• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepper and Salt Mills/Grinders

Fat Guy

@Madison Smith  a lot of the material on your blog does not read as if it were written by a native English speaker.  Are all the reviews your own?

Pretty pepper grinder though.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@Madison Smith  a lot of the material on your blog does not read as if it were written by a native English speaker.  Are all the reviews your own?

Pretty pepper grinder though.

A lot of the earlier posts were outsourced due to time issues - I've been writing by myself more and more now lately, and taking the time to fix old posts as the site is picking up some traction lately. Time is suddenly abundant due to the virus ;) 

Yes, I'm taking a liking to more classical cooking tools like cast iron/copper based stuff lately. They might not hold up against modern materials, but they certainly have their own allure! 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Treated myself to these two for the table when we are eating casually:

IMG_3209.jpg.e50bff99556d21b561db3b349224cd14.jpg

I have some really pretty ones that will still go on the table when we are "dressing up", but they hold table salt and coarse grind pepper.  This way I can put Maldon salt flakes and peppercorns on the table.  I collect green Depression glass and display it in the dining room, so the salt cellar is perfect.  The pepper grinder a 5 1/2-inch Mincham.  

• Like 6

Drooling on the glass - green is  my color and I adore glass . I re-use the Trader Joe pepper grinder and add peppercorns of choice - usually just cheap but fresh. I want to try my local guys sea salt but can't get over - life!  - 10 minutes but  https://terranealife.com/tastes-born-in-terraneas-new-sea-salt-conservatory/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Drooling on the glass - green is  my color and I adore glass . I re-use the Trader Joe pepper grinder and add peppercorns of choice - usually just cheap but fresh. I want to try my local guys sea salt but can't get over - life!  - 10 minutes but  https://terranealife.com/tastes-born-in-terraneas-new-sea-salt-conservatory/

Ah! It took a bit of Google’s help, but Terranea is on the site of the former “Marineland of the Pacific” 😢 Abalone Cove was ringing some bells. Now I feel old... Not that I didn’t already know.😂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

Ah! It took a bit of Google’s help, but Terranea is on the site of the former “Marineland of the Pacific” 😢 Abalone Cove was ringing some bells. Now I feel old... Not that I didn’t already know.😂

I went to Marymount high school above it - watched whales migrate. Yes Marineland - home of  Orky and Corky. Not the finest moment in wildlife management but - different times  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marineland_of_the_Pacific  I did remodel the Point Vicente Interpretive Center :).  

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Stadd note: This post and responses to/following it have been split from the Season to taste: discuss topic, to keep the discussion focused.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:13 PM, Kim Shook said:

Always salt and pepper shakers on the table.

Exactly. I have these always on the table, one filled with Sicilian sea salt, the other Tellicherry peppercorns...

image.thumb.png.e87940b8f778e13e256bd1d238c2912d.png

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Yep!  That's the peppermill I have.  

Me too.  Love the design of them -- being able to use the lid for a holding dish when you're grinding large quantities for cooking.  Also, upside down design means no pepper scat on the tablecloth or elsewhere.

But I'm on my third sample of the salt mill because the grinding mechanism keeps clogging and cracking.  I suspect it's because I live in such a humid climate.  Anybody else experienced that with mills?

24 minutes ago, CookBot said:

pepper scat

Love it!

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, lindag said:

I have had this peppermill for decades: 

See it here.

I see Ina Garten using it now as well.

And they also make a salt mill which I may have to get.

WORD!    Sure, it looks clownish, but this is, iMHO, hands down the best mill out there.    We have one in town, one in the country and son has absconded with at least one.  Super easy adjustments.    We had ours for probably 40 years!   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I have had this peppermill for decades: 

See it here.

I see Ina Garten using it now as well.

And they also make a salt mill which I may have to get.

Well, she probably stole it from Jacques, who has had that one for a long time!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

In my kitchen, I have slightly different ones.

2 of these (eG-friendly Amazon.com link), for 2 different coarse salts...

image.thumb.png.48272d06b362c32adb9d07d5a4e7352a.png

And 2 pepper mills (white and black), thought this is the main one for Tellicherry...

image.png.2f7649b57527d55b50322d2c589f5134.png

The Magnum Plus, baby!  Huge capacity, which works for me.

And @CookBot - our climate isn't quite as humid as yours, but it's fairly humid; I haven't noticed any of the problems you've seen.

I feel like the @JoNorvelleWalker of salt and pepper mills.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, CookBot said:

Me too.  Love the design of them -- being able to use the lid for a holding dish when you're grinding large quantities for cooking.  Also, upside down design means no pepper scat on the tablecloth or elsewhere.

This!  It's my only complaint about my stove-side Unicorn Magnum mill - the mess of pepper on the counter.  Even with the little plate thingy underneath it gets scattered.  

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

This!  It's my only complaint about my stove-side Unicorn Magnum mill - the mess of pepper on the counter.  Even with the little plate thingy underneath it gets scattered.  

Me too - until I bought a little square plexiglas cube to sit it in. I think it was meant for cosmetics, I got it from Dollarama.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Given my love of pepper this might be quite dangerous in my hands. I might be doomed to a life of no flavour other than pepper. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This is the salt grinder(s) we have and love them AmazonSmile: NEW OXO Good Grips Contoured Mess-Free Salt Grinder: Home & Kitchen and we have multiple Magnum paper mills around which are the best Peppermill I've ever had! Yes, you get some residual out of the bottom when you set it down but they do a great course grind which is what we both love!

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

We use a Magnum Unicorn Plus (that I got on closeout for $15) and a couple Atlas grinders in brass and chrome. I keep the Magnum on a coarser setting and an Atlas on fine and keep those beside my salt cellar by the stovetop. The multiple grinder system makes it so I can just reach for the grind I want instead of adjusting it. The other Atlas grinder lives on the table.

If I had infinity billion dollars, I'd get a Pepper Cannon or Weber Moulin grinder. And I must confess that while I see no purpose in having a salt grinder, I would probably get the matching Weber one if I had infinity billion dollars. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, btbyrd said:

If I had infinity billion dollars, I'd get a Pepper Cannon or Weber Moulin grinder. And I must confess that while I see no purpose in having a salt grinder, I would probably get the matching Weber one if I had infinity billion dollars. 

If you stopped buying all those knives, you'd probably have a billion dollars.

• Haha 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I much prefer the rotating handle type to the wrist-twist design.

originally had a William Bounds model; the handle chrome plating flaked off; email requesting info on 'better model' went unanswered

so I've got the OXO Good Grips model.  it has a click detent fineness adjustment - switching coarse to fine back to coarse is very repeatable.

just recently ditched an old wrist twister for white pepper with the same OXO.

one long term note.... the OXO has a clip on plastic bottom tray.  very effective, but over time all things plastic tend to distort.  I have to be 'aware' it will pop off easily - minor nit, but a nit.....

• Like 1