• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upstate Farmers Selling in NYC

docsconz

The Post-Star newspaper of Glens Falls, NY (http://poststar.net/ subscription required) ran an article today aboutCornell cooperative Extension working with upstate farmers to help market their produce in NYC, especially to restaurants and greenmarkets. The CCE has received a grant to fund the program, called NY Farms Express and would include paying for a refrigerated delivery truck to make once-per-week deliveries to NYC. This program would be funded by the grant for one year with hopes that the farmers would take over and continue after that period.

My perspective is that this is a great idea and a great way to help small, quality producers get their produce to a discerning market (most already sell locally) and help support the bottom line. I'm all for anything that will encourage production of quality produce. I see this as a potential boon both for NYC and upstate. NYC gets excellent economical produce and upstate gets additional support and encouragement for quality farms.

Any thoughts from NYC consumers (i.e chefs, restauranteurs or home cooks) or upstate producers?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I like upstate produce SO much, I took a more drastic approach. I'm moving there...

Red Hook NY, here we come!!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Very interesting. My feeling is that any program that helps keep fertile land being used for agriculture is a plus.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Born and raised in Brooklyn, but currently in the Glens Falls area. It is close enough to the city, but it has its own advantages, not the least of which is being so close to good food sources.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Red Hook and Rhinebeck are terrific for e-gullet types. Aside from the great produce grown here, there are venison farms, dairies, fresh chickens and rabbits. Not to mention the restaurants in town...Mina in Red Hook, Terrapin, Cripple Creek, Beekman, le Petit Bistro, Gigi Trattoria and Belvedere Mansion in Rhinebeck are all fantastic. People think I am moving to the boonies (I live in overpopulated northern NJ now), but they don't realize there is plenty to do and eat!!

ant

Red Hook and Rhinebeck are terrific for e-gullet types. Aside from the great produce grown here, there are venison farms, dairies, fresh chickens and rabbits. Not to mention the restaurants in town...Mina in Red Hook, Terrapin, Cripple Creek, Beekman, le Petit Bistro, Gigi Trattoria and Belvedere Mansion in Rhinebeck are all fantastic. People think I am moving to the boonies (I live in overpopulated northern NJ now), but they don't realize there is plenty to do and eat!!

ant

shhhh...

You'll wake the giant. :raz:

woodburner

Woodburner, thanks for the link. Anyone who has a chance should try the pork from Flying Pigs Farm. It is pork with character, very much unlike typical supermarket pork. It is the equivalent of heritage breed turkey to butterball. To think, Jenn Small and Mike Yezzi, the proprietors of Flying Pigs Farm do this in their spare time given that both have full-time jobs outside the farm. :cool:

Twitter - @docsconz

Great list of recommendations, adegiulio! Although I would substitute 40 West for the Beekman Arms (which is a great place to stash visiting relatives, but I haven't found the food to be as compelling). My personal favorite restaurant in the general vicinity is the Depuy Canal House across the river in High Falls.

allison

Woodburner, thanks for the link. Anyone who has a chance should try the pork from Flying Pigs Farm. It is pork with character, very much unlike typical supermarket pork. It is the equivalent of heritage breed turkey to butterball. To think, Jenn Small and Mike Yezzi, the proprietors of Flying Pigs Farm do this in their spare time given that both have full-time jobs outside the farm. :cool:

Flying Pigs Farm

I really need to get a life, and get up there this spring/summer. I have personally heard nothing but stellar reviews from anyone who has procured meats or fowl from them.

woodburner

Msmelkor, you are right about the Beekman, it isn't the same without Mr. Forgione's influence. We were avid fans of Dupuy Canal House, but I think it too has gone downhill, of late. In my opinion John Novi and his crew are some of the most creative and loyal chefs in the area, but the service there has been lacking big time. Service was never their strong point, but the past year (more like two) has seen the average service deteriorate to poor. I don't even think about going there anymore, unless it is for their Epicurian Road Rally, which is the best way in the world to spend a spring or autumn Sunday. I hope DCH gets its act together, because I have had some very memorable dinners there, most notably New Years Eve 1999-2000. I want to go back, but the lousy service and (occasionally) uncomfortable environment (its always too hot and my legs don't fit under those ancient tables) make it a tough choice...

Do we know yet where the greenmarket will be held?

As an aside -- I discovered yesterday that a co-operative greenmarket is held in the lobby of the Prince George Hotel on W. 28th Street. (???!!??) From what I could see it's all indoors and is pretty expansive -- must be about 25 tables set up in the lobby. Alas, I was there too late to see which vendors attend, or what type of produce is sold.

Anyone else heard of this hotel-lobby greenmarket?

Many of these farmers also sell their produce at the Greenmarkets now. Flying Pigs Farm, I believe, sells at Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn, while 3-Corner Field Farm sells their lamb (awesome!) at Union Square.

Twitter - @docsconz