasn't really exciting me, that we should check it out anyway.

First off, I have to say that I really appreciate what Logan is trying to do. They're aiming for a level of fine dining that's higher than pretty much anywhere else in town. Offering an amuse bouche, interesting plating - it's clear that they're aiming for the top. Unfortunately, they're just not meeting the mark.

Our amuse bouche came closest, and was really promising. The little bowl of asparagus vichysoisse was smooth, creamy and well executed, and the drizzle of pickled ramp oil pushed it over the top.

They offer a 5 course tasting menu for $40 Tuesday through Thursday, but neither my husband or I thought it especially interesting, so we decided to order a la carte instead, reasoning that we'd get to try just as many dishes by ordering separate items and sharing.

He started with BROILED MUSSELS - Fresh East coast mussels broiled with apple wood smoked bacon and halloumi cheese. Served on a bed of braised cabbage with a stained glass sauce composed of a citrus reduction and parsley and chili oils.

This sounded intriguing, and the plating was certainly impressive (see the rightmost image on the restaurant's main page) but it didn't live up to expectations. The cheese stuck to the shells, making it was hard to get all the tastes in one forkful. The braised cabbage was quite tasty, however - my husband doesn't like cabbage and he ate it right up.

I had GRUYERE CUSTARD - A savory Antique Gruyere custard served with handmade poppy seed crackers and a warm soffritto. I love custards. This was certainly tasty enough, just not very interesting. The soffritto added a little something. The poppy seeds on the crackers fell off if they moved from the horizontal, and that annoyed me.

On to the mains. For me, OAXACAN SHORT RIBS - Beef short ribs braised in an authentic Oaxacan molè consisting of ancho & guajillo chilies, onions, tomatoes and garlic all blacked on a comal. Garnished with a parsnip puree and cilantro oil. Doesn't that sound like it should just be packed with flavor? The presentation was again right up there, with what I can only describe as a reversed pyramid of parsnips (4 sides, but going down in the middle not up) with the short rib nestled in the middle and the deep black sauce over it all. Sadly, it mostly just tasted burnt.

Eric got the SEARED TUNA STEAK - A sashimi grade yellowfin tuna steak pan seared. Served with udon noodles, simmered in a lemongrass ginger broth. Garnished with sugar-snap peas, carrots and pickled ramps. The pickled ramps were again the star. The tuna steak was a pretty good cut and well prepared. I thought the broth for the noodles was good in the little splash I tasted, but my husband, after eating the whole plate, said it might as well have been ramen noodles.

Across all of the dishes but the amuse bouche, I'd have to say that the flavors were just too flat. Maybe even a little more salt would have livened things up. Or just some effort at balancing flavors with some acid elements. I can't really guess what's going on in the kitchen, I just know that what's coming out of it just isn't hitting the mark. At $15-$20/plate it would probably have been okay, at $25-$30, the quality to price ratio is just off.

While the flavors weren't huge, the portion sizes were, so we had to seriously ponder if we were up for dessert. In the end we decided not to "throw good money after bad" and go elsewhere for an after dinner pastry.

But they did give us a new umbrella, so that's got to count from something! As we were retreiving our raincoat and umbrella, we made a joke to the host that we were tempted to steal somebody else's umbrella, because ours was in such pitiful shape. And he replied "well, these two have been here long enough to be fair game." So we swapped! It's really quite a nice umbrella, and helped offset some small amount of our dissatisfaction.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

While dining at a fabulous bistro in upstate New York while on a business trip, my coworker D and I got to talking about what we look for in restaurants, and ye olde question of why there aren't any really good restaurants in Ann Arbor. I noted that a restaurant changing its menu regularly is one of the first things I look for in deciding where to eat. Red Newt Bistro, where we were having our conversation, changes their menu dramatically every 3 weeks. Most of the best restaurants I've been to are constantly modifying their menus. We couldn't come up with a single restaurant in Ann Arbor that made more than token occasional changes, with most of the menu remaining static.

I think there's a definite relationship between restaurant quality and menu rotation. A constantly changing menu means that a) the chef is taking advantage of seasonal availablity of foods and b) they're creative and inspired and enjoy trying new ideas.

What do you think? Eve is probably one of the best restaurants in Ann Arbor right now, and while they do have some dishes that have been on the menu since the beginning, they do mix things up occasionally. One of the things that kept me from going to Logan for so long was the static nature of their menu - not what I expect from the kind of restaurant they seem to be trying to be.

Please discuss.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

While dining at a fabulous bistro in upstate New York while on a business trip, my coworker D and I got to talking about what we look for in restaurants, and ye olde question of why there aren't any really good restaurants in Ann Arbor.  I noted that a restaurant changing its menu regularly is one of the first things I look for in deciding where to eat.  Red Newt Bistro, where we were having our conversation, changes their menu dramatically every 3 weeks.  Most of the best restaurants I've been to are constantly modifying their menus.  We couldn't come up with a single restaurant in Ann Arbor that made more than token occasional changes, with most of the menu remaining static.

I think there's a definite relationship between restaurant quality and menu rotation.  A constantly changing menu means that a) the chef is taking advantage of seasonal availablity of foods and b) they're creative and inspired and enjoy trying new ideas. 

What do you think?  Eve is probably one of the best restaurants in Ann Arbor right now, and while they do have some dishes that have been on the menu since the beginning, they do mix things up occasionally.  One of the things that kept me from going to Logan for so long was the static nature of their menu - not what I expect from the kind of restaurant they seem to be trying to be. 

Please discuss.

True...Vinology shows promise, went there with the folks a week ago. I had Arctic Char...the fish itself was great, but it was swimming in a very bitter citrus broth-yuck! Would have been better with the tomato foam or basil foam on the menu. I was suprised, because I have had lunch there three times and loved it each time. The broth clearly didn't work, if tasted by the chef or shefs, it would have been rejected and re-done. My mother had scallops...got to try a bite and they were amazing! On par with the scallops at Avenues! We shared the charcuterie(sp) board, perfect ap for four, enough to go around, lots of great tastes. Will try them again for dinner.

I agree tammy's assesments of menus, they should change frequently, and often, fewer selections are better. Changing menus tells me that a kitchen is using what is in season and freshest. For instance, at Spring, the menu is small, there were maybe 7 or 8 entrees, a half dozen apps, and the food was incredible. Better to focus on making fewer dishes and making them well, imho.

I think I'm going to Vinology for dinner on Wednesday. Thanks for the warning - I'll be sure to avoid the char... (And maybe try the scallops, although I'm still recovering from the all-scallops, all-the-time birthday dinner I made for my husband last month.)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

...(And maybe try the scallops, although I'm still recovering from the all-scallops, all-the-time birthday dinner I made for my husband last month.)

Ooh, can we hear about that? :cool: (Or have you already posted and I've missed it?)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

...(And maybe try the scallops, although I'm still recovering from the all-scallops, all-the-time birthday dinner I made for my husband last month.)

Ooh, can we hear about that? :cool: (Or have you already posted and I've missed it?)

Sure. It's a little off-topic for this thead, so I wrote it up and posted it over here.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40