• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving

Stone

I'm unpacking in my New York kitchen. Oh, the memories of San Francisco. 6 deep kicthen cabinets, large under the counter storage, a walk in pantry. Now. Not.

Anyone know where I can buy those nice chrome kitchen shelves? The one I saw at Home Depot were pretty cheap. They looked like plastic.

Edited by Stone (log)

Welcome to NY, Stone.

Chrome can become dilluted, with spills from different acids, and salts. Most kitchen shelving would be constructed of stainless, avoiding these "pitfalls".

The new wood composites, can make perfect companions to indoor and outdoor food storage and prep area's.

woodburner

Where'd you live in SF, stone? I don't think I've ever seen an apartment kitchen around here like that. I wanna live there!

Are you kidding. Anyone who thinks apartments are worse in SF has never been to NY. I had a 1400 sq ft duplex, 2 bedroom, with 2.5 baths, roof deck, parking for a car & motorcycle, laundry in the unit, and a huge kitchen. For $2375. In New York, it would have been $4K easy.

Where'd you live in SF, stone? I don't think I've ever seen an apartment kitchen around here like that. I wanna live there!

Are you kidding. Anyone who thinks apartments are worse in SF has never been to NY. I had a 1400 sq ft duplex, 2 bedroom, with 2.5 baths, roof deck, parking for a car & motorcycle, laundry in the unit, and a huge kitchen. For $2375. In New York, it would have been $4K easy.

Sounds like your happier here already.

Well, at least the weather is better here in NY at this time of year.

Honestly now,

what drugs were you taking, to move you here, from there?

Forgo the kitchen stuff, and eat out as much as you would like. We certainly have an array of choices.

Again, Welcome to NY. :laugh:

woodburner

Sounds like your happier here already.

Well, at least the weather is better here in NY at this time of year.

Honestly now,

what drugs were you taking, to move you here, from there?

Forgo the kitchen stuff, and eat out as much as you would like. We certainly have an array of choices.

Again, Welcome to NY. :laugh:

woodburner

Excellent advice because I would hate to see woodburner's face after the first NY grocery store trip.

woodburner: "the rest of the aisles are where? in the basement?" [inspired by Food Emporium - 3rd Ave/68th or 69th Street]

woodburner: "what do you mean my grocery cart won't fit through the checkout aisle?" [inspired by my old Gramercy Park supermarket and many more I am sure]

I bought that metro-like rack system from Ikea. They have a bunch of attatchments and add-ons like baskets, half racks, clips and what-not. Inexpensive but durable. I bought mine 7 years ago and it is still going strong at my moms house...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

welcome to nyc stone.

i too understand your pain! i lived on polk and sacramento in a three bedroom, two bath, gas fireplace, parking garage with automatic door, washer/dryer in unit, small balcony, HUGE apartment...only to move into a 4th story walk-up one bedroom new york apartment...

beyond ikea, bowery street is full of restaurant supply (industrial) places which would have metro-type shelving or probably even custom made stainless shelving at decent prices. sort of like clement street in the sunset. there's even a more approachable place near union square on 17th street (i think it is called broadway restaurant supply).

good luck settling it in. i loved san francisco, but i certainly do love new york now!

alana

I bought this one at Sams Club in Westchester, they cell the same thing at costco too.

rack

That's what I was looking for, but the one I saw at Costco didn't seem as nice as ones I'd seen at people's houses. Maybe there are two versions out there.

stone, i'm pretty sure they (container store) have similar racks for less money. i knw that i bought some for extra storage in my basement, and there's no way in hell i spent 454 each. might have been their intermetro line which, while not as nice as the 'spensive ones, aren't all that ugly. might be worth taking a look in person.

Edited by tommy (log)

What about Home Depot?

There's no way I spent $454 on mine. But then I bought it 13 years ago at the now defunct Conrans.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs