• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast in Baltimore?

Lew_Bryson

I'm going to Baltimore on Friday and Saturday to do research for a brewery/bar guidebook. I'm bar-hopping to exhaustion Friday night (fatigue, not pass-out, I gotta stay sober enough to take notes), and I'm going to need lots of really great coffee and a rib-sticking breakfast Saturday morning.

So...what's the best non-chain place in Baltimore for breakfast? I want coffee, and biscuits, and shellfish, and pie, and maybe some local breakfast favorite I'm not aware of. And I would rather starve than eat at Denny's or some other damned chain restaurant pit. Educate me, hon!

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.

Well, as a huge fan of "Homicide: Life on the Streets" you may want to check out Jimmy's Reataurant. (The detectives ate here quite a bit). It's right in Fell's Point, so convenient if you're checking out bars there. I remember great atmosphere, basic diner but I can't recall details on the food regarding their selection, etc--maybe some locals could weigh in...

Jimmy's Restaurant & others

If you're up to bracing yourself next day with ice cold beer and raw oysters, check out the Cross Street Market in Federal Hill. Full of food stalls, bakeries and in the back a great raw oyster bar--cheap prices, eclectic crowd. This was one of my absolute favorite memories of my trips to Baltimore.

Cross St Market

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Been there, done that on the Cross Street Market, and that seafood bar/counter/stand-up eats place is GREAT, plus they serve beer in the biggest damned plastic cups I've ever seen, like a kid's beach bucket without the handle. They even have a couple beers that aren't slop.

Anyone know about the food at Jimmy's? I like atmosphere too, but...ya can't stick a fork in it!

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

In case anyone's keeping score at home...I wound up going to Blue Moon Cafe, on Aliceanna st. in Fells Point. Great little place, excellent food (I had Dmitri's Burritos, scrambled eggs, cheddar, fresh house-made salsa (fairly dry, not that goopy shtuff), and hash-browns rolled up in flour tortillas and topped with a reasonable amount of add'l salsa and cheddar), and the coffee was exceptional. Service was great, too. I'd be very happy to go back tomorrow.

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Thanks for the info on Blue Moon Cafe; finding good breakfast places when I travel is a real pleasure for me; so I'll remember this the next time I'm in Charm City.

I liked what you were asking about in your first post--biscuits, shellfish, pie... I wonder if there is some place like that in Baltimore. Sounds plausible with the Southern influence and abundance of crab, etc.

Hope the research for your brewery/guidebook came out well. Let us know when you finish it!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"