• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Binh Duong

tommy

We should note that they are open 7 days a week!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

ok, this place will give Little Saigon a run for its money.

the pho was a bit on the oily side, which i don't prefer, but it was pretty damned good. not *quite* to the standards of Little Saigon, imo, but better than most pho that i've had.

the grilled pork over vermicelli was great, if not a bit on the smallish side.

that lotus, pork, and shrimp salad was awesome. thanks rachel!! it will no doubt be one of those dishes that we "crave". there aren't many things on the planet that get that honor.

they brought things out too quickly, but that's to be expected. i've learned to order the apps first, and then the entrees later, but i forgot this time. our server spoke perfect english (as an obnoxious american, along with not learning french, italian, and german, i also haven't learned vietnamese, if that's even the name of the language).

i'm glad Little Saigon isn't open now, because i'd feel guilty splitting my time between the two. the decision will be very, very difficult when LS opens again.

the asian market next door is pretty good. a good selection of thai ingredients, which i appreciate. definitely worth a walk around if you're in the neighborhood.

either my friend told me, or i read it here, but apparently LS is opening someone other than its previous location. sorry if i'm repeating someone here.

Edited by tommy (log)

Tommy, according to our server, who was a former Little Saigon employee, it will be re-opening somewhere in Bloomfield, not in its former location.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

...and even my takeout order of Pho Tai was DElicious today!! The meat we had last night and what was in my soup today was great; I must have had a bad piece or two on my first visit. I'm predicting that I at least take out from there once a week! Sigh...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

My husband and I had a very quick late lunch at Binh Duong yesterday. Although we only ordered three dishes, it was pretty good and very reasonably priced. I would not put it on a par with Little Saigon, however. We had the hot, chewy spring rolls (interesting texture) and the grilled pork over vermicelli (sweet and tasty). We also had a very interesting steamed rice crepe stuffed with pork and mushrooms and accompanied by Vietnamese "ham". We would definitely give this place another try when we have more time and a bigger appetite.

This weekend we really craved Little Saigon. Ended up having to eat at home both days. I live in Nutley and was one of their frequest visitors. After reading all of the reviews of this new place , I am willing to give it a try . Where is it?

I am in Nutley. Thanks

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Binh Duong -- in the East West Shopping Plaza

61 1/2 Belleville Ave

Bloomfield NJ 07003

Phone 973-680-8440/8441

Actually, we ate there recently and were disappointed. We kept saying--we must have orderred the wrong things. We do much better when Jason or Rachel order!

Had the spring roll which tasted like dry hamburger meat; crispy squid which was as tender as a rubber band; a sweet/sour shrimp soup which was too sweet;and sauteed shrimp with ginger and scallions which was boring.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Wiener,

It's on Belleville Ave...take Washington Ave to Belleville Ave, and it's all of about 1 1/2 miles up on your right--in the Forest Hills strip mall (just after the A&P mall). It's the first storefront on the far right as you pull in to the (always crowded) lot.

No, it's a different strip mall than Taste (I think?). And they only take cash for the time being since they did not get their credit card machine yet. I also have to agree that Little Saigon was better.

Taste is in the A&P mall...BD is in the one just after it--I think it's called Forest Hill.

Maybe one of you can tell me about Taste...I noticed the sign, but haven't been there. Any good? It says it's a lounge and restaurant--what kind of atmosphere and menu?

More Binh Duong tonight, with few repeats:

i3016.jpg

Sauteed beef over Noodle Salad (Bun)

i3017.jpg

Beef and onion rolls over tiny vermicelli

i3018.jpg

Sauteed beef cube over salad

i3020.jpg

Shrimp fried rice

i3021.jpg

Fried Squid

We had to try this dish after Rosie was so disappointed in it. It came out tongue burningly hot and freshly fried, and not overly chewy. It was especially good with a dip into the offered condiment of salt/pepper/lime wedge. You squeeze the lime juice into the salt & pepper and mix. Nice accompaniment to the squid.

i3022.jpg

Chicken with Ginger (very gingery, mmm.)

i3023.jpg

Crab and Shrimp Noodle Soup (large pieces of real crab)

i3025.jpg

Fried Tofu with Lemongrass

(just like the Shrimp with Lemongrass with large diced bell peppers, only with tofu)

i3019.jpg

Corn pudding dessert -- this was offered complimentarily. It was really good.

Note: Pictures by Jason, Captions by Rachel

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

i've had a few more outstanding meals here recently.

the fried salt and pepper squid is as good a version of this as i've had anywhere. i could eat it every day.

they need to sort out that front door with the cold weather we've been having. the door is always left open by clueless customers. i counted the 2 servers closing the door no less than 15 times during the course of a quick dinner.

they should also get more tables in there. the room is set up completely inefficiently. it looks like they do a pretty good business: the entire restaurant was full/turned over during my last meal.

Edited by tommy (log)

We (my SO Sheila & I) decided to drive over to Bloomfield last night thanks to this thread. Binh Duong made for a delightful experience & is a superb value IMHO.

We arrived at 9:10, a bit later than I'd hoped, but life gets complicated. (We tend to be late diners anyway.) There was only one other couple in the place & they finished & left about 10 minutes later, so we got all the attention we coiuld want.

We perused the soups & immediately ordered the Shrimp & Crabmeat soup. The bean sprouts/hot peppers plate appeared quickly, then the soup. Wonderfully invigorating. By that time we'd decided on the Mixed Seafood with Crispy Egg Noodles & ordered that. I was on the verge of ordering the Grilled Pork w Steamed Vermicelli as well, but the waiter said that the seafood dish was quite large & we'd likely have enough food between that & the soup. We took him at his word & he was correct, I was hard pressed to finish the last bits of cabbage & onion by the end.

The noodle dish contained shrimp, those sea legs, what I believe are fried ersatz scallop balls (OK my ignorance is showing), a generous helping of mushrooms & veggies in an oystery brown sauce bracingly flavored with a good quantity of slivered ginger root. All this over extremely thin crispy noodles. You have to move quickly to push the noodles out of the sauce if you want some of them to remain crisp.

A tasty dish, though I feel it would work better at a larger table, as something to complement a couple of other dishes with different textures & flavors.

Rec'd some extremely bad family news at this point & had to cut this short. Just popping in for a moment to add that. I'll be back on line, & we'll be back at Binh Duong, eventually.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Now that I figured out where this place is,  how hard is it to get in on a Friday night at around 7, let's say this Friday night?  Are the waits as long as Little Saigon?

probably a wait. i don't know if they take reservations, so i suppose you should call.

Edited by tommy (log)

I'd be surprised if they would hold a table unless it's for a big group (6 or more), but it's certainly worth a call. Fwiw, the first time I went was on a Fri night around 7:15 and 3 of us were seated at one of the 6-tops because the other tables were all full. There are VERY few tables, but the turnover was fairly quick, and there was a line of people waiting for both tables and takeout by the time we left around 8:15.

Edited by Curlz (log)