• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copious quantities of egg whites

chromedome

The restaurant where I work generates large quantities of egg whites every week, which I am welcome to take home.

I've made angel-food cakes in the standard and cocoa variations, and baked them in flat pans as well as tube pans (the better to make layer cakes with them). I've made cookie-sized meringues several times; also various takes on dacquoises. I've used them to make consomme as well, and fresh pasta.

"Creative fatigue," however, is setting in. What are everyone's favourite things to do with egg whites?

I have two litres in my freezer and four more in my fridge, and I'm running out of ideas. I hate to *not* bring them home (goes against my East-coast frugality gene) but boy, it's getting harder to find things to make with them.

I'm open to sweet or savoury suggestions, even if they're variations on things I've already mentioned. After all, your version might be better than mine...and I won't be sick of them forever...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Egg drop soup and crepes pop to mind.

You may also want to consider donating them to a soup kitchen kind of operation. If they come from a commercial kitchen, I don't think they would have a problem using them, but it depends. If they do have a problem taking them in raw form, make a bunch of desserts or pasta and donate that.

Also Google of egg+white+recipe. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Speaking of Google, FFAR, have you seen this little goodie? It's a Google Hack by Tara Calishain, publisher of ResearchBuzz (a newsletter) and the recent book "Google Hacks."

Cookin' With Google

Limits your results somewhat, but by the same token saves you digging through a gazillion non-recipe hits.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Where do you live? (you could just post the state) I'm sure someone around here would love to have them. But, actually, I second the soup kitchen recommendation.

Me.

Solves my breakfast problem in a heartbeat. And once I'm back on my feet, I'm hitting the gym like nobody's business! :biggrin:

But if bulk shipments of clear liquid goo isn't your thing, there's always souffles.

Soba

Souffles, egg white omelets, swirled into soups, scrambled with mixed seafood.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

There's always cocktails...a lot of them employ egg whites. Start with a Pisco sour. Dale DeGroff's cocktail book is a real winner if you want to go down this road. Or maybe suggest a few of these drinks at work and then you won't have to take all those whites home (or feel guilty about not taking them home.)

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Good idea on the cocktails, Ramos Gin Fizz anyone?

edited: forgot to re-read the original post and suggested Angel Food Cake and consommes... :raz:

That said, I've seen some interesting variations on the basic recipe also. One I've made is: Angel Food Cake spiced with chinese five spice powder (and vanilla and almond) and served with orange creme anglaise (from Tom Douglas in "Home Food".

Emily Luchetti has an interesting recipe in one of her books for an espresso-chocolate chip angel food cake served w/a d. chocolate sauce...

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Souffles....doh!

<insert sound effect of blistered hand sharply striking bald forehead>

Will probably attempt macarons sometime in the near future...Feb 16 is a holiday here in Alberta, so perhaps over the long weekend.

Cocktails, well...I just can't get up for mixed drinks at the best of times. I'm something of a zealot for drinking my spirits neat (if it's not worth drinking neat, it's not worth drinking mixed either...and if it IS worth drinking neat, why adulterate it?).

For tonight, after I take my bread out, I'll probably throw some dacquoises together...I'm thinking I'll do something really rich with layers of chocolate genoise and chocolate mousse and the dacquoise and maybe a ganache glaze. I'll be working on Valentine's Day, so DW deserves something a little special by way of apology, no? :wub:

(DW= De Wife)

I put leftover egg whites, or yolks, in my post-workout protein shake. Leftover bananas or cottage cheese go in there sometimes too.

Come to think, I put leftover anything in my protein shakes. They taste gross anyway. Can't get much worse.

"He who distinguishes the true savour of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise."

Thoreau

home made chewy meringues, sandwiched with cream. mmmm. you can also make harder meringues, then crush them up a bit and stir them into double cream whipped with brandy (rum/kirsch/Cointreau/whatever) and a bit of icing sugar, freeze in a pudding basin and unmold for what my mother calls Snow Queen Bombe.

and of course, you could have the most beautifully clear stock in the history of the world.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Aren't dacquoises mostly egg white? You can layer with all kinds of bad-for-you-but-tasty fillings. . . ganache and buttercream spring to mind.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

• 4 years later...

I'm about to bake and frost a large (wedding-scale) cake that calls for far more yolks than whole eggs. I expect to have at least a quart of egg whites left over. I don't ordinarily bake big cakes, so I'm new to this challenge. Other than meringue, what can I do with them? Savory suggestions especially appreciated.

Angel food cake is a good use for leftover egg whites. Macaroons are also a typical way to use them up.

I can't think of anything savory except egg-white omelette. Maybe just poach the egg whites and use as a salad topping or something like that.

Hmm, never made a souffle before. My initial search turned up several recipes that use whole eggs rather than whites, but I'm sure I just need to look more carefully. Thanks for the ideas (sweet ones included).

Yeah, souffles often use the yolks to enrich the base, then fold in the beaten whites separately, but you can use the whites on their own. Julia Child gives a whites-only cheese souffle recipe in volume 1 of Mastering the Art. I've done a beet souffle in the past that used only the whites.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara