• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepper and Salt Mills/Grinders

Fat Guy

I have both peugot and trudeau. The peugot is better by far.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have Peugot and Perfex. I bought my first Perfex around 25 years ago and it was beautiful - and went with my ex during divorce. The new (10 years ago) Perfex does not have the same smooth grinding action as the first one, but I'm still using it because it's easy to fill and easy to adjust. I still haven't really used the Peugot that much, but I'll get around to it. (It came with a sample of peppercorns in it that were the best black peppercorns I'd ever had.)

peugeot is my choice. It just stands the test of time and still grinds like new. My mother still uses her 25+ year old peugeot mill as her one and only and still works like a charm.

The Peugeot I bought a couple of months ago after soliciting views from others on eGullet is not only nice to look at, but it works like a fine piece of machinery should. It did set me back the equivalent of about $100 US, though.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Wow... talk about making me feel like a neophyte. I purchased an Oxo good grips (about US$15) 5 years ago and I love it. Granted, it looks chintzy, but I am quite satisfied with it. It grinds good volumes per crank turn, has reasonable cracking and grinding ability and is "infinitely" adjustable for grind fine-ness.

Where can I find things like the peugeot and others? I am in Nebraska, USA which is somewhat of a wasteland where it comes to finding decent cooking utensils.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Where can I find things like the peugeot and others?

Do a Google.com search looking for "pepper mill peugeot" and you'll find lots of places selling them online. The prices don't seem to differ too much from site to site. You could also do a search just for "pepper mill" and you'll find oodles of choices.

I also have the Oxo "ball" but I found I like too much pepper too much and was getting carpal tunnel using the handgrips. :wink:

My brother gave me a Mr. Dudley battery-operated grinder as a Christmas present that, surprisingly, actually works rather well.

If you get the chance, look for the Unicorn brand Magnum pepper mills. They "ain't as pretty as a Peugeot" but others have posted that their output is very good and the grind is easily changed.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Having decided to acquire a Peugeot pepper mill, I have searched in vain for their website. Does anyone know where one could get a rundown of their models and the different features? I've already looked over the pepper mill threads, but was hoping for some local expert input. Are the mechanisms all the same with just different aesthetics?

Currently the top two contenders for me are

Fidgi

7 -Inch

The Paris looks good too, but is not in stock.

Thanks.

edit:typos

Edited by smazo (log)

I would reccomend that you consider the Magnum pepper mill by Unicorn instead (http://www.peppergun.com/index.html). There is no difference in output between the magnum and the magnum plus. The magnum plus hold more pepper. The magnum is in the same price range as the two mills you mentioned. I have the magnum plus. It is hands down the BEST pepper mill I've used in my entire life. The output is fanstatic. I'm not exagerating when I say that I generate the same amount of pepper in 1/4 turn of the knob as three full turns on a normal pepper mill. It is also really easy to adjust the finess of the grind. There is a little knob to turn at the bottom. I bought the pepper mill because of a cooks illustrated review. They loved it. I have to agree.

• 2 months later...

I have, among others, the Tom David Unicorn Magnum Plus. It holds an amazing amount of peppercorns and puts out the pepper like a snowstorm.

I also like my big Turkish brass coffee grinder, set to a different grind.

I tried salt mills but finally settled on a simple box of kosher salt and a salt pig. :rolleyes:

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

I think the Magnum Plus is the one that came out on top in a Cooks Illustrated product testing.

I have never seen the point of salt grinders. Am I missing something?

edit to add: Yep. CI did pick the Magnum.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

A couple years ago, I bought a $30 model because I thought it was ridiculous to pay $60. It had a 3-position "adjustable" mechanism that in practice dispensed only very coarse. I returned it and bought the $60 Perfex, which works like a dream. I'm sure I could have found something cheaper that worked just as well, but I had lost my energy for comparison shopping.

Before that I had a clear plastic model that my mom bought at Crate and Barrel in the early '80s. It worked perfectly for almost 20 years, although it wasn't adjustable. I'm sure it cost $10 or less.

The model I returned, by the way, was made by William Bounds. I have been assured that they make excellent grinders in general, and that this was just a defective unit, but I say, make sure the thing is really adjustable.

As to whether it's really worth it compared to a M & P, probably not, except in terms of convenience. Or if you can find something cheaper than mine.

I have a Perfex and one of those tall brass Turkish numbers. I love the Perfex for small quantities because the action is comfortable and natural and because the grind is endlessly adjustable. One drawback is that it needs frequent refilling due to its small stature.

The Turkish grinder is aces for cranking out large quantities, fast. Grind is adjustable, and the receptacle catches and holds it neatly. The only problem is that it has "The Frugal Gourmet" engraved on the side. It was a gift (I swear).

I have the Magnum and a couple Williams-Bounds battery operated mills.

The Magnum really puts out the pepper quickly. If you need alot of pepper, like a tablespoon, it'll do it for ya. It is easy to fill, and holds about 6 oz. at a time. If both hands are free and clean, it's my preferred mill.

The battery operated ones grind an average amount of pepper, but the one-handed operation can be very convenient much of the time. They are difficult to fill, and don't hold more than 1/4 C.

Just some thoughts to consider.

What about salt mills, any thoughts on those?

There's no reason to use a salt mill, except for symmetry on the table. Salt is salt, no matter how fine or coarse it is -- it doesn't ever get stale. Hence, no need to grind "fresh" salt.

I have a brass Atlas pepper mill. The one I have is 7 1/2". I'm a bit ashamed of the fact that I spent $45 on a pepper mill. Seems rather extravagant.

I've only had this pepper mill for a few months, but I'm very happy with it. I used to have one of those pepper ball where you squeeze two handles to grind. The atlas mill grind much faster, more evenly, and is much easier to adjust.