• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepper and Salt Mills/Grinders

Fat Guy

Dude! Stop grinding into your sink and save the stuff. Though, I do have to admit when I first bought mine I did the same thing! :laugh:

Whatta mill!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

Let me add a vote against the pepper balls. Mine fell out of my greasy hands on Monday and shattered when it hit the floor. I'm going with something more durable next time.

Kevin

I have a Mikasa electric peppermill. I thought it was sort of gimicky, but at $5 due to a store closing sale it was cheaper than manual models, so I figured I would give it a shot.

I have to say, that as long as you don't overload it, it works incredibly well. I don't like a super-fine grind, but it is far from coarse. I think regular price is near $40, but if you have a Mikasa outlet nearby perhaps they would have one.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Check out the W. M. Bounds line of pepper grinders. I've had one for several years and recommend it highly. The grinding mechanism is ceramic, rather than steel and adjusts to three different grades: coarse, medium or fine. Saw them the other day at Macy's, and the prices were very reasonable.

My vote for the Peppergun ($23.50) and the Magnum ($31)from peppergun.com. I recently used some birthday money for the dual purchase, intending the Peppergun for my stove/work bench and the Magnum for my table. I am raving about these. They load easily, grind from fine to coarse, and are terrific grinders.

I've used an arabic coffee mill for the past ten years -- the grind is adjustable and apparently it is virtually indestructible. (I am clumsy, and our floors are hard.)

Edited to add, mine is sorta like this one, only a little smaller. The nice thing is you can grind into the (easily) detachable bottom chamber to measure amounts for a recipe, or you can grind directly onto food by removing the top part.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Bought a magnum back in 2000 and never had any problems .easy to fill and wide range of grind sizes. It is made from ABS plastic so It does not break or crack like a wood on if you drppped it.

My only complaint is that it can be hard to grip if hands are oilly or wet.However the plastic is easy to clean and wont absorb anything like a wood mill might i.e. raw chicken juices and the like.

Bought a magnum back in 2000 and never had any problems .easy to fill and wide range of grind sizes. It is made from ABS plastic so It does not break or crack like a wood on if you drppped it.

My only complaint is that it can be hard to grip if hands are oilly or wet.However the plastic is easy to clean and wont absorb anything like a wood mill might i.e. raw chicken juices and the like.

You can put a couple rubber bands on the body of the peppermill and on the top where you do the twisting to prevent your hands from slipping.

Tim Oliver

I'm most interested in getting a peppermill that can be operated with one hand. I had one years ago but I've never seen one recently. Any info would be appreciated.

neroasoluto,

Tons of them out there for you, look here.

Congrats to the original poster of this thread on the new Puegeot. I found my stainless steel Peugeot Peppermill for under $25 at Marshalls. Not a thing wrong with it and it works fabulously!

Peugeot has long been a top favorite brand of professional chefs, especially for fine grinds.

So if you're wanting a fine grind, I recommend the Peugeot or Magnum as well. They're well worth the price even at retail.

I bought my Peugeot at Broadway Panhandler on sale for about $24. If you come into Manhattan, you might want to check them out.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I can tell you what not to buy -- I tried replacing my cheesy-but-functional Pepper Ball with a fancy, handsome, expensive Trudeau pepper mill. It broke within a couple of weeks. Lifetime warranty, Trudeau sent me a new one immediately, and -- it broke. I threw it out and went back to the Pepper Ball (which, BTW, my disabled sister-in-law loves, it being the only pepper grinder she can operate with one hand).

My friend who used to work for a spice wholesaler has had one of these Peppermates forever. It's a joy to use, and I covet it.

Edited by katzenjammy (log)
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain

I have 3 Perfex pepper mills. One is 30 years old and still works fine.

I bought a second one about 10-12 years ago just for white pepper.

I bought the third just for allspice 3 or 4 years ago. (allspice is so tough it wore out another type of mill.)

They are not cheap but they say they will last a lifetime and so far they have been proven correct.

Check at shopping.com to find the best price. Get the 4 1/2 inch model.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've been using this model for both salt and pepper now for many years. I too seemed to break every other pepper mill I got my hands on until I bought this one. About 5 years later I bought the salt mill.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

• 11 months later...

Can anyone reccommend a pepper mill that can grind coarse. years ago I bought one who's model name was 'Steak au Poivre', thats the kind of grind I am after.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

I don't know how coarse is "coarse" for you, but I'm extremely happy with the range of grinds and ease of use of my Unicorn Magnum Plus.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'd recommend a pestle and mortar for a coarse grind - if you need a lot it is actually quicker (I think) , and you can get better consistency.

On saying that I have been using a pestle and mortar all the time since my grinder died on me - you guarantee all the pepper has been freshly ground (you always get some hanging around in the mill) and good control on the fineness.

My housemates do look at me like I'm weird though!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Way back in the 70's I built up a small collection of Peugeot Freres pepper grinders.

Recently I added two large grinders, but couldn't find that brand when I was shopping. Both of the new ones are ceramic rather than stainless steel, and they are not as good as the the old Peugeots. The older ones grind better, and are more controllable, with a coarse grind easy to get.

I think I'll be looking for Peugeots in garage sales, or perhaps even ebay.

I have an Ikea pepper mill that has a fully adjustable ceramic grinder in the bottom, you can go anywhere between cracking the peppercorns in half to fine powder. The best part about it is the price $6. I have one for salt and one for pepper, then I bought extras to give as gifts.

I don't know how coarse is "coarse" for you, but I'm extremely happy with the range of grinds and ease of use of my Unicorn Magnum Plus.

I concur with Alex. It's an awesome mill.

In a pinch, you could always use your cast iron skillet to whack the peppercorns enough to crack 'em coarsely. Put the peppercorns in a plastic bag, lay them on your cutting board and whomp away with the skillet. A little noisy but a great way to vent if you've had a bad day. :wink:

Tim Oliver

I concur with Alex. It's an awesome mill.

In a pinch, you could always use your cast iron skillet to whack the peppercorns enough to crack 'em coarsely. Put the peppercorns in a plastic bag, lay them on your cutting board and whomp away with the skillet. A little noisy but a great way to vent if you've had a bad day. :wink:

I third the Unicorn Magnum. Love it.

I second the vote for William Bounds. They make a quality product and stand by it. I returned a twenty three year old grinder that still worked excellently but had a crack in its Lucite case. The crack was my own fault. I dropped the grinder on a tile floor. Not only did I get a brand new grinder that was EXACTLY the same, but I was also rewarded with a tube of grinding salt and a tube of pepper blend for my trouble.

They are a pleasure to do business with and also back up their product. What else could you ask for?

Elie

Eliahu Yeshua

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.

- Alice May Brock