• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepper and Salt Mills/Grinders

Fat Guy

Let's say, hypothetically, that you drop your brass turkish coffee grinder used for grinding pepper into a pot of oil.

How would you clean it? Surely not run it under water. Is there another way? Use brass polisher? But what about the innards that have some oil in them?

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Let's say, hypothetically, that you drop your brass turkish coffee grinder used for grinding pepper into a pot of oil.

How would you clean it?

Hypothetically, I would try to dismatle it as best I could and then spray it inside and out with a degreaser and rinse with very hot water. Repeat until there was no more oil then dry it inside and out. Use a hair drier if needed to get the insides. Polish the outside if it needs it and refill.

Hypothetically, I would try to dismatle it as best I could and then spray it inside and out with a degreaser and rinse with very hot water.  Repeat until there was no more oil then dry it inside and out.  Use a hair drier if needed to get the insides.  Polish the outside if it needs it and refill.

That sounds easy enough! Hypothetically, the de-greaser could be sourced today!

Thanks! (hypothetically, of course. :wink: )

Edited by prasantrin (log)

• 4 years later...

This is an old thread, so I thought I'd try bringing it up to date.

I'm starting to look for a battery operated pepper grinder. I'd like one that has an adjustable grind, perhaps one that works with rechargeable batteries, but definitely one that uses AA cells. Good quality is more important than price, but I'd like to keep the price reasonable. Also, I'd like to find one that will handle the sometimes larger Tellicherry and other peppercorns. Any suggestions?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Not battery, but I have various Peugeots collected ... but my faves are the Oxos for salt and pepper.

I have a Peugeot that does a pretty good job, although it works better for a fine grind than for a rough grind. However, my arthritis sometimes makes it difficult to use a manual grinder, so a battery operated grinder is a must have item to supplement my manual grinders.

... Shel

I'm still using all of the Trudeau Elite pepper mills pictured here and all are at least 3 years old. One is older.

I do not like the ones that discharge pepper from the bottom.

Some people seem to have problems filling and replacing the batteries but I have arthritis in my hands and I have not had a problem. Frankly, I think some people simply do not read the instructions or don't follow them.

I originally got one as a gift, then bought more because I have several different types of peppercorns that I use all the time so I have "dedicated" mills for each type.

I have one of the smaller "ceramic" grinders"- that also dispenses pepper from the top - for the more unusual types that I use only on rare occasions. It works nicely, is easy to adjust and is inexpensive.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

Having recently rejoined eG after several years, I'm pleased to report that my Magnum pepper grinder (which I ordered after reading this thread) continues to hold up well. It's aesthetically unattractive, and the plastic shell doesn't feel as regal as the peugeots do but it seems to put out a consistently good grinding. Occasionally the tension screw on the bottom needs to be re-tightened (probably slipping due to regular use) but no complaints otherwise.

I too bought a Unicorn Magnum because of this thread, and it's great. The only thing that holds it back from being perfect is that it won't grind quite fine enough for certain things. I have another pepper mill that I use when I need a very fine grind but it takes about five turns to equal one from the Magnum.

To quote myself: Today I received my factory-direct Unicorn Magnum. THIS THING KICKS ASS ALL OVER MY PEUGEOT PEPPER MILL!! The way this thing spews forth pepper is astounding. I'm talking like an 1/8th turn on the Magnum is like two full turns on the Peugeot.

We've been using our Magnum everyday for over seven years now -- no regrets, everybody should own one, buy now!!1!

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

How does the Perfex compare?

They are about the same as the Peugeots, very nice-looking but certainly not as efficient at grinding as the Magnums are! If you want something pretty close the Peugeot or the Perfex, if you really want a good grinder go with the Magnums!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I too bought a Unicorn Magnum because of this thread, and it's great. The only thing that holds it back from being perfect is that it won't grind quite fine enough for certain things. I have another pepper mill that I use when I need a very fine grind but it takes about five turns to equal one from the Magnum.

I love my Magnum but concur with your observation about the lack of a fine grind. When I want a fine grind, I usually twist the bottom screw/knob until it's completely closed and then back it off a bit. I can get a somewhat fine grind but have discovered that the screw/knob must turn during use as the grind gets less fine the more I use the Magnum. But, for the most part, I'm okay with that.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 years later...

Sorry for flogging an old thread....  I am thinking of buying a Peugeot grinder. Does anyone know if the prices are cheaper in France? Is it worth buying it on an upcoming trip and then schleping it home?

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Here's what I've learned about shopping in France:

1) Most items sell at or near their MSRP.

2) Things rarely go on sale.

3) When an item does go on sale, the discounted price might not be available to tourists, i.e. you have to possess the department store credit card to get the sale price.

Right now, the Peugeot 23393 is €34,50 at Galeries Lafayette and $30.14 at Amazon.  Model No. 23331 is €47,80 and $49.95, respectively.

In short, I only [try to :rolleyes:] buy things I'll never see back home -- which with today's globalization, is not a whole lot.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

• 1 year later...

Any new pepper mill recommendations?

I do have several.

One real good one—an older Zassenhaus (West Germany) that grinds very evenly...haven't been able to find one exactly like it — reasonably priced.

Have a couple Penzey grinders, but, unfortunately, they don't grind evenly. Maybe the newer Penzey mills are better!?

The rest are pretty much junk. xD

I'd like to find a couple good mills for some pepper blends.

Thanks!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Magnum all the way. I was given three. I have a large one for use in the kitchen, a smaller one that's suitable for the table and a tiny one that tucks into my purse.  I've had them all for probably five years and they just keep on ticking.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I use the Unicorn Magnum as well.  I agree with what @Toliver said upthread about needing to re-tighten the screw to maintain the finest grind but I've gotten used to that.

On 9/24/2013 at 9:36 AM, Toliver said:

I love my Magnum but concur with your observation about the lack of a fine grind. When I want a fine grind, I usually twist the bottom screw/knob until it's completely closed and then back it off a bit. I can get a somewhat fine grind but have discovered that the screw/knob must turn during use as the grind gets less fine the more I use the Magnum. But, for the most part, I'm okay with that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shel_B said:

We've had the Cole & Mason Derwent grinder that they recommend for a couple of years and have no regrets whatsoever.  I can't imagine ever needing a one with better functionality, but you might want a different style to better match your decor.  Amazon has several pages of models offered by them - including at least several in the same price range with very similar-looking mechanical designs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rustwood said:

We've had the Cole & Mason Derwent grinder that they recommend for a couple of years and have no regrets whatsoever.  I can't imagine ever needing a one with better functionality, but you might want a different style to better match your decor.  Amazon has several pages of models offered by them - including at least several in the same price range with very similar-looking mechanical designs.

That's good to  know.  I've been mulling over the idea of a new grinder or two, so I'll take a look.  Thanks!

... Shel

I have purchased exactly one pepper mill for myself since I was born 69 years ago. When I first started cooking in my twenties I bought what looked then to be a revolutionary little item. That was the Perfex. I still have it. The adjustment nut always worked pretty well. The capacity is very small (I was a cash-poor student then.) My husband of 30 years came with a pepper mill, one of those classic teak Danish jobs that he inherited from an aunt. Adjustments also were pretty decent and we used it for many years. I never minded the fact that you had to unscrew the top, in fact I sort of liked it.

When my mother died four years ago I acquired the Magnum that I had in fact given her several years before. I like it just fine. It grinds easily, has good capacity and is a snap to fill. The wrist action is very satisfying. I don't find the adjustment to be that accurate but it holds a medium coarse grind which works fine for me, so I rarely bother to change it. I do agree that if you want a fine grind or you like to change grinds frequently it isn't that easy to control. 

I use the Magnum every day for cooking and table use. The Perfex is now dedicated to Sichuan peppercorns. It's a bit cranky after all these years but it doesn't get used more than a couple of times a week, takes up just about no counter space and certainly has paid for itself after 45 or so years. The Danish Modern mill is around somewhere, but where is a mystery. I'm sure I kept it in case of some kind of pepper emergency. You never know. I hear fallout shelters may be coming back.

• Like 3